Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times

Advertisements

Stats I like to check are shots compared to shots on goal, total passes completed, pass percentage, and possession.

I also like the chalkboard and heat maps for individual players and entire teams. See here: Philadelphia Union vs Sporting Kansas City 03-02-2013 - Chalkboard | MLSsoccer.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That is how they gauge individual skill and progression.
Anyone using stats to gauge individual skill and progression doesnt know sports that well. You might be able to use that in football a bit but you have to watch a player to gauge skill and progression. Stats only measure a small amount of what is done on the field.

They dont have stats for mechanics, finesse, vision, and overall knowledge of the game.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Anyone using stats to gauge individual skill and progression doesnt know sports that well. You might be able to use that in football a bit but you have to watch a player to gauge skill and progression. Stats only measure a small amount of what is done on the field.
To be fair though, there is players that you know are world class by looking at their stats alone. Ronaldo's Real Madrid stat is absolutely amazing. Played 185 games and scored 186 goals or something like that.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

They dont have stats for mechanics, finesse, vision, and overall knowledge of the game.
So is a basketball player any good if he gets 0 points, 0 assists, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 and 0 blocks? If he does manage to get double doubles, and so often ends up with a triple double, would be a safe thing to say, he can play the game, and is progressing.

Now for football, if a running back is averaging like 5 yds a carry, I would say he has good vision, knows how to use his blockers, and his form is good enough to get him down field. As for a QB, if he has some pretty gaudy stats, I would say he has individual skill.

For lots of american sports were designed to gauge an individual's development through statistics. If you think about it, we as a culture are obsessed with mathematical measurements.

Maybe soccer is a different, I dont know. But if it is, then I think that may be hurtings its popularity here.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
So is a basketball player any good if he gets 0 points, 0 assists, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 and 0 blocks? If he does manage to get double doubles, and so often ends up with a triple double, would be a safe thing to say, he can play the game, and is progressing.

Now for football, if a running back is averaging like 5 yds a carry, I would say he has good vision, knows how to use his blockers, and his form is good enough to get him down field. As for a QB, if he has some pretty gaudy stats, I would say he has individual skill.

For lots of american sports were designed to gauge an individual's development through statistics. If you think about it, we as a culture are obsessed with mathematical measurements.

Maybe soccer is a different, I dont know. But if it is, then I think that may be hurtings its popularity here.
I agree 100%, many Americans raised on basketball, baseball and football are put off by soccer's lack of publicized, meaningful stats.

But what's cool about soccer is the grading of players each game. Most soccer nations use a scale where a 7 is a solid performance, an 8 is a star performance, and a 9 is a world-beater. A 6 is so-so, and a 5 is getting kind of poor, an awful match will be a 3 or a 4. These are subjective ratings any fan paying close attention can give. With this, players of different positions (with much different responsibilities) can be compared fairly.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Most sporting 'stats' bore me to tears :-)

Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Like I said, stats is only a small way to gauge a player's progress. Talk to coaches, most of them dont look at stats for individual players. They judge them on mechanics, understanding of the game, vision, finesse, and skill. They might use stats to look at the entire team but rarely for players.

Quote:
So many variables go into that. Does the RB have a great O-Line or a terrible one? Is the passing attack a high threat that defenses play more pass coverage?

I am not saying that stats isnt a measurement worthy of consideration but if you are truly judging progress at a technical level like a scout or a coach, stats isnt going to be much more than one of the markers.

It's definitely fun for fans to talk about stats but using as a true measuring stick of progress isnt the reason fans like it. It is just some way of quantify the game to make it easier to talk about which is what I think you may have really meant.

Quote:
They were not designed because of stats. Do you really think Naismith was thinking of stats when he invested basketball? When the Ivy league football teams made American football (was made using Rugby and soccer rules which both lack a lot of stats)?

Stats have been added over time,

Quote:
I've heard people bash soccer for 25 years and I havent heard anyone say that about soccer before.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 PM

Messi is the only player to have ever scored 17 goals in 17 league games in a row in any major league on the planet. That is an epic stat. Thanks Gary Lineker

Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Yep!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...259_n.jpg?dl=1

Old 03-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Barcelona kept clean sheet against Deportivo for first time since 13 games, halting longest run without one since 1962 [via @infostradlive]

Now that is a crazy stat when you think that Barcelona are considered the greatest team of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer