Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 19,368 times

Advertisements

Hello, i was born and raised in n.j. But live in southwest florida.
I am thinking of moving to souix falls. I am in the restaurant industry. I want to know if there are a good amount of jobs in the city, as a server and/or manager? Also, almost all my friends are hispanic, and some will be coming with me. Will they be able to find work in restaurants as well. Will they be treated kindly?
I can handle the snow, but have never seen a tornado! Have and/or do tornado's hit the city?
Any information about any of this and more is helpful.
I understand that everyone is pretty friendly, that is what i like.
Please help.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 11:40 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,150,391 times
I realize that when a person wants to leave a particular place they put out feelers in the areas they want to go to. I've noticed that you've posted in 3 different towns/area's. Those three are VERY different.

What made you choose Sioux Falls? Just curious.

As far as jobs are concerned, Sioux Falls almost always had restaurant type jobs available.

As far as bring a bunch of hispanic friends with you, it's still not a problem as far as being accepted into the community. There shouldn't be a problem.

Now don't get me wrong, but why is a group of Hispanics wanting to move as a pack to Sioux Falls?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 AM

697 posts, read 1,283,630 times
i am going to be nice

Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 19,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I realize that when a person wants to leave a particular place they put out feelers in the areas they want to go to. I've noticed that you've posted in 3 different towns/area's. Those three are VERY different.

What made you choose Sioux Falls? Just curious.

As far as jobs are concerned, Sioux Falls almost always had restaurant type jobs available.

As far as bring a bunch of hispanic friends with you, it's still not a problem as far as being accepted into the community. There shouldn't be a problem.

Now don't get me wrong, but why is a group of Hispanics wanting to move as a pack to Sioux Falls?
Here is the info a little more detailed: from new jersey, lived in Nashville, and now live in Florida. Only ONE Hispanic friend is coming with me. I am white, he is from Central America.
I for some reason (and not sure why) am attracted to that area of the country. I have always had the feeling to move to N.D., S.D. or Minnesota. I have been doing a little research on Souix Falls and it seems like a nice city.
So, no it is not a bunch of Hispanics....only one. But it is more me than him that wants the Hispanic area. I am just used to Hispanics being from Jersey.
Is there a decent population of Hispanics there? What area of the city can I find them in?
I just want a safe, clean city, where I can work, and one day buy a house.
Love Florida, but there is just so much crime down here, and in the restaurant industry it is only busy now thru May, when everyone is down here away from the snow!! (many plates from S.D., N.D, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio...ect ect.
What abut TORNADOES? I have never seen one. are they common there?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:21 PM

hmmm living in florida, posting the same post asking about Tenn and Virgina --something smells of carp to me.. I will nibble on this for a moment-- we do have a population of latinos up herebut from what I read in the papers many are being arrested for DUI's and assult and driving without licences -- from what I am told many are working in the meat packing industry- we do have tornados up here that make entire towns disappear off the face of the map-- not as bad as Texas Okla, or Kansas 0-- winters can be cold as hell -- depends on where you live for crime-- just this weekend a guy took a double barrell and took out his friend while drinking, Soux Falls is on its way to becoming the armed robbery capital of the U.S.

good luck as to whatever your choice is-- darn this fish just fell off the hook in the imortal words of Forrest Gump-- Have a Nice Day

Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,881,398 times
South Dakota tornado and divorce have one thing in common... Somoene is going to lose a trailer hosue.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
Wow, some people are...wow. A few real things about South Dakota...

Yes, we have tornadoes. No, they aren't nearly as bad as people think they are. It isn't like the movie "Twister" every day. There are tornadoes that will do a lot of damage but the death rates are low as we can see them coming pretty much every time. In fact, a few friends and I used to chase tornadoes growing up. We have some pretty cool footage...

The restaurant industry is just fine here in Sioux Falls and seems to be growing. The Sioux Falls metro area has been expanding extremely rapidly in the last 20 years and is looking like it will continue to grow and with that comes more desire from the community for venues of entertainment, including restaurants. You should be able to find something. It seems like a new restaurant is opening every week.

I wouldn't say there is a huge Hispanic population is Sioux Falls but I do have a few friends who are Hispanic and they are treated with respect. Yes, anyplace you go there will be those people who are racist (but tell you their not) but don't let that spoil your thoughts on the rest of the city (is Sioux Falls big enough yet to be a city?)

Winters up here are not a cup of tea...unless your from the Canadian tundra I suppose. I love the snow but that isn't the problem here. It gets freaking cold. It is not uncommon to go for extended periods of time with subzero temperatures and 20+ mph winds. The kind of weather where cars just stop starting unless you have a block heater. But that is just during the winter time. Come summer it gets hot and humid. Yes, we know hot. 100+ isn't uncommon. It isn't quite as humid here as in south Florida but it can be enough some days to be slightly uncomfortable. Some people hate the extremes. I find the change in seasons enjoyable

I have come and go from South Dakota but to me, the high plains is always be God's country.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Wow, some people are...wow. honest in the way they feel and have no problem telling them how they feel

Old 12-06-2010, 04:05 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,150,391 times
Jersey69boy,

haha, thanks for the reply. Your first post made it sound like there was you and a bunch coming and I was leary of the post. That's why I asked the questions I did. Wasn't trying to offend.

Sioux Falls, like mentioned, has expanded in the last decade or so and has a "lot" of great places to eat. My sister lives down there and she's always trying to get me to come visit. Sorry, I'll stick with my mountains.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,881,398 times
Well silly thing is most of the restaurants are chain and thing local or really elegant.

Tornado's... Ask the citizens of Spencer or Manchester about tornado's. There have been storms that make top 10 lists for severity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls