Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 12:52 PM

63 posts, read 107,044 times

Advertisements

The tax foundation usually ranks South Dakota pretty far down the list on OVERALL tax burden. In this case, lower on the list is good.

From the best I can tell, Wisconsin ranks usually in the top 5 of highest overall tax burden states, depending on the year.

I roughly calculated the difference in overall taxes of SD vs WI based on the tax foundation information.

If you lived in WI for the next 20 years, it would cost about $27,000 more than living in SD.

Assuming the tax difference between SD and WI remains about the same for the next 20 years.

For those of you who have lived elsewhere in the US, and moved to South Dakota, do you feel it is less costly overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
Yes, it is much less than Wi. My wife and I moved to Hot Springs, SD from central Wisconsin about 2.5 years ago. We feel that the difference in property taxes, sales taxes, & income taxes totals about $8000 per yr for us. It is difficult to compare property taxes state to state because property taxes vary from county to county and municipality to municipality, however I lived in what was considered to be a low tax county in wisc. I don't know what the tax foundation bases their calculations on, but I would find another way to figure the difference.

uh

Old 11-10-2013, 10:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
As Uncleharley says, it's difficult to assess the differences when it comes to property taxes, because each county, or even each municipality is different.

Some county's have a website where you can view assessed values and tax burdens, but, you have to either know the owners name, tax id, address, etc... to find out what the burden is. Most county's in South Dakota do not have anything listed other than an address of where to pay your taxes.

I moved out of South Dakota due to the taxes that I had to pay. It was much cheaper to move up to Wyoming, but, I lived in Pennington County, in the Black Hills. Our tax burden went from about $800 per year, to about $3500 a year, in a 3 year time period. Taxes sky rocketed. They said it was because Rapid City was expanding in that direction and the taxes had to be increased to pay for ammenities such as fire hydraunts, street lights, signs, etc... Keep in mind that we lived almost 18 miles out of town. That was back in the 90's and to this day there are no street lights, fire hydraunts, etc... They did put up some better street signs.

Like I say, I moved out, and it wasn't a simple matter of just moving to a different county, job requirements and quality of life had to be counted for too.

I did find that Wyoming was considerably cheaper than South Dakota.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Every road in Wisconsin is paved, while very few in South Dakota are paved. Wages are typically more in Wisconsin... they are substantially higher for certain fields such as pharmacists, teachers, and registered nurses. The school systems are good. The terrain and topography and climate are naturally more attractive (unless you are in the black hills or badlands)... the population density is higher and there is more to do... You do get something for your money there.

Yeah it's nice not having to pay a state income tax here. If I did, I'd want to see something from it... since south dakota is a sparsely populated state with not a lot going on.

Property taxes 'can' be high to compensate.. they are fairly high in Brookings. There are a couple of good paying jobs in town to more than compensate though. I wouldn't want to spend my life at one of the lower paying places in town though. I'd also leave if I had a 'live anywhere' carrier job such as the ones listed above.

I like Rapid, but I've heard it's starting to get expensive because wealthy people flock to that area and drive up the prices? It's also fairly isolated, really out there away from any substantially populated areas.. but it's pretty, and arguably has one of the best climates in the United States, along with Western Nebraska, parts of Wyoming, and eastern Colorado.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-12-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls