Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,999 times

Advertisements

I am a Happily married man with a step son getting close to double digits, I work for FedEx in Michigan and Im looking into moving South. Ive looked into the "hubs" in S.C. and I've visited various locations but would like to hear some opinions of "locals" and where would be good schools, affordable housing, close to shopping but not in the city, and in general a few good places to start a looksee of potential places to move my family.
I LOVE the ocean and my wife has never been, my "goal" no more than an hour and half from work nor ocean but still be able to afford a home. Can someone give me a suggestion?? Price range were looking at would be topping out at 180K and I'd like not to live on top of my neighbors. Looking for suggestions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,995,719 times
What part of SC? Impossible to answer w/o a little more info. I can tell you a lot about the midlands and a little about the other parts but your area is too broad for me to give any useful info.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Well, I was thinking about working in either Columbia or Charleston....still unsure. Id like to be an hour to hour and half from the ocean while no longer than an hour from work. (thats my commute now) I looked into summerville & orangeburg. And Im coming down there in Jan for a week, we'd like to have a look around and get a feel for some area's.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Columbia has 3 districts in the suburbs that a lot of parents ask for frequently. Richland 2 (NE Columbia - 29223/29229 zip codes), Lexington/Richland 5 (29063/29036/29212/29210 zips), and Lexington 1 (29072/29073 zip codes). If you want more in-town look into Dreher HS and it's feeder schools. I wouldn't recommend any of O'burg schools but check them out for yourself.

Columbia's average sales price is ~160,000 from Jan 1-June 30, 2010. In 2009 it was $161,000 so we appear to be stable after a price drop from $175,000 in 2008. I don't have a crystal ball, but I expect we'll be roughly the same next year. Part of the reason for Columbia's stability is a varied economy with a major military base (Fort Jackson), a major university (USC), the state capital creating gov't jobs, and some contributing businesses/factories. The 180k max will get you on average a good neighborhood, 3+ BR home, ~2400 sf, 2 car garage, .25 acre lot around the Columbia suburbs.

Columbia is about an hour and a half from the Charleston beaches so day trips over the weekend are feasible. We also have Lake Murray that covers parts of 5 counties and features 500 miles of shoreline. It's also about 2 hours from the mountains if you want a change of scenery.

Charleston is also a great area. I lived in the lowcountry for 5 years and loved it, though to me Columbia feels more like home because of the tourist industry of the coast. SC features a Columbia and a Charleston sub category and I recommend posting there for some additional information. Both have a lot of people who moved from various parts of the country for the reasons I posted already. Nothing of course will replace visiting both yourself. It really comes down to where you feel more at home. Both are great places to live in my opinion. We'd love to have you in either city.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Driving 74 mph it takes 55 minutes to get from I-26 and I-77 to I-26 and I-95 (based on years of driving down to see my grandmother), so making it from Columbia to the beaches of Charleston in an hour and a half is not doable legally. The state highway patrol has stepped up its efforts to bust people speeding within 22 miles of Charleston on I-26. If you don't mind living in a sleepy southern town with more potential than anything else in its central business district, I suggest Orangeburg in a neighborhood where it's zoned for Edisto High School or plan to send your children to the private school there.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 PM

I appreciate the input and suggestions. I plan to make a visit as I say in Jan....look forward to seeing NO SNOW! (lol) And checking out the towns that make us feel like home. Look forward to more opinions & input. Thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I suggest Orangeburg in a neighborhood where it's zoned for Edisto High School or plan to send your children to the private school there.
Wouldn't this area tack on another 30 mins to his commute just to get to I26?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
17 creeping

Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Brandon, where would I be more likely to find a home with say....4 br and 2 baths for around my range? Im okay with modulars, and would like a little more than 1/4 acre. Not trying ot be too difficult but would like to be comfortable as well. Say in the burbs/rural areas around the south south east of Columbia 45 minutes to an hour away from Columbia itself at a max.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,918,782 times
Selfmademan72,
Check out realtor dot com and enter Aiken, SC.
You must find it on the map when you come down and visit us!
Once you visit, you will never want to leave.
Good Luck to you!
(you can also input Aiken, Sc in search on google and find out more about Aiken).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina