Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

Spending the weekend in Sioux Falls. We are meeting friends and having a great time for the most part. I have noticed a trend in about the half dozen places we've visited. The trend seems to be a lack of quality customer service.

We got to town and checked in to our motel. We went downtown to mill about. We grabbed a quick bite, the food was decent, but the counter person had a hard time with a simple order. Next we went into a Scandinavian store, we had a couple items that we purchased, the worker was more interested in chatting with her new found North Dakota friends instead of completing our transaction and taking our money.

Falls Park was beautiful and always a worthwhile stop. We then went to another restaurant for supper, it was a group of seven of us. Once again the waitress borderline rude, rather curt.

At the motel, the check in was simple, the manager bubbly and pleasant. Later on they were more accommodating to the loud obnoxious drunks and not considerate to us, our friends and their kid.

Maybe I am spoiled by the level service provided by the purveyors in Rapid and small towns. Even visiting other larger cities there was better customer service. Omaha, Minneapolis, Rochester MN, Las Vegas all come to mind for better service.

I expected better, and in past visits to Sioux Falls I've had better experiences. I was surprised by attitudes to those to whom I was handing my money to. I will think twice about coming back to visit or making any sort of major purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:26 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
That is interesting. My wife and I are doing an overnight on the north side of Souix Falls. So far the service is fine. However, we have not been downtown. Just to the motel and a resturant.

uh

Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
It seems atypical. It caught us off guard. Thinking breakfast will be Cracker Barrel, will see how that goes.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 PM

193 posts, read 677,725 times
I'm starting to notice that trend everywhere I go, but I notice it's always much younger workers (late teens, early 20's) that are the rudest.. seems like a generational thing (usually!). I don't know, but I don't think the business owners take customer service provided as serious as they should, maybe need some "secret shoppers" to weed out the bad eggs, but then again some places will take anyone if there's lack of workers in that business

Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Customer service in Rapid City and Sioux Falls is sub-par because there is no competition. In Rapid City, fine dining is Outback Steakhouse. Every time I go back home I notice it more and more. My server (especially a younger one) is probably someone who doesn't want to be there, who doesn't really care if I like my food, and who just has this job because it's paying the bills - which it probably isn't even really doing either.

In a larger city, there is more variation and choice so businesses emphasize the importance of five star customer service and making a great impression. If I go to a restaurant in the Twin Cities and the food is okay, but the service is amazing, I am likely to go back. When I lived in Rapid City, I went to restaurants strictly based on how good their food was.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Customer service as to the restaurants in Sioux Falls on the whole is very good. I regularly meet with several businessmen at a family restaurant in town who employ during the day approx. 5 excellant servers and 1 absolute "b**ch". My point is simple. If you get any of the other servers you would comment on how good the service is. If you get little miss attitude you may never come back. Why the ownership keeps her employed is beyond me.

It's a lot like people comparing the nurses and how you're treated at the 2 competing hospitals. With the number of employees at both places, the odds are sooner or later you will run into a crabby, awful nurse that will tempt you to point at the whole hospital.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Customer service in Rapid City and Sioux Falls is sub-par because there is no competition. In Rapid City, fine dining is Outback Steakhouse. Every time I go back home I notice it more and more. My server (especially a younger one) is probably someone who doesn't want to be there, who doesn't really care if I like my food, and who just has this job because it's paying the bills - which it probably isn't even really doing either.

In a larger city, there is more variation and choice so businesses emphasize the importance of five star customer service and making a great impression. If I go to a restaurant in the Twin Cities and the food is okay, but the service is amazing, I am likely to go back. When I lived in Rapid City, I went to restaurants strictly based on how good their food was.
This is absolutely not true. There are much nicer restaurants in Rapid City. My best friend lives in Omaha and is a foodie. She was highly impressed with the Corn Exchange. Ditch the chains and try a "real" restaurant for once! I can't think of a time I've had bad service in Rapid (other than being ignored at Sanford's...we turned around and walked out the door so technically we had no service at all...lol).

I don't know, maybe servers/store workers aren't as outgoing and in your face friendly in Rapid compared to other areas. However, I've never had anyone in a shop just completely ignore me to keep chatting with someone else or rudely ask if I found something I wanted. Not to mention, if I'm paying $30 a person for a meal, I'd appreciate water in my glass and being offered everything that comes with the meal, rather than having to ask for it because I've been there before and knew what was included.

I was surprised by the experience in Sioux Falls, because that wasn't my experience the last time I was there (2 years ago). It left a bad impression.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Customer service as to the restaurants in Sioux Falls on the whole is very good. I regularly meet with several businessmen at a family restaurant in town who employ during the day approx. 5 excellant servers and 1 absolute "b**ch". My point is simple. If you get any of the other servers you would comment on how good the service is. If you get little miss attitude you may never come back. Why the ownership keeps her employed is beyond me.

It's a lot like people comparing the nurses and how you're treated at the 2 competing hospitals. With the number of employees at both places, the odds are sooner or later you will run into a crabby, awful nurse that will tempt you to point at the whole hospital.
I do agree with this. The last time I ate at this particular restaurant, the service was wonderful and it was a great experience. This one b*tchy waitress wouldn't stop me from eating there again, but it did leave me a bit disappointed.

However, when it's not an isolated incident and you see the same general attitude wherever you go, one starts to wonder...

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
This is absolutely not true. There are much nicer restaurants in Rapid City. My best friend lives in Omaha and is a foodie. She was highly impressed with the Corn Exchange. Ditch the chains and try a "real" restaurant for once! I can't think of a time I've had bad service in Rapid (other than being ignored at Sanford's...we turned around and walked out the door so technically we had no service at all...lol).

I don't know, maybe servers/store workers aren't as outgoing and in your face friendly in Rapid compared to other areas. However, I've never had anyone in a shop just completely ignore me to keep chatting with someone else or rudely ask if I found something I wanted. Not to mention, if I'm paying $30 a person for a meal, I'd appreciate water in my glass and being offered everything that comes with the meal, rather than having to ask for it because I've been there before and knew what was included.

I was surprised by the experience in Sioux Falls, because that wasn't my experience the last time I was there (2 years ago). It left a bad impression.
I will agree that Rapid City (and Sioux Falls) do have some impressive restaurants. However, the average Rapid Citian and Sioux Fallsian thinks chain restaurants are a big deal. Hence the 3 hour wait whenever a new one comes to town. I love going to the Corn Exchange and Botticelli whenever I am back home. The servers are trained and educated in the meal and more individuals in the customer service field could take a pointer from them. However, most places you go to just have people "doing their job".

Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I will agree that Rapid City (and Sioux Falls) do have some impressive restaurants. However, the average Rapid Citian and Sioux Fallsian thinks chain restaurants are a big deal. Hence the 3 hour wait whenever a new one comes to town. I love going to the Corn Exchange and Botticelli whenever I am back home. The servers are trained and educated in the meal and more individuals in the customer service field could take a pointer from them. However, most places you go to just have people "doing their job".
I've found that everywhere. I think it's more of an issue with the type of restaurant you're in rather than the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls