Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM

75 posts, read 252,189 times

Advertisements

I am interested in info on small towns within 20 to 30 minutes of central Sioux Falls. What can you tell me about the likes of Tea, Brandon, Crooks, etc? Do they have any major food stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Brandon has a Sunshine foods I think. Its a pretty enterprising little town. There are several small towns within minutes of Sioux Falls.

I like Brandon, Garretson, and Hartford to an extent. Canton and Parker are a bit further out, still a reasonable distance but a bit of driving, but have good services, grocery stores and the likes.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Towns with a little bit of everything within 20-30 miles of Sioux Falls would be Brandon, Dell Rapids, Flandreau, Tea, Hartford, Parker, Garretson, and Canton.

Other little towns around here are mostly just suburbs with residential and very little commercial.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. We will be "jetting" over to the Falls in the near future to scope out the area. When we eventually purchase a home at our new place of residency, we would be interested in something bigger than a city lot - 1/2 an acre minimum. Generally that can be found in the outskirts or smaller towns in the area. That is why I inquired about neighboring towns. If I come up with more questions after my internet research, I''ll ask them here. Thanks again.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmstng View Post
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. We will be "jetting" over to the Falls in the near future to scope out the area. When we eventually purchase a home at our new place of residency, we would be interested in something bigger than a city lot - 1/2 an acre minimum. Generally that can be found in the outskirts or smaller towns in the area. That is why I inquired about neighboring towns. If I come up with more questions after my internet research, I''ll ask them here. Thanks again.
Definitely check out the Tea and Brandon areas. Both towns have a Sunshine Foods. Brandon has more restaurants/amenities, but Tea is just a short jog from the main retail area near 41st & Louise.
Harrisburg is another great option, but they seem to have a hard time keeping up with the growth. Harrisburg, itself, does not have a major grocery store, but there is a Sunshine Foods at 57th & Cliff in Sioux Falls, which is a few miles from Harrisburg itself.
Hartford is another area to check out.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I kind of like Tea. But then I actually like Sioux Falls itself, too. If I was going to live over there, Sx. Falls would be my choice. Absolutely nothing wrong with the other towns, but I don't like to drive and you'll have to commute from the small towns.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Definitely check out the Tea and Brandon areas. Both towns have a Sunshine Foods. Brandon has more restaurants/amenities, but Tea is just a short jog from the main retail area near 41st & Louise.
Harrisburg is another great option, but they seem to have a hard time keeping up with the growth. Harrisburg, itself, does not have a major grocery store, but there is a Sunshine Foods at 57th & Cliff in Sioux Falls, which is a few miles from Harrisburg itself.
Hartford is another area to check out.
Harrisburg is the most confused city in the state. They seem to have no idea what they're doing. 4,300 people with a commercial club of a town of 1,000 and no real plans for the future.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 37,865 times
Here's my take:

Brandon-very clean, growing community. Brandon has a nice grocery store, Subway, Taco Johns, Pizza Ranch and a few others. Easy commute if working in N. Sioux Falls (Wells Fargo, Citi, etc.). Commute is 10-20 minutes to most places in Sioux Falls. The new East-Side Target and existing East-Side Wal-Mart are only about 10 minutes from Brandon.

Tea-growing city and a bit shorter commute to Sioux Falls (5-10 minutes). Tea has a Subway, Pizza Ranch and grocery store. Also has a city pool if you have children.

Harrisburg-they've added a lot of new housing, but limited businesses (I believe there's a Godfather's Pizza). 10 minute commute.

Hartford-nice city with the basics, but more of a commute than I'd like (20-30 minutes +/-).

Dell Rapids-a few basic options, great vintage theater, but a 20 minute plus commute.

If your primary reason for living outside SF is to find a larger lot, it may or may not help much. There are a number of acreage possibilities around Sioux Falls and occasionally there are homes with 1/2 acre plus lots in Sioux Falls. The local multiple listing system public access site does not allow for a home search based on lot size, but real estate agents are able to use lot size as a parameter.

We look forward to having you move to the area!

Old 10-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Thanks all of you for your input. Realtor.com lets you put in lot size in your search, so we can get an idea of what's there and where. We realize it's not as thorough as a MLS listing, but good enough for now.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I would like to add a couple of towns. Lennox and Worthing. Lennox is about the same distance to Sioux Falls as Garretson, Canton, and Dell Rapids and is a town of 2,000. It has a Sunshine Foods, Pizza Ranch, two banks, a K-12 school system, three gas stations, and more. One can get more house for the money but the property taxes are higher than other cities due to a bond issue for a new high school several years ago. Lennox is 20 minutes to the SW edge of Sioux Falls and takes as long as one would take getting from the eastern edge of SF to the SW edge.

Worthing is another town that is directly south of Sioux Falls. A straight shot down Louise Ave. and is less than ten miles south of Sioux Falls. It is a smaller town with limited services but a quick drive to Sioux Falls. It is in the Lennox school system and has a K-5 school, with the 6-12 grade going to Lennox.

Of the towns previously mentioned in other posts, Brandon is a very nice community with plenty to offer and is progressive. Harrisburg is going through growing pains and is like Tea was back in the 1990s. Harrisburg will eventually get more services and get up to speed but will take some time and tooting of horns. Tea is nice also and is between Harrisburg and Brandon and has a growing list of services but can use additional eating choices and will do so once it passes the 5,000 people mark in the next several years. Other posts have good points noted already.

Dell Rapids and Hartford are also decent towns and are growing but still have more small town feel than Tea, Harrisburg, or Brandon.

The towns closer to Sioux Falls (Tea, Harrisburg, Brandon) will likely have higher home prices than those further out (Lennox, Canton, Dell Rapids, Garretson), but the towns closer have the advantage of a shorter commute when the roads get icy and snowy.

The nice thing about Sioux Falls is that there is a good selection of small towns surrounding it. Each has its strengths and quirks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls