Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM

240 posts, read 465,052 times

Advertisements

OK everyone, so with NBC's coverage of the Premier League in the US this year I really want to commit to a team. I've been thinking Tottenham for a while, but now I'm second-guessing and thinking about Fulham. On one hand, Tottenham seems to be on the cusp of greatness while Fulham is average. However, Tottenham is on the verge of selling Bale (good?) while Fulham has a new owner.

Is jumping on Tottenham too much of a bandwagon thing? Or would that be fair for a novice to do? Any thoughts on who I should support, or why I should support one over the other?

Thanks friends!

Side note - in choosing a team (besides loyalty to your hometown and/or family preference) what do you look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 PM

782 posts, read 1,106,154 times
I don't think you can just "choose" a team. I think you need to take some time to watch some games and find a few clubs that stand out to you for some reason. Then do some reading about their history and culture. Football clubs do have very unique cultures and identities that go far beyond the XI players on the pitch this weekend for them. If you are serious about investing long term in a relationship with a club as a fan, make sure that the club you pick is one whose history and fan culture suits you.

For example, in Italy Roma is the urban/workers/left wing club in Rome, while Lazio tends to be the club of the suburbanites/wealthy/right wing (including far right facists).

You are asking about England, but the point is the same ... clubs have individual identities, get to know one because players come and go but a club will be with you forever.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
If you've got the cash, you could fly to London and see matches at White Hart Lane (Tott) and Craven Cottage (Fulham), and decide from there. That would be the best way IMO. Granted, that wouldn't be real easy or cheap (to get the tickets) for the same trip.

I've identified most with Tottenham in the Prem because historically they manage to field teams filled with interesting, recognizable players without being obscenely monied like Chelsea or Man City, and not entry-level pop tarts like Man Utd. But Tottenham is becoming obscene, bidding on just about every star man available, stock-piling 2-deep like they are in the Champions League.

Fulham is maybe what Tottenham used to be for me.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Do you support an MLS team ? If not than anybody you chose in England is a bandwagon jump IMHO. Support your local football first.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Do you support an MLS team ? If not than anybody you chose in England is a bandwagon jump IMHO. Support your local football first.
Good call. I see you're in Chicago, go to a few Fire games first, the season is still on. The Fire still have a chance at the playoffs after that horrendous start they made. The next two games are big ones.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
Why two London teams? Are you a fan or a tourist?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM

240 posts, read 465,052 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. All good points. To answer what I can...

"I don't think you can just "choose" a team. I think you need to take some time to watch some games and find a few clubs that stand out to you for some reason."
-Agreed. I've definitely done plenty of reading on the teams. Wikipedia, blogs, comparisons to American sports teams, etc. But at the same time, I don't want to go into the season just watching a bunch of teams and whichever one happens to win the most, then I'm on-board. I'd like to TRY to commit to one before it's obvious that they're studs or duds. Still, thank you, this is a good point, and I'm interested in the history, so that's definitely a factor.

"If you've got the cash, you could fly to London and see matches at White Hart Lane (Tott) and Craven Cottage (Fulham), and decide from there. That would be the best way IMO. Granted, that wouldn't be real easy or cheap (to get the tickets) for the same trip."
-Ugh, I wish. Would make this a lot easier and more fun. But exactly what you're saying, I don't want to support a juggernaut out of the gate, that's no fun. I'd like to grow with a team, if you know what I mean.

"I see you're in Chicago, go to a few Fire games first, the season is still on."
-Grrrr, you're probably right, especially considering they're my local team. Only problem is, while MLS is getting MUCH better in terms of reputation, it's still not tops of the pops. I think there's a reason this year the US is going to get to see far more ENGLISH premier league games than its own national soccer (sorry, football?) league. Besides, I like the culture and mythology and history of the EPL, while the MLS is still relatively in its infancy.

"Why two London teams? Are you a fan or a tourist?"
-Was afraid of this one. Trust me, as a Chicagoan, I'm sick of hearing how great New York City is, so to just limit myself to London teams would be hypocritical. Plus, I immediately ruled out the Big Five, as that's so cheap (there's eliminating two London clubs right there), and I also don't want a team that's gonna be in the Premier League for one year and sent back down (so that eliminates Cardiff, Hull, Crystal Palace, and possibly Newcastle, Sunderland, and Stoke). So now we're down to nine. It it's any consolation, Everton was a close 3rd in my book. However, I stayed away for a few reasons:
1) Everything I've read makes them seem like they're a more defense-minded team. I'm sorry, but being a sports-loving American dope, I like offense. I'd rather see a 4-3 game than a 1-0 game. Maybe this is a problem should I side with Fulham.
2) Everything I've read makes them seem that they unearth all this great talent, then eventually lose them to the Big Five (I'm counting Man City). So that's no fun, just when they're about to make a breakthrough, they lose their big guns. Sounds like they're forever committed to 5th-7th.
3) Their manager just went to Man Utd. and everything I've read makes them seem their ownership doesn't open the checkbook when it counts. So that's no fun either.

So essentially I didn't just pick Tottenham and Fulham out of a hat, I've been doing some research and was hoping for a little extra push (or at least a few more opinions). Definitely appreciate everyone's take though, please keep 'em coming if you could. Maybe I'll be swayed to side with Norwich City when all's said and done!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,289 times
Quote:
why should he support an MLS team? It's not a lot of fun watching a league that doesn't take the regular season seriously and then lets over half the league into playoffs to decide who the season champion is.

I tried supporting an MLS team but I just couldn't.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM

782 posts, read 1,106,154 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Good call. I see you're in Chicago, go to a few Fire games first, the season is still on. The Fire still have a chance at the playoffs after that horrendous start they made. The next two games are big ones.
The MLS is horrible. Do you tell fans of the Saints/Bears/Texans/Cowboys that they aren't real fans if they don't go out and support their local high school team first? And that high school soccer is best because it is local?

The MLS is getting better and for the health of the game in the US I hope it continues to grow, but there is a huge difference between watching some of the best players in the world (England/Germany/Spain/etc) vs. watching teams full of players who 95% of them are not good enough to make the roster of the worst teams in those Euro leagues.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,439,225 times
Limit your choices to teams with American players. We want our guys to get good by playing in EPL, so we can do well in the WC.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer