Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 10:01 AM

72 posts, read 86,220 times

Advertisements

Fair warning, we have snow on the ground 6 months out of the year. When people tell you it's cold up here, they are not exaggerating. Not just cold, dry as hell too. You step outside and your nose hairs freeze and your skin cracks. You wake up dry and itchy. Invest in a humidifier. You always feel disgusting and crispy in the winter and shed dry skin. It's like the Alaska of the contiguous 48. (Minnesota, Wisconsin, ND, SD, Montana.) Snow. Ice. Cars in ditches. 6 months out of the year. Read it again. Half the year. When the rest of the United States is in the 60s, we are 31 degrees with flurries.

It's damn near April and it just snowed. AGAIN. I'm done with it. I don't expect us to be in the clear from snow storms until the middle of May. Pathetic.

I've been out of work for 4 months now due to an injury last year that keeps me off the ice and snow. I'm going broke. I hate this horse ****.

I don't even get outside to go to the gym because I hate the cold and the ice will make me slip. So people like me just stay indoors and get fat all winter. Not living your life for 6 months out of the year is pretty damn sad. Then summer hits in June with 2 weeks of spring and it's 90 and humid with mosquitoes. Fast forward to September and there's snow again. I think more people move away from this state due to the ****-poor weather than anything.

DO NOT MOVE HERE IF YOU LIKE BEING OUTDOORS in decent weather WITHOUT seven layers. You will not find quality natural weather here. Ever.

That is all.

Last edited by zerosoma; 03-20-2020 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 10:16 AM

112 posts, read 151,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoma View Post
Fair warning, we have snow on the ground 6 months out of the year. When people tell you it's cold up here, they are not exaggerating. It's like the Alaska of the contiguous 48. Minnesota, Wisconsin, ND, SD, Montana. Snow. Ice. Cars in ditches. 6 months out of the year. Read it again. Half the year. When the rest of the United States is in the 60s, we are 31 degrees with flurries.

I've been out of work for 4 months now due to an injury last year that keeps me off the ice and snow. I'm going broke. I hate this horse ****.

That is all.
My FAVORITE POSTING in, I can't tell you how long! You need to be sipping margarita's poolside in Puerto Vallarta! Summer is almost here! Also, sorry about your injury...

Oh and as for the weather, remember, "there's no bad weather, only bad clothing." I've survived winters in the Scottish Highlands and Norway but admit even they weren't as frigid as -30* F.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:43 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,699,983 times
There can be snow on the ground from November to April, usually not though. Luckily I don't remember any -30 degree days this winter. The -30 isn't too bad unless it lasts for a week to 10 days straight. I am not a big fan of the cold but it is WAY better than being hot.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:53 AM

249 posts, read 243,792 times
To each his own. I love it here. It hasn't been -30 degrees in the 10 yrs I have lived here.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
To each his own. I love it here. It hasn't been -30 degrees in the 10 yrs I have lived here.
Move over to the other side of the state, we can help you out.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:13 PM

249 posts, read 243,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Move over to the other side of the state, we can help you out.
No Thanks. I am happy here.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
No Thanks. I am happy here.
I don't blame you, it is beautiful out there. If I wasn't allergic to all those pine trees I would visit there way more often.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:38 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,955,710 times
Anybody want to place the odds that ZERSOMA wasn't born and raised in South Dakota?

Old 03-20-2020, 12:40 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,029,809 times
You think Sioux Falls is bad, you should try living up in the Iron Range in MN. We had snow on my birthday at the end of May one year. -75 degrees. You either love the winter and suck it up or you don't and move.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:52 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,955,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You think Sioux Falls is bad, you should try living up in the Iron Range in MN. We had snow on my birthday at the end of May one year. -75 degrees. You either love the winter and suck it up or you don't and move.
I hear you. We get more wind adding to the "wind chill factor" here, but when it gets to right down bone chilling cold on the temparature gauge northern Minnesota has us whipped.

When people around here complain of the cold I point to a place that makes here seem absolutely balmy. That area is northwestern North Dakota and northeastern Montana. I've got relatives up there and I don't envy them. They get worse wind than we get AND they're 300+ miles further north. I "shudder" to think of living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls