Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 18,024 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to moving to either North or South Carolina within the next few years with our 2 young teen girls.

I live in a small town North of Pittsburgh,,tired of the weather. But I dont want to move too far south.

Jobs: My husband is disabled,,and I will be graduating nursing school in a few months and will be a LPN after I take boards. I know nurses are in demand in alot of areas,,is that the same for South Carolina?
I have looked on internet,,there are jobs listed, I would def get a job before I move.

Taxes: Ok for example, I live in a modular ranch style home. Its about 1000 square feet and on a lot of .27 acres. Between county and school taxes I pay around $2,000.00 a year. I aslo pay 1% income tax on wages and taxes on on everything but food is 6%, no taxes on food. I have tried to look it up online but it's hard to deceifer.

I am not expecting the Perfect place and I know every city and state has its pro and cons. I have lived in PA all my life and am a bit nervous..just want to get as much research done as I can. Then find some areas that really interest us and go take trips to check things out.

Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:03 AM

130 posts, read 266,829 times
Your taxes in SC would be lower, but then that is why we have such poor schools and expensive state colleges, as well as poor roads and transportation.
Cost of living is higher in NC, but you might want to consider the Asheville NC area. Cooler, but not a lot of snow or ice generally speaking. More progressive attitudes and more receptive of people from outside the area than many cities in SC
Would avoid any town in SC with population of less than 10,000 unless it butts right up against a large city.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,547,099 times
Taxes in SC are generally lower but if you are only paying 1% income tax to PA you will pay up to 7% in SC on that money. Sales tax is 6% and some locales tack on an extra amount to that. Property tax on that home should be lower in most areas except maybe nearer to the coast. And don't forget to figure property tax on your car(s), boat(s), motorhomes, etc.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM

So i guess all in all it pretty much evens out as far as taxes go then.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,547,099 times
Depends on where you come from and for you it doesn't sound like it's going to be too much different except that it goes to different places. You may save in other areas of your life like car insurance, electricity, winter heat. Those that save the most are paying double or triple+ property tax over what you pay now.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,551,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersgirl97 View Post
My husband and I are looking to moving to either North or South Carolina within the next few years with our 2 young teen girls.

I live in a small town North of Pittsburgh,,tired of the weather. But I dont want to move too far south.

Jobs: My husband is disabled,,and I will be graduating nursing school in a few months and will be a LPN after I take boards. I know nurses are in demand in alot of areas,,is that the same for South Carolina?
I have looked on internet,,there are jobs listed, I would def get a job before I move.

Taxes: Ok for example, I live in a modular ranch style home. Its about 1000 square feet and on a lot of .27 acres. Between county and school taxes I pay around $2,000.00 a year. I aslo pay 1% income tax on wages and taxes on on everything but food is 6%, no taxes on food. I have tried to look it up online but it's hard to deceifer.

I am not expecting the Perfect place and I know every city and state has its pro and cons. I have lived in PA all my life and am a bit nervous..just want to get as much research done as I can. Then find some areas that really interest us and go take trips to check things out.

Thanks a bunch!!
Things in SC that are cheaper than other states:

Homes ~ as long as your salary does not suffer with the move you will be able to afford more house in SC then you would get in Pittsburgh for the same amount of money.

Car Insurance & Homeowners Insurance

Gas

Property taxes

Things that cost just as much in SC as it does in other states:

Food ~ you will find grocery store prices there to be the same as other states.

Clothing ~ same as other states.

Utility Bills ~ Electricity and gas bills cost just as much in SC as they do in other states. Many of the areas only have one service provider for the gas and the electric.......which of course allows them to have a monopoly and charge what they want.

Vehicle purchase ~ dealerships in SC tend to charge around the same thing as other states.

Whatever you do just do not make the mistake that I made when I relocated to SC a few years ago......don't rush into a home purchase (big commitment), rent for a few years and see how things work out first. This way if life throws any surprises your way (lay off, don't like the south etc.) then all you have to do is pack up and move back home. Many of us move from northern states that have home prices 5x's more expensive then SC.....we get excited at how much home we can get for our money and we jump right in before we know for sure how things are going to work out with the move.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the advice!! I was planning on buying..but I think that is a great idea to rent first. I am going to set some money aside for emergency as you will never know what might happen. I am a
"what if" type of person. Thanks soooooo much!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:35 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,060 times
I wouldn't consider moving to SC with 2 teen girls...or boys for that matter. Schools are sub par...waaaaaaaaaaaaay sub par.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:02 PM

28 posts, read 41,174 times
Default I'd choose NC

Relocated to SC years ago and have raised three daughters. Low cost of living, but after being used to PA services, you will notice a real difference.

SC's schools have a much worse reputation than many of them deserve. If you can afford to live in a relatively affluent, white area, you will get a great bargain on an excellent education. We have some really good state colleges here and our education lottery money mostly goes to fund college scholarships for top (read white, affluent) students.

SC's economy is bad, and has been bad for a long time. We are encouraging our girls to leave as they finish school - and we will be leaving ourselves.

The biggest challenge for us has been cultural. If you are white, politically and socially very conservative, and a church-going Christian, you will be very comfortable here. if you are different on any of those dimensions, you will feel it.

SC's political system is terrible - not only absolutely dominated by one party (Republican, which may be fine with you), but also corrupt and run by the good ol' boy system (even though looks like we'll be electing a female Tea Partier as governor this year.)

All in all, IMO NC is just less Deep South and Bible Belt than SC, so the culture is more mainstream. Still warm, still leans right, still less expensive and less congested than where you are, but doing much better on almost all counts.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,007,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karacarina11 View Post

SC's schools have a much worse reputation than many of them deserve. If you can afford to live in a relatively affluent, white area, you will get a great bargain on an excellent education.
South Carolina to a TEE!

But it won't be an 'excellent' education, even then.

And that the overt racism does not bother people is just scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina