Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 35,335 times

Advertisements

Hello to all..
This is my 2nd post Reguarding Salters S.C. I will be moving there in august with my Husband to be. I heard that there is absolutly NOTHING to do there, and It will be a total culture shock to me I will go to visit next week, and see it for myself, however any experiences I would love to hear..I'm desperate, and all ears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 AM

194 posts, read 748,542 times
Salters is very small rural town and that is likely why you are having to post a second time.....not many people there online?....lol...
Seriously I don't know much about Salters as I have only driven past on 521 on the way to Columbia, Camden or going to the Lake Marion....do you like to fish?....boating on the lake is a plus as it is not too far....
I have a friend that lives near the lake outside Manning and culture shock is possible depending on where you are moving from.
Having lived in a small rural town for a few years I can tell you it has good and bad points but as long as you do not focus on the negative aspects of small town living it really isn't that bad.
On the bright side day trips to the beach, Charleston or Columbia are easy drives.
Good Luck with your new adventure:-)

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Thank you for responding.
I guess folk aren't online very often. I am moving from Upper marlboro Maryland, right outside of Washington D.C. I look at it like this, I don't do much at home, I don't go out often unless planned. I work and take care of the home. I guess I will have to wait and see if for myself, I often hear that it will be a serious culture shock...oh well, this time next week, I shall see.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,019,345 times
A general thought: sometimes the sound of "nothing" can be quite refreshing after big city life.

but yes anywhere in this state offers quick day trips to the ocean, mountains, lakes, and any "city needs" that may pop up--all allowing to be back home that same evening.

best of luck

Old 07-12-2010, 02:41 PM

370 posts, read 947,309 times
Overall, I'd recommend living near one of the 3 main cities in SC, namely Charleston, Greenville and Columbia. There is nothing near Salters, unfortunately, that I'd recommend. It's in a rather depressed area, IMO. Just wondering why you chose Salters as a starting point. Was it job related?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,559 times
Moving from suburban Maryland to Salters, SC? Yep, you're in for a major culture shock.

One big question would be: is your husband willing to commute (and how far) if it means you could live in a better area?

If your husband is willing to drive about 1hr. each way than you could look at cities like Goose Creek (Berkeley County) and Summerville (Dorchester County). Both are considered suburbs of Charleston with the typical suburban amenities (shopping, dining, decent housing, etc.) that you won't find in Salters. Also both are places that will have attracted a good number of transplants from other states which I know is often important to newcomers.

Maybe there are neighborhoods or areas close to Goose Creek or Summerville that you could find that put you closer distance-wise to Salters. One thought would be Moncks Corner (Berkeley County). There is some decent stuff there and it would put you closer to Salters and close to Goose Creek/Charleston area.

Another option all-together would be to live on the coast in the Georgetown area (south of Myrtle Beach), which would put you about 45 minutes or so from Salters. Then you could do all your activities on the Grand Strand where there is tons of stuff going on.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Thank you soo much for responding! I'm soo ready to leave on thursday, just to get a piece of mind. I'm going to leave everything in the "city" and just relax..thanks again for responding!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Well, my husband to be was born and raised there. He recently was giving his family auto shop, and ask me was I willing to move there. So I will travel 7/15 to check it out.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
Mrs. Croskey, please post after you visit or move to Salters and let us know what you think.

You never know, you know ... there could be someone else wanting to relocate to Salters.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Hello Carolina Woman...
I must say, some thought that I would have a culture shock once I arrived, but it was the other way around. Once I returned to Maryland, I was Mad to see soo much traffic, and rude people. I LOVED Salters, though there is not much there to do, I love the peacefulness, the respect, and the slowness. Though there is not much to do there, and not many stores, the neighboring town of Kingstree, provides dining,shopping, and salons. I have decided to move there on 8/15..I will keep you posted!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina