Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 16,045 times

Advertisements

Hi my fiance and I are moving out that way. His kids live in Adrian, MN and I have a few offers in Sioux Falls, that I'm following up on. I found Bridgewater, SD to be a small but quaint town. Anyone know anything about it.

We have horses so we need land and prefer a barn already on the property for winters there.

Thanks!
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Bridge...th-Dakota.html

Bridgewater is kind of a quaint little town, but I never found it to be the friendliest. It isn't exactly progressive and some of the people still seem to have some outdated beliefs and ways. But everyone is different and you may find it the perfect spot for you and your family. It would be quite a drive to Sx. Falls especially during the wintertime. Have you checked out any smaller towns that are near Sx. Falls?

I understand that since you live in Cali., it may not seem like an unusual drive, but here we generally live right in the town we work in or a small town very near to it. The difference probably has a lot to do with winter.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM

How far is it? According to the realtor it is a 25 minute drive. I drive 40 minutes now. My guy and I carpool, since he works in the town near where I work. We live in a rural community.

I'd rather live a bit closer, but still have lots of room for my critters and not too expensive to purchase either.

What are the other little towns? I'm way new to the area obviously.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM

193 posts, read 786,470 times
There are some nice towns within a 30 minute drive to Sioux Falls. If you're looking for that far, you won't have a problem finding agricultural property with room for your horses. I'm not very familiar with Bridgewater. I don't know what would bring people from CA to Bridgewater.
Some other towns that you might be interested in researching are: Garretson, Brandon, Dell Rapids, Hartford, Humboldt. You might also want to consider Beaver Creek, MN or Larchwood, IA.
All of these towns are small and within a 30 mile radius of Sioux Falls. Once in a while I see acreage auctions that are going on where you could get a good deal on some property with room for your critters. I am sure you won't have a problem finding something. What's your price range for an acreage?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
The mileage is on the site that I posted if you scroll down. I believe it said something like 52 miles. You could double check it with google maps or mapquest because I don't believe your realtor was correct. I had a friend who lived in Bridgewater and commuted to Sx. Falls and eventually she quit and found something closer to home. That 52 miles would only take you to the outskirts of Sx. Falls. If your commute would turn out to be 60 miles one way, there are winter days it could take two hours.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
If you take Highway 42 (Speed limit - 65) into Sioux Falls, from Bridgewater, it is about 35 miles to the west edge of the city limits. If you go north to I-90 (Speed Limit - 75) and go east to SF, its about 50 miles.
I agree with the other that the commute might be a challenge, especially in the winter.... but a lot of people do it... commuting 30-40 miles to work.
Personally, I wouldn't... I hate driving in the winter , and even in the city it is difficult at times.
But don't let that get you down... You might want to check out some closer areas... Nanjosbrand gave some good towns. Just make sure its a ways out from the city limits, so it doesn't get gobbled up by developments in the future. Good luck with everything!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 AM

Thank you for your information. We live in a rural town, I know it's hard to believe that there are those here in Cali. I work in a town that has 200 people who live in it. But it's a destination resort.

I was looking for properties and that is how I found Bridgewater. I'm not set in stone there. I was looking for a piece of land with a farmhouse hopefully, a barn for the winter. We get quite a bit of snow here, however I know it's not the amount that you guys get. I'm very open to finding the right town. I've considered even just renting property if possible so that I can drive around to find the right place. I still may do that.

I appreciate everyone's input, please I'll take more too. I'm starting my search now and learning so I'm not too off by the time we move which would be May of 09.

Thanks again!
Chris

Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 PM

193 posts, read 786,470 times
I also know of some good places actually in Iowa, so you'd be even closer to Adrian, MN, but still about 30 miles from Sioux Falls. The place I am thinking of is an acreage which is located near Rock Rapids, Iowa. It has a barn, house, and land. If you would like more information, you can DM me and I can always refer you to the owner of the acreage.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,187 times
Default property outside of Sioux Falls SD

Wondering if you found something

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Anything within 20 miles of Sioux Falls will cost you plenty for an acreage. You've got a little dilemma here. Past approx. 30 miles (Bridgewater included) acreages will cost you a considerable amount less than inside 30 mile. However, as stated in some earlier posts, driving to work in the winter over 30 miles in South Dakota is like nothing I GUARENTEE YOU that you've ever experienced. We invented the term "wind chill factor". Many people do it, but they grew up here and are used to it. Preparation is the key and it's not an insurmountable thing, but be warned, at least once a year you will be spending an evening with a friend in Sioux Falls. Around here that's OK, it's called PARTY TIME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls