Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
...the evidence supports yet another stolen election by the GOP, for the reason advanced by Ms. Couric during her whitewash of the affair.
There is no one in SC who would rather see DeMint lose, and I would love to see the Alvin Greene debacle traced back to Karen Floyd and her mob. But sorry, I haven't seen any evidence, only inuendo.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but IMO, it's just one more case of SC democrats shooting themselves in the foot. The party made the stupid assumption all along that Rawl would win easily, and thus, there was a terrible failure in getting Rawl's name in front of voters. Except for the small minority who actually watch debates and research candidates, I'd venture a guess that none of the primary candidates were known to voters. Unfortunately, first-name-on-the-ballot syndrome is too often a reality, and I think a major player in this primary. Sad, sad, sad....

Regardless, it will have no impact on the ultimate outcome of the senate election, but yes, it could reflect poorly on other contests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,009,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
There is no one in SC who would rather see DeMint lose, and I would love to see the Alvin Greene debacle traced back to Karen Floyd and her mob. But sorry, I haven't seen any evidence, only inuendo.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but IMO, it's just one more case of SC democrats shooting themselves in the foot. The party made the stupid assumption all along that Rawl would win easily, and thus, there was a terrible failure in getting Rawl's name in front of voters. Except for the small minority who actually watch debates and research candidates, I'd venture a guess that none of the primary candidates were known to voters. Unfortunately, first-name-on-the-ballot syndrome is too often a reality, and I think a major player in this primary. Sad, sad, sad....

Regardless, it will have no impact on the ultimate outcome of the senate election, but yes, it could reflect poorly on other contests.

Quote:
Black Box Voting - America's Elections Watchdog Group

"1. The profile of this particular anomaly appears to rule out voting machine malprogramming at the county level. Whatever went wrong in South Carolina voting machines happened (most likely) in Omaha, or (less likely) at the state board of elections level.

Therefore, it's about time that we find out the name(s) of the programmers in Omaha who coded the iVotronic cartridges that went out to South Carolina."
That's from a related thread.

The problem with our two (or in reality, one) party system is that it's bankrolled by corporate America- a group that's on record as opposing democracy.

That's right: On Record.

Therefore, neither side of the Corporatist Party will challenge obviously rigged elections, although non-corporate political orgs (Nader, Libertarians) have (Ohio 2004), and the judicial system of this country is so corrupted that the prevailing case law says individual voters have no standing to sue in such matters.

And of course, the corporate noise machine that was once a free press (See the Akre case) is mute on such matters

Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,581,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
As a transplant, I would beg to differ. But then again, "backwater" is such a relative term. For example, the reference to a "corridor of shame" seems extremely backwaters to me. Isn't this a very derogatory and stigmatizing way to define an area? What comprehensive attempts are South Carolinians making to change this area? Or, are people content with an area being defined as a "corridor of shame?" And, is that the real shame?
The "Corridor of Shame" name comes from a documentary about the poor, rural school districts along I-95. You can find out more here: CORRIDOR OF SHAME: The Neglect of South Carolina's Rural Schools The area has deep ties to agriculture, and is generally weak economic system in place. So, the portion of the state with the poorest education systems, are also the heart of the democratic voting base in South Carolina.

And, if you're begging to differ on the location of the relative term of "backwater" places in South Carolina, then I challenge you to drive through the Upstate sometime, and then experience the rural lowcountry. It's all in one's perception, but I've never run across the kind of places that I've seen in rural Allendale, Colleton, and Hampton Counties ANYWHERE else in South Carolina.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
The "Corridor of Shame" name comes from a documentary about the poor, rural school districts along I-95. You can find out more here: CORRIDOR OF SHAME: The Neglect of South Carolina's Rural Schools The area has deep ties to agriculture, and is generally weak economic system in place. So, the portion of the state with the poorest education systems, are also the heart of the democratic voting base in South Carolina.

And, if you're begging to differ on the location of the relative term of "backwater" places in South Carolina, then I challenge you to drive through the Upstate sometime, and then experience the rural lowcountry. It's all in one's perception, but I've never run across the kind of places that I've seen in rural Allendale, Colleton, and Hampton Counties ANYWHERE else in South Carolina.
I notice that nothing is said about the "corridor of shame" having the most segregated schools in a largely segregated state.

But if you base "corridor of shame" on education alone, then I suggest it starts as soon as you cross the Tyger river on I-26 and ends with the "Welcome To Georgia" sign on the Savannah River; SC schools being ranked #51 out of 51 (DC schools included.)

As far as party politics, again you don't factor race into the equation in a state where race is still THE equation. Colleton, Bamberg and Hampton Counties are far above the norm as to % of black residents, and therefore have been neglected by the SC political machine based in the metro areas where whites now predominate- thanks to the state's repressive "Heirs Land" laws.

Now I'll grant you that it's tough to find a part of SC that is progressive- or even normal- by US standards. But I always equate the Upcountry with the "progressive" policies of Bob Jones U.- where adult students arte now allowed to date "Outside their race.", as long as they have signed permission from their parents.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Now I'll grant you that it's tough to find a part of SC that is progressive- or even normal- by US standards. But I always equate the Upcountry with the "progressive" policies of Bob Jones U.- where adult students arte now allowed to date "Outside their race.", as long as they have signed permission from their parents.
You equate the entire Upstate (over 1.2 million people in GSA alone) with a tiny, gated school of less than 4,000 students?? That's a shame. But then again, you also don't think decent schools exist in South Carolina... so, what can I say? Must be that "lowcountry snob" attitude??

Would you recognize forward-thinking leadership and policies? If so then maybe you should branch out a bit and take a look around your own state. You'd find that progressiveness does exist in SC, and there's some normal stuff, too! Liberal does not equal progressive.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
You equate the entire Upstate (over 1.2 million people in GSA alone) with a tiny, gated school of less than 4,000 students?? That's a shame. But then again, you also don't think decent schools exist in South Carolina... so, what can I say? Must be that "lowcountry snob" attitude??

Would you recognize forward-thinking leadership and policies? If so then maybe you should branch out a bit and take a look around your own state. You'd find that progressiveness does exist in SC, and there's some normal stuff, too! Liberal does not equal progressive.
How about the fact that the Upcountry is the heart of SC's GOP- the same guys who used Bob Jones to run the infamous "Black baby" smear against John McCain in the 2000 Republican state primary in SC?

And I only state what the stats show about SC's schools- the worst in the nation.
There are some good schools in SC- lily white ones that are private. But that's also a function of a backward-thinking populace which seeks to keep its traditional master-slave system.

As for 'Progressive', 54% of Americans are not familiar with that term in a political context.

A Google search seems to be in order- that's my suggestion.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:

There are some good schools in SC- lily white ones that are private. .
This is sad. You would not know this apparently, but there are excellent PUBLIC schools in South Carolina, too!

As example, the district that I'm most familiar with: Greenville County Schools (enrollment: 70,000)
In Greenville County- 88% of all PUBLIC school graduates each year go on to college. The district is nationally accredited for high quality. Furthermore, 8 out of 14 of the County's PUBLIC high schools rank in the top 6% NATIONALLY by Newsweek Magazine.

Furthermore, there's no fair way to compare states' education systems. Do some research. In some states, less than 5% of students take the SAT, others have near 90% taking the test, even ones that have no intention of going to college. Thus, how can we compare those scores? In much the same way, the ACT varies drastically by state. Yet, if you think someone is constantly out to get you, then you'll ignore these facts and continue to boast one's unfair comparison because it puts the state in a bad light... So ignore away, but don't group the entire state's education system in with your poor understanding of its offerings.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:02 AM

The lie about only the few (in 'other' states of course) taking SAT, ACT, is just that- a lie.

And SC's ranking (51 of 51) is shown by stats.

I can provide links if you doubt, but as I remember just these same conversations on this board last year, we're just polishing the polish here, as the commercial used to say.

And don't believe corporate rags like Newsweek, etc, as they exploit situations to advance their agenda.
Go instead to source data for Dept Of Ed, etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 AM

We're in denial: The better educated a SC student (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:bzrCgMmXqtsJ:www.swampfox.ws/nc_sc_sat+sc+public+schools+last+in+sat&cd=10&hl=e n&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

"Well... there's much more to reality than that. Many of us who are more highly educated and affluent than the average South Carolinian smugly take comfort in the illusion that the problem is not us; average SC scores are low merely because we have lots of poor people. We believe, because we want to believe, that SC is last in SAT scores because there is a larger percentage of students taking the test in SC than in states with higher scores. That simply is not true."

Old 07-22-2010, 11:58 AM

I'm not asserting that that's the ONLY reason that we're lagging. But, it does play into the equation. I'm also not offering up excuses for our education system as a state. HOWEVER, playing the race card and spewing generalizations about our schools cannot go unchecked. Yes, we have some TERRIBLE schools in the state. I know that is a fact. However, YOU fail to realize that we also have areas in the state that celebrate education and offer quality public schools. But, that's probably your lowcountry snob side coming out, right? I don't have the time to put into this right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina