Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:38 PM

40 posts, read 29,575 times

Advertisements

1) UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
2) Spanish La Liga
3) English Premier League
4) German Bundesliga
5) Italian Serie A
6) French Ligue 1
7) Portuguese Liga
8) Dutch Eredivisie
9) Russian
10)Turkish

Basically every ¨top league¨ in Europe is better than MLS.
MLS is only better than the Irish, Danish, Swedish etc leagues.

11) Liga MX
12) Chinese Super League
13) Argentinian League
14) Brazlian League
15) Japan J-League
16) MLS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Two issues, in my mind, that MLS has is quality of play across positions and then depth. The salary cap and crazy rules that MLS employs to bring players in does the following:

MLS now has access to some high quality players.
-All teams can have 3 really high quality players now, and then a couple more really good ones.
-This means half of the starting line up is really good, but then the salary cap restricts the teams ability to fill out the rest of the team.
-Each team needs to make significant trade offs on where it will be strong and weak

The salary cap affects depth. The team is already making trade-offs on the starting line up, so imagine the trade offs being made for bench players. These guys are normally really young or may have significant deficiencies in their game. If a starter gets hurt or needs a rest, the team suffers the most. It must be a really difficult balance to set a team in the MLS.

Last, the salary cap restricts the ability of the top clubs to become elite within the league, which also hinders their ability to succeed against international power teams, like in Mexico. The salary cap allows these teams to be only so good.

Until the salary cap expands a bit more, or the minimum salary goes up, MLS will just have glaring weaknesses in their teams.
No MLS Team can beat Paris St. German

I would say that LA GALAXY is even worse than Sevilla, Dortmunt, Ajax, Galatasaray or Liverpool

Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave009 View Post
No MLS Team can beat Paris St. German

I would say that LA GALAXY is even worse than Sevilla, Dortmunt, Ajax, Galatasaray or Liverpool
What does that mean ? Even worse? The u19 for those teams would probably destroy LA.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:08 PM

167 posts, read 125,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave009 View Post
1) UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
2) Spanish La Liga
3) English Premier League
4) German Bundesliga
5) Italian Serie A
6) French Ligue 1
7) Portuguese Liga
8) Dutch Eredivisie
9) Russian
10)Turkish

Basically every ¨top league¨ in Europe is better than MLS.
MLS is only better than the Irish, Danish, Swedish etc leagues.

11) Liga MX
12) Chinese Super League
13) Argentinian League
14) Brazlian League
15) Japan J-League
16) MLS
Not sure that MLS is better than Danish or Swedish leagues. Never saw any Irish league games, but I've seen a few Danish and Swedish games and I was pretty impressed. I thought quality of play was better than what I normally see in MLS.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:04 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
MLS is League One level in England. (Third division) A few select teams could crack Championship level for a bit , but that's it. And those would ebb and flow.

problem is roster depth and overall money. Even the best teams could never compete over a whole season in the Championship.

simply look at value of teams, salaries, transfer values, and how a guy like Giovinnco can come over here and tear it up or aging Europeans or Americans can come over here and slot right in.

Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore, et al.

MLS should first worry about beating Mexican teams on a regular basis and winning CCL than worrying about anything else.

and yes, retirement league is real. plus they always are making the wrong decisions with turf, ground share with NFL teams, gridiron lines from high school football (not just pros), overexpansion and the beauty of it is I don't have to watch because it's 2016 and there are so many options even with basic cable,,,

Premier League, FA Cup, Bundesliga, Uefa CL, Europa league

so why watch?

Old 01-20-2017, 10:47 AM

143 posts, read 158,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth94 View Post
I'd say the MLS is currently on par with the English Championship, the tier below the Premier League.
No way. The Sounders (MLS champions) are my local team and Newcastle (currently top of Championship table) are my favorite European side. Having watched a lot of both teams, Newcastle would destroy the Sounders. It would be the same going down the table as well. MLS is maybe on par with the 3rd tier of English soccer

Old 01-23-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
Not sure that MLS is better than Danish or Swedish leagues. Never saw any Irish league games, but I've seen a few Danish and Swedish games and I was pretty impressed. I thought quality of play was better than what I normally see in MLS.
Hahah true.

Even the Swedish league you will find lots of talents who make the jump to bigger leagues liKE Zlatan, Larsson etc.

MLS is maybe on the same level of the Polish/ Hungarian/ Australian league.

Liga MX dominates the concacaf cup, real madrid beat club america without even trying.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
We have a lot of Europeans in this forum? Very interesting.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
For me right now. MLS is moving up to 2nd place after the NFL.

NFL
MLS
NBA
MLB

I live in Atlanta. I would really love to see the Hawks do well, but I dont know if they after will. I hate the Braves and wish they would lose ALL of their games for infinity. Falcons were just in the Super Bowl. Atlanta United is new a fresh. No losing season (or winning season) on record.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
For me right now. MLS is moving up to 2nd place after the NFL.

NFL
MLS
NBA
MLB

I live in Atlanta. I would really love to see the Hawks do well, but I dont know if they after will. I hate the Braves and wish they would lose ALL of their games for infinity. Falcons were just in the Super Bowl. Atlanta United is new a fresh. No losing season (or winning season) on record.
To me, it looks like the NBA is beginning to fall... Or has been for some time. And I attribute that to the moronic players who are seeking nothing more than celebrity status. (Why is there a basketball wives show?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer