Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,319,745 times

Advertisements

English Premier League gets a big American stage on NBC - The Washington Post

Soccer as a spectator sport in the USA is beginning to ascend. Glad the to see the Premier League get a stage on a major network in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
English Premier League gets a big American stage on NBC - The Washington Post

Soccer as a spectator sport in the USA is beginning to ascend. Glad the to see the Premier League get a stage on a major network in the US.
i think this is the year the EPL becomes a noticable part of our sports narrative in the U.S. What I mean by this is that the EPL (and Champions League) will be regularly discussed on sports radio, ESPN programs like Pardon the Eruption and Around the Horn etc.

NBC knows how to broadcast sports. They won't try to dump down the product for the audience. They'll respect the audience. This is something FOX doesn't get. Case in point was this past Gold Cup where FOX actually had a sideline reporter and an ex-referee that they would go to during the broadcast for commentary. With FOX it's always about gimmicks. Whether it's their horrible Baseball coverage where they spend whole innings interviewing managers and players in the dugout or whether its putting a mic the umpires and base paths. It's all gimmicks with FOX and horrible production. If it was going to be EPL on FOX then I would say it probably wouldn't be as big. But its on NBC. NBC is miles better than FOX.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
EPL has been on Fox for years and the reason Fox Soccer is now Fox Sports 1 is because Fox lost the contract. Its good though, Fox was less than worthless with their coverage anyawys.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
EPL has been on Fox for years and the reason Fox Soccer is now Fox Sports 1 is because Fox lost the contract. Its good though, Fox was less than worthless with their coverage anyawys.
yeah it was on Fox Soccer Channel but that was a channel you'd only get if you paid extra for a sports package with your satellite or cable provider.

It's going to have much more exposure on NBC and NBCSN

Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 AM

245 posts, read 298,560 times
Fox is always about money, NBC has much better coverage for all the sports it took from Fox Like F1 and EPL

Old 08-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
yeah it was on Fox Soccer Channel but that was a channel you'd only get if you paid extra for a sports package with your satellite or cable provider.

It's going to have much more exposure on NBC and NBCSN
I didnt pay for a sports package to get Fox Soccer. It came with the same package on Dish Network that NBC Sports comes on.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I didnt pay for a sports package to get Fox Soccer. It came with the same package on Dish Network that NBC Sports comes on.
on directv you need to purchase a sports package to get FSC

Old 08-17-2013, 10:54 PM

That sucks, it was pretty much a worthless channel. You had to pay extra for Fox Soccer Plus on Dish and that was it, ironically it showed little soccer but was better chan imho.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 PM

3,869 posts, read 5,294,693 times
Any thoughts on the opening weekend coverage? I think they did a great job personally, nice mix and good chemistry from the commentators. Big step up from Fox.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Any thoughts on the opening weekend coverage? I think they did a great job personally, nice mix and good chemistry from the commentators. Big step up from Fox.
yeah i thought it was excellent. Great production. I especially liked that they went to the stadiums five minutes before kick off of each game to capture the atmosphere from the fans and the players entering the stadiums from the tunnel.

Good commentators (i think except from Arlo White it's the worldwide feed they are using). The one American they had in the studio (Kyle Martino) knows his stuff. Also, the woman that hosts the studio show knows her stuff too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer