Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 03:31 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Oh my god, it's not rocket science mate. Is it really so difficult to understand that people playing a team game, where they need to concentrate on what's going on around them, and not looking straight ahead at full pelt, requires a different set of skills? Being able to sprint like Usain Bolt is not required. You're also ignoring the surface they're playing on and the footwear they're wearing.
Fitness and stamina more important.

Soccer players need to be very very fit, not an once of fat, most have washboard abs
and they are not bulky like american football players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 03:57 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

Soccer players need to be very very fit, not an once of fat, most have washboard abs
This too

Old 07-07-2018, 08:21 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

Having correct form goes a long way in maintaining stamina. It maximizes, and makes your body more efficient. And it keeps you from getting injured. Ronaldo's form in the vid I posted, is horrible for his joints.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 PM

Mods close. OP has no serious point or argument.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why do soccer players have such terrible running form/technique?

For a sport with so much running, you think, they learn how to maximize their stride, how to use their arms, and to position their bodies. But if you watch them, they are terrible. I think they need to bring in some track coaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSL-gPMPVXI

NFL has a lot of former track athletes, or dual sport track/football athletes. I guess track and field are not that big in Europe, Latin America, Asia, Africa.
Just curious did you watch the video you posted??

I wasn't going to watch the whole 45 minutes but I watched the first 7 minutes where speed and running technique were measured Ronaldo against a world class sprinter...

Here is what I took away from that...

In a short straight line sprint against a world class sprinter, despite less than perfect "sprinting technique" Ronaldo was only .3 of a second slower...

In a longer zig zag course that more accurately represents the type of running that a soccer player will do during a game, Ronaldo was .5 seconds FASTER than the world class sprinter with his "perfect technique"

Add in the fact that most soccer players are running close to a 10K every game with constant stops, starts, changes in directions with and without a ball at their feet and it seems the soccer player is doing quite well...

Did you actually have a point here??

The world class sprinter was SLOWER than Ronaldo when performing "soccer style running" what exactly is a track coach going to teach a soccer player?

Your last comment regarding the relative popularity of Track and Field in the US compared to Europe, Latin America, Africa also display a warped view which indicates you really don't know any more about Track and Field than you do about soccer seeing as Track and Field are MUCH more popular in the countries/continents you mentioned than in the US

Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

I wasn't going to watch the whole 45 minutes but I watched the first 7 minutes where speed and running technique were measured Ronaldo against a world class sprinter...

In a short straight line sprint against a world class sprinter, despite less than perfect "sprinting technique" Ronaldo was only .3 of a second slower...

In a longer zig zag course that more accurately represents the type of running that a soccer player will do during a game, Ronaldo was .5 seconds FASTER than the world class sprinter with his "perfect technique"

Add in the fact that most soccer players are running close to a 10K every game with constant stops, starts, changes in directions with and without a ball at their feet and it seems the soccer player is doing quite well...

The world class sprinter was SLOWER than Ronaldo when performing "soccer style running" what exactly is a track coach going to teach a soccer player?

Your last comment regarding the relative popularity of Track and Field in the US compared to Europe, Latin America, Africa also display a warped view which indicates you really don't know any more about Track and Field than you do about soccer seeing as Track and Field are MUCH more popular in the countries/continents you mentioned than in the US
Well he's been given informed counter-arguments by myself and others on here but stubbornly won't give up. I think he's trying to push an agenda that football (soccer) players are inferior to US athletes (see the tall/basketball thread) even though the sports are not directly comparable and require different skill-sets.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:

LOL there are plenty of moments in soccer when the players run in straight lines, and not zig zags. Fine soccer players are great at zig zaging. Does not mean they dont need proper straight line form.

I use the vid to illustrate the poor form of Ronaldo. Actually if you watch soccer enough, many top players have terrible form in straight lines. Like Kylian Mbappe. One arm does not move, the other swings side ways.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:

This.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:21 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:

Yeah ... but form and stuff.
This is a ridiculous thread.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This.
"this" amounts to nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer