Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:03 AM

188 posts, read 938,405 times

Advertisements

Just returned from our Week trip in Sioux Falls. The city is GREAT, with the people to match it!!!
Thanks for all of the information from all of the residents from Sioux Falls, we look forward to moving next year. Below are some comments for anyone visiting soon.

Traffic issues: Only two cases that we had during our Week in Sioux Falls, the backups at the 41st St. bridge due to construction and the intersection of Western and 57th St., Western Ave. and Louise Ave. was busy during the day, we drove around a lot to get lost and explore the city. We loved the Downtown area. We noticed that most of the streets we drove North/South were "named" and East/West were "numbered". I don’t know if this was the case or just us, it did make it very easy to drive around town.

Restaurants: We ate at different places for lunch and dinner every day for 7 days some of the great ones were Red Rossa Pizza, Nucci’s Bistro and Nick Gryo’s.
The worst one was the Fryn Pan on 41st St. I won’t ever eat there again, it was the only bad dining experience we had in Sioux Falls.

Hotel: We stayed at the Best Western Empire Towers, great location very close to almost everything and right across the street from the Mall, room was huge for the cost, had a decent breakfast and we would recommend it.

Zoo: Small but nice for the kids, we enjoyed the display when you first enter the zoo more than we enjoyed the live animals, we also enjoyed watching the “Human” construction workers working on the new rhino enclosure.

Sertoma Butterfly House: I’ll hold most of my negative comments but it’s an over rated money maker, We enjoyed the Outdoor Campus across from it more and it’s also free. If you can get the Sermona yearly pass it might be worth it with the unlimited visits for $56?, the butterfly flight room was small and if was very overcrowded and not worth the cost of a single visit admission.

Weather: It was very windy and in the 50’s for most of our trip, one thing that stood out was on Saturday it was in the high 50’s/low 60's and there were lots of locals walking around in shorts and short sleeve shirts, wife keep on saying “Crazy Americans”, I corrected her and told her it’s “Crazy South Dakotans” and we will be joining soon enough. LoL

Disappointments: The Mall was closed on Easter Sunday, it wasn’t posted on any of the doors and we were some of the 20 plus people that got told to leave the mall since the café doors were open and we went right in, also we notice that a lot of restaurants were also closed that day.

Pleasant surprise: Beryoka Grocery on 26th St. Small Russian grocery store with European groceries, very nice and friendly owner.

Best thing: Falls Park and all of the other amazing parks in the city.

Over all: Excellent Trip, worth the drive and the people makes it a great place, it was the first place in a very long time we felt like we were home. I wrote reviews on the Tripadvisor and Bigyellow site, and we look forward to visiting again at least twice in the next 12 Months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM

93 posts, read 163,724 times
I'll be visiting Sioux Falls in May, so it is good to see such a positive review! I'll likely be moving in August if all works out as planned, and I can't wait!

Thanks for all of the good info!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,494,104 times
Thank you, for the "review"! *love* Nick's Gyros!!

My next trip, to Sioux Falls, I hope to have enough time, to go see the Going Home Statue, @ the Veteran's Memorial Park.

YouTube - "Going Home" Memorial Statue Dedication

Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
Just returned from our Week trip in Sioux Falls. The city is GREAT, with the people to match it!!!
Thanks for all of the information from all of the residents from Sioux Falls, we look forward to moving next year. Below are some comments for anyone visiting soon.

Traffic issues: Only two cases that we had during our Week in Sioux Falls, the backups at the 41st St. bridge due to construction and the intersection of Western and 57th St., Western Ave. and Louise Ave. was busy during the day, we drove around a lot to get lost and explore the city. We loved the Downtown area. We noticed that most of the streets we drove North/South were "named" and East/West were "numbered". I don’t know if this was the case or just us, it did make it very easy to drive around town.

Restaurants: We ate at different places for lunch and dinner every day for 7 days some of the great ones were Red Rossa Pizza, Nucci’s Bistro and Nick Gryo’s.
The worst one was the Fryn Pan on 41st St. I won’t ever eat there again, it was the only bad dining experience we had in Sioux Falls.

Hotel: We stayed at the Best Western Empire Towers, great location very close to almost everything and right across the street from the Mall, room was huge for the cost, had a decent breakfast and we would recommend it.

Zoo: Small but nice for the kids, we enjoyed the display when you first enter the zoo more than we enjoyed the live animals, we also enjoyed watching the “Human” construction workers working on the new rhino enclosure.

Sertoma Butterfly House: I’ll hold most of my negative comments but it’s an over rated money maker, We enjoyed the Outdoor Campus across from it more and it’s also free. If you can get the Sermona yearly pass it might be worth it with the unlimited visits for $56?, the butterfly flight room was small and if was very overcrowded and not worth the cost of a single visit admission.

Weather: It was very windy and in the 50’s for most of our trip, one thing that stood out was on Saturday it was in the high 50’s/low 60's and there were lots of locals walking around in shorts and short sleeve shirts, wife keep on saying “Crazy Americans”, I corrected her and told her it’s “Crazy South Dakotans” and we will be joining soon enough. LoL

Disappointments: The Mall was closed on Easter Sunday, it wasn’t posted on any of the doors and we were some of the 20 plus people that got told to leave the mall since the café doors were open and we went right in, also we notice that a lot of restaurants were also closed that day.

Pleasant surprise: Beryoka Grocery on 26th St. Small Russian grocery store with European groceries, very nice and friendly owner.

Best thing: Falls Park and all of the other amazing parks in the city.

Over all: Excellent Trip, worth the drive and the people makes it a great place, it was the first place in a very long time we felt like we were home. I wrote reviews on the Tripadvisor and Bigyellow site, and we look forward to visiting again at least twice in the next 12 Months.
Excellent! I'm glad you had a good trip to SF! Where do you currently live, if you don't me asking? Are you looking to move to Sioux Falls? I haven't been on the forum as much as I used to!

Some comments on your comments :
The Fryn' Pan is basically a ghetto Perkins restaurant. Its known to be the "hangout" after you hit the bars on the weekend.

I've never been to the butterfly house, but I've heard its not too great for what you pay. My brother went when he was down here, and the butterflies creeped him out! :P

Weather... Yes! We crack out the shorts and short sleeves for 50s/60s. 50s and 60s feel warm when we're used to the cold winter!

Wow... that really surprises me about the mall... I can understand it being closed Easter Sunday I guess... but some of the doors were unlocked and you could go in? Strange...

Falls Park is awesome in the warmer months... So are the biking/walking trails that go along the Big Sioux River.

Hope you come back again!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 AM

193 posts, read 677,562 times
I always have a ton of fun in Sioux Falls when I stop at the Washington Pavillion Discovery Museum. Not just for kids, but for the kid in us
Another must do is to stop and eat at Famous Dave's. It's well worth the price, but don't go on a Fri or Sat night with expectations of getting seating right away, sometimes an hour wait. I prefer a Wed or Thurs. It's worth the stop
I know after how cold it was in Dec/Jan, I was ready to break out the shorts when it hit 30 degrees!! Haha, I think that's common here. Temperature is a state of mind, if you've been cold for so long, anything a degree above freezing feels like paradise

Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 39,570 times
Hope you come back soon Peperosso!!!!

The street numbering is kind of odd in SF, even I get lost (when driving on N/S streets), and i've lived in the area all my life. There's only 10 N/S streets numbered, all starting and going east of Phillips Ave. toward Cliff Ave. and that's it.

MJ1986, you are so right on the Fryn' Pan, the only good thing to get there is a BFR.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 19,661 times
My family just moved to Mitchell, Sd....we drove to Sioux Falls for a 3D movie...afterwards went to Fryin' Pan...we thought it looked cute and would be as good as Perkins....but, it was AWFUL!! Yuck, will not go there again either.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 AM

142 posts, read 308,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atilla5 View Post
The street numbering is kind of odd in SF, even I get lost (when driving on N/S streets), and i've lived in the area all my life. There's only 10 N/S streets numbered, all starting and going east of Phillips Ave. toward Cliff Ave. and that's it.
The thing that has always confused me about Sioux Falls streets is that some of the block numbers (north & south) are what? 7 or 8 numbers lower than the corresponding numbered street. Why is it like that?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy12 View Post
My family just moved to Mitchell, Sd....we drove to Sioux Falls for a 3D movie...afterwards went to Fryin' Pan...we thought it looked cute and would be as good as Perkins....but, it was AWFUL!! Yuck, will not go there again either.
I don't care for the Fryin' pan either.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 AM

193 posts, read 786,229 times
Excellent review of Sioux Falls. Glad to read that you felt welcome in SD's largest city. To me, Sioux Falls will always be home. I miss it a ton....even though the winters are MISERABLE!!! Sorry to hear about Fryin' Pan not being your favorite place to eat. My dad loves that place for their beef tips. Like MJ said, it's a great place for the drunks to go after 1-2 in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls