Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM

56 posts, read 224,715 times

Advertisements

Which area did you choose to live? I have been looking at the downtown area thinking it would be easier to walk to restaurants, pubs etc.

If you had to recommend an area in SF for a single guy to live (renting at first) where would you?

I would like something were walking to restaurants, bars, outdoor/street fairs...just general fun activities.

There really isn't a "downtown scene" in Sioux Falls. There are a few bars and a couple of outdoor festivals downtown during the summer, but the nightlife and restaurant scene is spread out around town. There is not much for public trans available and with everything spread out, walking is uncommon - most people drive where they need to go.
As far as rentals, depends on what you're looking for. There are lots of large apartment complexes around the mall which is where most of the restaurants are centered. There are rentals available pretty much anywhere around town, so depends on what you're looking for. Either way it only takes 15-20 minutes to drive across town, so everything's reachable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM

56 posts, read 224,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
if these people really think Sioux Falls is that good they need to get out more. Just saying. It's not bad but it's far from the best place on earth. After spending a couple of weeks in WI I miss the higher population density, prettier terrain, and really can't stomach the idea of spending long term in Brookings. There's just nothing here...

Depends on your priorities. For me personally, there are several places I would rather be, but Sioux Falls does have a lot going for it that appeals to some people. Some people LIKE living places where "there's just nothing here" because they don't want the larger population and the problems that brings.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM

4,879 posts, read 6,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure about the schools because we don't have any children so not familiar with that....Some of the downsides about Harrisburg since its gotten so big so quick are the property taxes are some of the highest around because of the need for schools as well as high water bills, again because of growth they haven't been able to keep up although that's starting to get under control, depending on what you're looking for for housing there are several in Harrisburg that are under 150k for 3/2.....They pay is lower than alot of other places but it washes w/ the somewhat lower cost of living...A lot of people out here work 2 jobs unless they are making 15-20 hr and even them do as well I believe, Sioux Falls has a lot of retail around town that pays in 7-8 range but you'd be competing with high school / college kids for those types of part time jobs...
My home on this site is listed as Sioux Falls AREA, but it reality, I live in Harrisburg. It's time to put some myths to rest.

The water bills in Harrisburg are the highest in most all of South Dakota thanks to the morons we've had over the last 10 years running this place.
However, property taxes are no where near to the highest in the area and are actually much less than Sioux Falls for a similar style house.

Yes, we're building a new school building about every other year, but at a payback of approx. $ 4,500 per year per kid from the state, the school's portion of our tax dollar BECAUSE OF OUR RIDICULOUS OUT OF CONTROL GROWTH, has not negatively impacted our property tax bill. We are THE fastest growing school district in the state with no one even close.

We are the ultimate bedroom community. Over the last 10 years the population of Harrisburg has grown from under 1,000 to close to 5,000.
Obviously, with this uncontrolled growth, nobody in what used to be a very close knit community, knows anyone now. Most new people that have moved into this town over the last 10 years only knows their immediate neighbors as if they actually lived in Sioux Falls.

If you move to Harrisburg now and live in one of the new developments, it's no different than living in Sioux Falls. If you are moving here for the smaller school, think again. We're already the 8th largest school district in the state and moving up rapidly. The lower 6 grades all have over 200 kids per class. Last year's kindergarten class was 279 students. I don't have the figure for this year, but it's probably even higher than last year.

It's still a good place to live. Just don't move here thinking that you want "small town" living.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 56,468 times
Rathockey...I'd say rent somewhere near the main corridor of Sioux Falls...from what I can tell so far, it's the busiest places within close proximity to many parks, gyms, nice stores, restaurants and the mall is south of the Empire Mall area..lots of apartment complex's that seem well kept and it's where I've seen the largest concentration of single individuals...many in their 20's attending the technical colleges in the immediate vicinity.

Join some kind of recreational activity when you get here..I play in a sand volley ball league at a bar in the small community of Tea, SD (20 min southwest of Sioux Falls)...been having fun with that and meeting lots of nice folks.

Sorry about run-on sentences...super tired from a work burn session to get something out the door....ha ha

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 AM

No I do not work for the Highway Patrol

Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 AM

Observation:

Living in Phoenix I had one F150 stolen (on my birthday) and somewhere around 5 car break ins, was assaulted once and sent to ER for stitches by a group of drunk individuals, seen a gun pulled in a traffic altercation, and had my home invaded while I was asleep in bed

Since, moving to SF I often forget to lock and roll up my windows on my vehicle..I sometimes leave a side door to my place unlocked and have on occasion forgot to close the garage door where my very expensive mountain bike resides in plain sight...and had no problems yet

Sioux Falls is heavenly in that regard as far as a big city like Phoenix is concerned.

So, it's a trade off..super bone chilling, I don't want to get out of bed the wind is so damn cold my coffee freezes before I get to the truck in the morning winters or so hot I could cook an egg on the sidewalk and the molding in my car is liquefying and criminal intentions abound....for now I'll take frozen coffee

Dakotan_returns

Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 AM

159 posts, read 288,159 times
Tea ?? 20 minutes from SF??? man and I thought farmers drive slow

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,264 times
I'm from a very small area in Northern California and I'm looking to relocate in or around Sioux Falls. This information has been helpful.

What are the largest markets/industries here? Medical?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM

4,879 posts, read 6,945,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffpersecond View Post
I'm from a very small area in Northern California and I'm looking to relocate in or around Sioux Falls. This information has been helpful.

What are the largest markets/industries here? Medical?
Unquestionably medical is #1 in Sioux Falls probably followed by the various bank credit card operations.

Outside of Sioux Falls, it's still agriculture with tourism in second place in my opinion.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 25,535 times
Red face Plans to move to Sioux Falls

Thanks for the information about Sioux Falls. We will be moving in the winter time knowing it is not the best time. After living in Mississippi and Georgia this will be a huge change. Again thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls