Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:23 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times

Advertisements

The final draw for the 2014 FIFA World Cup will take place on 6 December 2013 at the Costa do Sauípe Resort, Mata de São João in Bahia, at 13:00 local time (UTC−3). The ceremony will determine the group in which the 32 participating teams will begin the final tournament. The teams have been divided in advance by FIFA into four pots based on seedings and geographic regions.

Pot 1 (Seeds)

Brazil (hosts)
Argentina
Colombia
Uruguay
Belgium
Germany
Spain
Switzerland

Pot 2 (Africa & South America)

Algeria
Cameroon
Ivory Coast
Ghana
Nigeria
Chile
Ecuador

Pot 3 (Asia & North America)

Australia
Japan
Iran
South Korea
Costa Rica
Honduras
Mexico
United States

Pot 4 (Europe)

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Croatia
England
France
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Portugal
Russia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_F...ld_Cup_seeding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
USA will probably end up in the Group of Death Hopefully we'll luck out and get Colombia or Switzerland out of the seeded pot

Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM

It's so strange to have Belgium and Switzerland in the seeded pot, and England, France, Italy and Netherlands out of it...

Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
It's so strange to have Belgium and Switzerland in the seeded pot, and England, France, Italy and Netherlands out of it...
England and France don't deserve to be seeded based on recent results. The Netherlands would have been seeded if they hadn't played a friendly in Indonesia (since they actually lost points in the ranking despite beating Indonesia), which was just an amateurish move by the Dutch FA. Italy messed up the last few games in the qualifiers when they knew they needed the points in order to be seeded. So it's really not that strange that these teams aren't seeded, it just seems unjustified considering the teams that took their place.

It's hard for me to rate Belgium and Switzerland because they have hardly played competitive games against quality opposition. I was let down by Colombia in our recent game against them but I'm expecting them to do much better at the WC. Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Germany are the obvious contenders for the title. I would be shocked if the winner wasn't one of these four.

I'm not all that upset about us not being seeds. I would actually like to draw one of Brazil/Argentina/Spain/Germany because it almost guarantees highly entertaining games and at least we won't have to face them in the next round (if we get there). Belgium would also be nice for the neighbour "rivalry". We're not favoured to win the WC anyway so I would just be glad to have some truly memorable and exciting games while we're there. There's no honour in beating Switzerland, Honduras or Iran. This would be my favourite group:

Brazil
Netherlands
Japan
Italy

Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
This would be my favourite group:

Brazil
Netherlands
Japan
Italy

No, pleeeeease NO!!!!!

That would be a true "Group of Death", and I don't want Brazil having to face Italy and Netherlands in the group stage!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
OMG, Im SO nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
2014 FIFA World Cup Group stage Draws Simulator

Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
I'm guessing there will be three groups that will have three teams that are expected to progress out of the group stage. The way the pots are laid out, there wll be a few groups with three strong teams and a weak team. It should be interesting...

Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Who cares! I mean really why make such a big song and dance out of it! they should just pull the names out of a hat and be done with it!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
I think that would be better for all aspects, including qualification but that would make people unhappy if Brazil, Spain, Germany and Italy all got the same group. The pots make it easier for the big teams which is what FIFA want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer