Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,258,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
That's a big issue as well. If they would conform the schedule to the rest of the world...
For me, that would be one of the worst changes possible. I don't really have an interest in going to a Chicago Fire game in February at 5 degrees F. Also, for Fire games, I love tailgating beforehand. I have tailgated in the winter for NFL games, and it is not nearly as good. Warm weather, BBQ, friends, kids playing soccer, then go into the stadium and watch the game with my family and friends...my perfect day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,087,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
For me, that would be one of the worst changes possible. I don't really have an interest in going to a Chicago Fire game in February at 5 degrees F. Also, for Fire games, I love tailgating beforehand. I have tailgated in the winter for NFL games, and it is not nearly as good. Warm weather, BBQ, friends, kids playing soccer, then go into the stadium and watch the game with my family and friends...my perfect day.
True, but people will sit out in a 5 degree game for the NFL. And thousands of fans turn out for games in England in the middle of February.

The MLS season being off from the rest of the world, decreases it's popularity, and decreases the chances of any big name players wanting to come and play here.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 AM

358 posts, read 452,131 times
Quote:
That's a big issue as well. If they would conform the schedule to the rest of the world, and had their league set up like the rest of the world as well, without the pointless playoff system, a lot more European fans would get involved in the MLS.

To me, the MLS just seems to niche and doesn't interest me when I want to watch a real football game.
I think you should give it a chance. Watch a Kansas City, Seattle, or Portland home game. Their stadiums are packed and the league is certainly not niche to those fans.

I can understand how Barclays league fans wouldn't like the playoffs, but if you follow other American sports you would understand. The playoffs are pretty fun in my opinion. Just think of it as a knock-out round.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
True, but people will sit out in a 5 degree game for the NFL. And thousands of fans turn out for games in England in the middle of February.

The MLS season being off from the rest of the world, decreases it's popularity, and decreases the chances of any big name players wanting to come and play here.
I understand your point, but I disagree.

Step one for the MLS is to gain popularity in the USA and I think a winter schedule, up against the most popular US sport (American Football) and bad weather for half the teams would be bad for the league. It may not matter in LA, Florida, or TX, but for NY, Toronto, Chicago it would be a killer.

Personally, I have sat through many winter NFL games, but at some point I decided it was not worth it.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM

750 posts, read 1,066,343 times
I don't understand why arguing about the popularity of MLS in the stadiums. The average attendance of the MSL is number 8 in the world ahead of France’s Ligue 1, Argentina's Primera División and Brazil’s Serie A, the major leagues in those countries.

MLS’s 18,828 per game in 2012 was higher than the NBA’s 2011-12 average of 17,274 and the NHL’s of 17,455.

The big problem of MLS is TV audience. I'm a huge football fan and I just can't make me watch the MLS games at home. They get too fierce competition with other premier leagues around the world with so many options in football broadcasting these days.

Last edited by Indyking; 07-24-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I don't understand why arguing about the popularity of MLS in the stadiums. The average attendance of the MSL is number 8 in the world ahead of France’s Ligue 1, Argentina's Primera División and Brazil’s Serie A, the major leagues in those countries.

MLS’s 18,828 per game in 2012 was higher than the NBA’s 2011-12 average of 17,274 and the NHL’s of 17,455.

The big problem of MLS is TV audience. I'm a huge football fan and I just can't make me watch the MLS games at home. They get too fierce competition with other premier leagues around the world with so many options in football broadcasting these days.
You know, it took me years to start watching MLS games at home, but now I will watch Seattle, Toronto, RSL or Chicago games when they are on. I'll occassionaly watch the Red Bulls for Cahill and Henry, probably the Galaxy, too. There are many teams that just don't catch my interest though. I heard last night that Beasley is coming to Houston, I may watch them now...or DVR them at times.

Basically, after I got familar with some of the names I started watching more games, but it took some time. Also, it is cool seeing some of the young players come up, like Yedlin and Gil, that will likely be on future US men's team.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
You know, it took me years to start watching MLS games at home, but now I will watch Seattle, Toronto, RSL or Chicago games when they are on. I'll occassionaly watch the Red Bulls for Cahill and Henry, probably the Galaxy, too. There are many teams that just don't catch my interest though. I heard last night that Beasley is coming to Houston, I may watch them now...or DVR them at times.

Basically, after I got familar with some of the names I started watching more games, but it took some time. Also, it is cool seeing some of the young players come up, like Yedlin and Gil, that will likely be on future US men's team.
Guess I will just have to be more selective and try harder.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,428,640 times
Quote:

I dont really agree. I like the summer football, the league should be more traditional not like a playoff system.
The thing stopping big name players is money and money only. They go to leagues like Russia for big money so that says a lot.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The thing stopping big name players is money and money only. They go to leagues like Russia for big money so that says a lot.
Russia is a good example and there are many more out there. This is a constant debate in Brazil. Every year, dozens of promissing Brazilian young players end up going to play in places like the United Arabe Emirates, Qatar, Japan, Ukraine, etc attracted by money and they live forgotten by the National team because you don't really develop highly competitive players in modern football unless they play in a strong league.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,423,322 times
Stop spending big money on wages to past it big name players like Lampard, Henry etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer