Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 05:32 PM

255 posts, read 403,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
More Americans care about La Liga and the Premiere League than they do about the MLS. Ronaldo is not some unknown person. You take Ronaldo and walk him down a main street in Boston, New York, LA, Chicago, etc. and he would have plenty of people asking for photos/autographs and saying hi. Take Landon Donovan and do the same and the reaction would be far less, imo.

Promotion/relegation will simply not work for the MLS. It will be a touch sell getting new owners to buy into the league knowing their team could drop down and lessen their revenue.

Best case is you create a minor league system for the top level MLS clubs each have a minor league affiliate to grow their talent.
Of course it would work if you had owners that complied.

Without owners willing to implement it then its just a non-starter.

But, it is a system that works everywhere in the world. Japan has pro/rel in soccer. They don't have it in baseball. Why did they implement it in soccer? Because its the best structure for soccer leagues (I would argue for all sports leagues)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM

358 posts, read 451,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
Then don't watch soccer.
Sorry, I'm a Chicago Fire fan and watch them play every week. I simply don't want to see them relegated to a minor league. That's silly.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
You're not making an argument. I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Are you? The majority of American sports fans don't want a soccer league in America that is like the rest of the world? Okay..show your work. Show the data that backs this up. Because honestly, this is a very ignorant opinion.

American soccer fans don't care about foreign sports leagues? Look at the EPL ratings..look the Champions League.

That'a a really dumb comment you made.
I'm an American, and honestly I couldn't care less about EPL and other European leagues. I have no connection to the cities or teams.

I do very much enjoy MLS though. I like the rivalries, I like the playoffs, and I like how MLS runs the league. It's a growing league, and I don't see any reason to mess with it.

If there was a financial gain for switching to promotion/relegation, I'm pretty sure the people with money would have done it by now.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,859,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Sorry, I'm a Chicago Fire fan and watch them play every week. I simply don't want to see them relegated to a minor league. That's silly.
That's silly lol, yeah getting the chance to play your way to the top league is silly! Finishing bottom and getting rewarded with 1st draft isn't silly is it

Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
That's silly lol, yeah getting the chance to play your way to the top league is silly! Finishing bottom and getting rewarded with 1st draft isn't silly is it
I know you're being sarcastic, but yes that's how I feel.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:50 PM

Ok, and yes I was being sarcastic - another think Americans don't like

Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,021,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
That's something that foreign sports leagues could learn from North American sports culture.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:45 PM

We don't reward failure.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,424,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
I am sorry you are a Chicago fan too =)

Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,424,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That's something that foreign sports leagues could learn from North American sports culture.
No, drafts are stupid. Period. The rest of the world has youth systems, some of the world class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer