Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:32 AM

71 posts, read 118,365 times

Advertisements

Sioux Falls crime rate has risen 38% from 2009 to 2013 making it one of the fastest growing communities in the country with the highest rising crime rate. Now Sioux City has just passed Sioux Falls out of 300 cities being compared with crime rate as Sioux City ranked 148 and Sioux Falls ranked 149. Don't believe me? Sioux Falls own news website gave me these facts. So it looks like Sioux City, the same city all the people from the Sioux Empire were bashing about crime and how depressing and run down it is, is safer than Sioux Falls, the city they were praising about being a safe place for families. Sioux Falls has 4 or 5 murders this year while Sioux City has had 1. I do expect the nasty comments to roll in. I don't care. I just wanted to throw this out to all those who look down upon Sioux City and Northwest Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 PM

168 posts, read 256,223 times
There is plenty of denial going around. That has been a problem for years. In addition to that after recent police shootings of civilians the local media here went into PR mode for local law enforcement and to drown out local civil rights activists. At the same time the county wants a huge pile of cash to build a new jail because they are locking up so many people. Of course the "need" for the jail is being promoted by claiming how dangerous and out of control Sioux Falls suddenly is. The TV stations were literally reporting every petty incident including a police officer twisting a leg wrestling an intoxicated person.

What would be useful is some independent 3rd party national statistics that look at crime per capita. The local media here has ruined what reputation they had left in this recent batch of nonsense.

I have said for years that Sioux Falls has a crime rate on par with big cities and have had people angry with that statement. Now those same people are hand wringing about a Sioux Falls crime wave.

If they want to reduce the amount of people in jail they need to stop locking up people for drug use and instead get them treatment and social support. They would also free up lots of jail space by not locking up people because they can't pay fines. Those two things take a level of maturity I am not sure enough people here possess to make it happen.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpointyboots View Post
There is plenty of denial going around. That has been a problem for years. In addition to that after recent police shootings of civilians the local media here went into PR mode for local law enforcement and to drown out local civil rights activists. At the same time the county wants a huge pile of cash to build a new jail because they are locking up so many people. Of course the "need" for the jail is being promoted by claiming how dangerous and out of control Sioux Falls suddenly is. The TV stations were literally reporting every petty incident including a police officer twisting a leg wrestling an intoxicated person.

What would be useful is some independent 3rd party national statistics that look at crime per capita. The local media here has ruined what reputation they had left in this recent batch of nonsense.

I have said for years that Sioux Falls has a crime rate on par with big cities and have had people angry with that statement. Now those same people are hand wringing about a Sioux Falls crime wave.

If they want to reduce the amount of people in jail they need to stop locking up people for drug use and instead get them treatment and social support. They would also free up lots of jail space by not locking up people because they can't pay fines. Those two things take a level of maturity I am not sure enough people here possess to make it happen.
I really respect your opinion. Finally someone from this area who admits the area has a problem and looks how they could fix it instead of dening it. All cities have problems even Sioux Falls.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:45 PM

168 posts, read 256,223 times
The city and state here are facing the results of their policies over the last decade. Taxpayers will have to pay considerably more to continue this failed policy. Ironically it would likely cost less to implement comprehensive treatment programs and jobs programs than continuing to expand the failed policy. A major factor for the increase in crime here is the pull yourself up by your bootstraps approach to social services and social order. People can't find work that pays a living wage equal to the increasing cost of living here. There are few social supports. This sort of feeds hopelessness, drug use and not giving a damn by those who are getting the worst of this. On top of all of this both of our state hospitals are under federal investigation of improper management and improper treatment of patients.

It really is a bit of a mess and it has all finally hit a saturation point that it is intruding into the white middle class head in the sand lives of people here. Things are also not any better for victims of crime here. I had my car robbed and damaged in the process in a busy "nicer" grocery store in town. This has been over two years and I have seen none of the restitution that has supposedly been collected by the state and the office in charge of this won't return my calls.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:28 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Kind of odd. I often felt like Sioux Falls would be safer compared to where I live. The Atlanta area saw a drop in its crime rate towards the beginning of the 2010s despite having an influx of people come in. Atlanta gets an influx and the crime does not see any rapid increase. Influx in Sioux Falls and crime goes up quickly. Right now a major problem is the transportation infrastructure.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Kind of odd. I often felt like Sioux Falls would be safer compared to where I live. The Atlanta area saw a drop in its crime rate towards the beginning of the 2010s despite having an influx of people come in. Atlanta gets an influx and the crime does not see any rapid increase. Influx in Sioux Falls and crime goes up quickly. Right now a major problem is the transportation infrastructure.
Sioux Falls has such a low crime rate to begin with that even a small rise in crime can skew the percentage drastically upward. Unfortunately even South Dakota is diversifying along with the rest of the country so you can expect crime, whether petty or violent, to tick ever upward.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:55 AM

92 posts, read 218,060 times
Good grief - a few of you on this thread and another one have formed quite the Sioux Falls Hater's Club. You would think there is crime and corruption around every corner and that we are all in cahoots to put down Sioux City. I've lived here 23 years and found it to be a safe and clean. Never lock my house, never lock my cars in the driveway, never had a break-in. My kids are free to roam the neighborhood. 90% of this city is safe and there is the 10% of the town that makes the news. If I lived in that 10% area, I would have a different experience, obviously. But yes, crime has gone up as you have more people moving here.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with Sioux Falls and now seem to carry a grudge.

I know only a few things about Sioux City. They have a nice setting with the river there and they have a really great Asian grocery store. They use to have that John Morrell smell, but obviously not a problem anymore. They have a lot of road construction.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:46 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Sioux Falls has such a low crime rate to begin with that even a small rise in crime can skew the percentage drastically upward. Unfortunately even South Dakota is diversifying along with the rest of the country so you can expect crime, whether petty or violent, to tick ever upward.
Wild guess, you wouldn't want someone like me living in South Dakota.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
Good grief - a few of you on this thread and another one have formed quite the Sioux Falls Hater's Club. You would think there is crime and corruption around every corner and that we are all in cahoots to put down Sioux City. I've lived here 23 years and found it to be a safe and clean. Never lock my house, never lock my cars in the driveway, never had a break-in. My kids are free to roam the neighborhood. 90% of this city is safe and there is the 10% of the town that makes the news. If I lived in that 10% area, I would have a different experience, obviously. But yes, crime has gone up as you have more people moving here.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with Sioux Falls and now seem to carry a grudge.

I know only a few things about Sioux City. They have a nice setting with the river there and they have a really great Asian grocery store. They use to have that John Morrell smell, but obviously not a problem anymore. They have a lot of road construction.
It's not really the city I carry a grudge against its some of the people ibt he city who think it's a great metropolis and look down upon northwest iowa. You should see the Sioux City hate threads they just keep going on. Im just posting this to show all the people who were bashing Sioux City that Sioux falls does have problems too. I am just tired of all the hate we get from Des Moines area, Omaha area, and the Sioux falls area so I decided to throw a hate thread back.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wild guess, you wouldn't want someone like me living in South Dakota.
I live in Sioux Falls and I welcome you. As long as you are a decent person, etc. I retired here from the San Francisco Bay Area which, of course, is very diverse. Sioux Falls is become more so and I think it's a great thing.

Come on down or over or up or ... !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls