Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 04:02 PM

47 posts, read 43,579 times

Advertisements

Seriously, what's wrong with this town. Got nowhere to be? Poke around all day and not choose a lane or use blinkers? And hanging your ass out into traffic in a turn lane. And stopping in the curb lane to yield an unprotected left turn across Minnesota or Marion at 5pm. That's not kind, it's dangerous.

I'm getting tired of it. Go drive in Denver or Chicago for a day. Just a rant I had to get off my chest. Some folks go 10 under. Also this city needs expansion of their roads for their recent population growth.

Last edited by MiserableInNebraska; 12-04-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 05:13 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserableInNebraska View Post
Seriously, what's wrong with this town. Got nowhere to be? Poke around all day and not choose a lane or use blinkers? And hanging your ass out into traffic in a turn lane. And stopping in the curb lane to yield an unprotected left turn across Minnesota or Marion at 5pm. That's not kind, it's dangerous.

I'm getting tired of it. Go drive in Denver or Chicago for a day. Just a rant I had to get off my chest. Some folks go 10 under. Also this city needs expansion of their roads for their recent population growth.
For those of us that have lived here our whole life, you're preaching to the choir.

Drivers in SF are notoriously bad. Many of the drivers here are incapable of driving in much bigger cities using their well honed "skills".

I feel your pain.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:39 PM

72 posts, read 85,847 times
Oh man this thread!! I definitely notice it too. A lot of the Minnesota drivers are really really really bad here. But most Sioux Falls drivers are content to hum-dum around also, and not respect left/right lanes. Both lanes go 5 under consistently man. This isn't the coast, we aren't on island time. There are no express lanes either which we desperately need in certain areas of the city.

I'd say this in the spirit of archival - if you are from a bigger city and you are moving to Sioux Falls you will likely be very frustrated with the lack of traffic flow here. When you can make a green and you're running late but the idiot in front of you decides to slam on his brakes as soon as the light whispers a yellow hue, it's frustrating at the very least.

The biggest problem is the bottlenecking during rush hour. Roads need to be expanded in crucial areas (Marion, Minnesota, 57th, 41st). If all of 57th and 41st were made to be as wide as 12th around the interstate, I think that'd be a great start. 41st around Philips and Minnesota is a complete nightmare. 3 light changes before you get your turn. It's a 5-8 minute traffic stop for sure.

The population has simply gotten too big and the city planning is living in 2007.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:15 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
My biggest bemusement when driving in Sioux Falls are the drivers that plan on turning right in 3 miles so everyone gets in the same lane while the other sits empty. I mean, it keeps the other lane open for me if I'm going across town, but it's kindof a pain when I need to make the turn.

If the city decides to spend the money for raised curbs and separation, it would be possible to make like 12th and 41st faster throughways....but some of the miniblocks would need to be consolidated to reduce the number of entrance/exit points.

I still think they should tunnel under the golf course and connect 26th properly

North South is better, but Minnesota could be redone. Can't tell you about that new area south of 229 though.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:35 AM

142 posts, read 308,647 times
Glad to see other people pointing this out. Slow, slow, slow all over town. I can't speak to Minnesota Avenue as I rarely drive it but 41st Street is a total NIGHTMARE, particularly east of Kiwanis. Left lane consists of somebody 5-10 mph under the speed limit holding a line of cars up and the right lane is people making right turns every or every other block. All day every day. Also, the traffic engineer(s) have timed traffic lights with the goal of slowing traffic down rather than improving flow. The guy even admitted this was their goal on the news a couple years ago. As others said, city planning is lacking and not looking at the bigger picture.

Another personal pet peeve of mine is slow-poking on the interstate on-ramps. The point of the ramp is to accelerate to highway speed and enter with the flow of traffic. Not to drive 30 on the ramp and enter the highway at 45-50. I'm constantly rubbernecking trying to make sure the person putzing in front of me isn't moving over at the same time and cutting me off while I'm looking left to avoid getting smashed by somebody going 20 mph faster.

A final oddity I've noticed is how when there is a double left turn, so many people swap lanes after turning instead of being in the lane they want to be in before turning. Haha--wtf? Maybe this happens everywhere but I especially notice it here.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:39 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
The funniest part is people from the rest of the state complain that the drivers in Sioux Falls drive fast and crazy because it is such a BIG city. I laugh and tell them it is really a small cow town and try driving in a real big city once.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:20 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Seems to me a lot of this is perception and that it's a mixed bag everywhere you go, but you definitely have to pay more attention to your surroundings in higher population density areas, one reason that we have more inattentive drivers here. I like being able to put on the cruise control and shut my brain off. You can't do that along I-90/94 in Wisconsin or many other more populated areas.

Things that stick out to me... Minnesota drivers are really slow, and Illinois and Texas drivers are really fast. Iowa and Nebraska are a mixed bag, and Wisconsin has good speed, attentive drivers, because so much of the state is more populated with twists and turns in the roads so you have to pay more attention. They were thinking of getting rid of the S curve south of Brookings because residents here can't handle one road that happens to have a couple of 90 degree turns in it.

The more hilly and twisty the roads, combined with the higher population, the more attentive driver a person will be. I love that Wisconsin has embraced roundabouts. They are big time and frustration savers compared to sitting at a mistimed stoplight and are safer than a 4-way stop. Even Watertown in South Dakota has a few... Brookings had the opportunity to introduce several the last 5 years with the road projects they've done but people resist change.... so we are stuck waiting at stoplights as we exit the interstate.

This may look complicated but once you get used to it, a big time saver and safe as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-87.9406453

Last edited by sholomar; 12-31-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 09-16-2020, 03:14 PM

63 posts, read 107,104 times
Default Feel free

Feel free to move to the Chicago suburbs and enjoy the faster traffic flow. Been there, done that, have zero interest in that becoming the norm here.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:36 AM

249 posts, read 242,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKC123 View Post
Feel free to move to the Chicago suburbs and enjoy the faster traffic flow. Been there, done that, have zero interest in that becoming the norm here.
It took you a while to respond to this thread, but I agree with you.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:12 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Minnesota drivers are really slow, and Illinois and Texas drivers are really fast. Iowa and Nebraska are a mixed bag
I hear you. I hate to generalize, but every time I'm in Iowa I always remark on how slow people drive overall. And I've heard other people point this out too. I could be driving the speed limit in the right lane on 380 thru Cedar Rapids, and I'm still passing everyone in the left lane.

Then I get back to Texas - and yes people are speed demons. Well, in Austin we have some of the most impatient drivers I've ever encountered. People ride each other's tail here as if its a way of life. Makes me miss those slow Iowa drivers who know how to keep two car lengths between each other...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls