Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 AM

38 posts, read 115,259 times

Advertisements

Hi my son is considering an offer to study engineering at the GEAR center. It is affiliated with USD but obviously not in Vermillion so I assume there is no university housing?

Would he be able to find inexpensive student housing? He is a grad student so he is 22 and will have a vehicle.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmm1 View Post
Hi my son is considering an offer to study engineering at the GEAR center. It is affiliated with USD but obviously not in Vermillion so I assume there is no university housing?

Would he be able to find inexpensive student housing? He is a grad student so he is 22 and will have a vehicle.

Thanks!
If he's not in Vermillion, where is he? You are right, if it's not in Vermillion student housing won't be available through USD.

There isn't an engineering major at USD that I know of. The engineering schools are SDSU and SD Mines & Technology. Also, I'm a USD guy and haven't heard of the GEAR center.

I'm curious about all this. Please fill me in.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM

It is biomedical engineering graduate school and it is in affiliation with south Dakota school of mines.

The GEAR center is located in Sioux city -at least if I am reading correctly - that is where the program is located. So it is not really considered an engineering department.

Website says the GEAR center opened in 2009 and there are a few other graduate programs located there.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM

56 posts, read 224,479 times
Not Sioux City, Sioux Falls:
"The University of South Dakota's Biomedical Research Program is based in Sioux Falls at the Graduate Education and Applied Research Center (GEAR Center), 4800 N. Career Ave., Suite 221, Sioux Falls, SD 57107."No student housing, but Sioux Falls is full of apartment complexes. I guess it depends what your expectation of "inexpensive" is. I haven't paid attention to the apartment market for years and years, but a google search should turn up some info pretty easily.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 PM

My bad! Sioux Falls is where he would be.

Housing would be needed close to his studies and a reasonable rate for a student. I don't know what going rates in that area would be.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Welcome to Sioux Falls. 1 bedroom apartments that are worth living in run $ 600 to $ 700 per month. 2 bedrooms are generally $ 800+

Sounds like a very interesting major as a career. I assume with this graduate degree, he is learning about all the technical machines used in hospitals and clinics.

One of my daughter's best friends is head of this at the VA hospital in Iowa City. A very good job that pays well, and she's only in her mid-thirties.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the information. It is an up and coming major hopefully with good job growth potential. I will have him look at housing immediately. He will be somewhat of a poor college student so his budget will be on the lower end. Still 600-800 does not sound too bad.

There are lots of different studies within the biomedical field ie. prosthetics, tissue regeneration, drug delivery - lots of science skills needed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls