Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 08:25 PM

37 posts, read 86,220 times

Advertisements

We moved to Sioux Falls almost a year ago after living in Kansas City for 23 years. I'm not new to Sioux Falls. I was born and raised here. Sioux Falls has come soooo far. I love that there is so much more to offer here than there was when I lived here years ago. It is growing into a more diverse city with more to offer, such as the arts, local eating establishments, cool Downtown living and shopping, etc. BUT...I am continually frustrated with the lack of shopping in terms of home decor and organic and natural foods. I know there are a lot of people that have moved here from larger cities such as Minneapolis, New York and Los Angeles. I'm wondering if those people are frustrated as well. When I lived in Kansas City, I mainly shopped at Whole Foods and Trader Joes for my groceries. Now, I shop at Pomegranate and Sioux Falls Food Co-op, which I'm so appreciate of. But the prices are so dang expensive in comparison. Also, I love to design and decorate my home. I used to shop at West Elm, Home Goods, Crate and Barrel, etc. Sioux Falls doesn't have most of these stores, but I was happy they had a Home Goods. Every single time I go to Home Goods I'm disappointed. So much so that I've stopped shopping there. There just doesn't seem to be "good" things to choose from. At least not the "trendy" products I'm used to getting in a bigger city. I love Sioux Falls. I love the simplicity and the friendly people and the short commutes. But I'm so frustrated with the shopping. I'm wondering if anybody else moving here from bigger cities have felt what I'm feeling.

I really feel like Sioux Falls is headed towards getting these stores that I'm missing, such as Trader Joes or Whole Foods or more local restaurants, but I feel like it's a good 3-5 years from now, which feels like eternity to me. Would love to hear other's thoughts or opinions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 01:17 PM

142 posts, read 308,361 times
I would guess this is because the area isn't that heavily populated. The Sioux Falls MSA is only 265k (2018 estimate per Wikipedia) in the entire four-county area. Also, with the decline of brick-and-mortar retail and the oversaturation of restaurant chains nationally, companies no doubt are being very careful before expanding these days. Dillard's either cancelled or indefinitely suspended their expansion to the mall. And South Dakotans are much more of a Hobby Lobby crowd than C&B or West Elm.

I had to laugh that the first Chipotle opened just a few months ago. Only about 15-20 years after the rest of the country.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:40 PM

CoteauKid, Yes! It's hard to believe Sioux Falls is just now getting a Chipotle. Even Sioux City IA has one. And a Chick Fila. It just doesn't make sense with how rapidly this city has and is growing. But maybe Chick Fila and Chipotle coming is the beginning of getting more "cool" things in Sioux Falls and more quickly. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-28-2021, 05:47 PM

92 posts, read 218,060 times
OP - not trying to be snarky but you moved to a city that is 10% of the population of Kansas City. You appreciate the simplicity, short commutes, friendly people that come with a lower population but lament the lack of national chains and diversity of choice. You would have to ask the national chains why they pass over lower populous metro's. I don't think Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, IKEA etc would ever choose to come here. It's just too small. As for organic foods, we don't have those grocery stores but we have more and more farmer's markets all the time. You can subscribe to farms that deliver organic produce to your doorstep every week. You can go to these farms and pick yourself. The simplicity that you gain is in all areas of your lifestyle. The diversity that you lose is in all areas of your lifestyle too.

I lived in Seattle for a long time and guess what - the Californians would move there and complain about the same thing. Seattle lacks choices!

I would agree that the price of organic foods is high. So, I grow my own food in my garden.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:55 PM

Scorpio2: Moved to Sioux Falls because of a job opportunity that was very appealing. I am not new new to Sioux Falls. In fact I visit 3-4 times per year. But when you live here it’s very different. I’m now paying more attention to availability and pricing. I agree about Farmers Markets and local CSA’s. I did that last year and can’t wait for this year’s season to begin. That will definitively save us a lot of money. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:44 AM

327 posts, read 211,189 times
Sioux Falls isn’t very big but it feels like lots of people are unwilling to drive “far” for things and I’m talking more then 5 min or 2 miles. Cheap gas is up north by I90 except sams and Costco. Heard many people say they won’t drive that far for cheaper gas. But will go to Sioux city for Chick-fil-A.............. ........................................

Old 04-02-2021, 08:55 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
If Sioux Falls wants to stay competitive in retaining/attracting professionals to the area, these are concerns its planners and business leaders should really be paying attention to (along with things like park space/recreational opportunities, walkable neighborhoods, etc.). Sioux Falls may not have the population base you would expect for this kind of retail, but in addition to its ~265K metro area residents, it *is* a regional hub for a large geographic area where I would imagine its not uncommon for folks from within a 100 mile radius to travel on a semi-frequent basis. I grew up in Sioux Falls and can anecdotally tell that a number friends still in the area have some pretty hipster leanings. So it *feels like* there would be a market for this type of retail, and that a company or local business could potentially set up shop with zero competition.

I know someone who's made a living of recruiting businesses to Sioux Falls- we haven't stayed in touch over the years, but if you have an interest in reaching out to them directly with any ideas, feel free to send me a DM and I can forward you their name/contact info.

Edited to add: Here's an interesting city-data thread that would support the notion that SF could at least get a Trader Joe's: https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...ader-joes.html

Additional food for thought: to develop a more progressive business climate, it might also help if South Dakota's residents put pressure on (or elected new) local politicians to legislate in a manner that *doesn't* make SD look like the most backwards, regressive, and least inclusive/welcoming state in the nation.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 04-02-2021 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-02-2021, 12:23 PM

451 posts, read 421,824 times
three aldi stores. thats about all i need for retail.
go Souix Falls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: