Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times

Advertisements

First this morning I read a depressing article about the bleak future of the bulk of America's retiring baby boomers due to their poor retirement planning. Then I read an equally depressing article saying American businesses are creating most of their new jobs overseas because the U.S. has fallen so far behind emerging nations in educating its children (and still falling). Everything from toy makers to chemical researchers to mathematicians are finding jobs in India and China while more and more bright young Americans are saving for a plane ticket and a quick start in their overseas careers. Without a fast, comprehensive turnaround with effective, efficient leadership, there won't be a city in this country that's not second- or third-rate compared to its peer cities overseas, so why argue among ourselves, especially in a small state like South Carolina?

Here's the second article.

Where are the jobs? For many companies, overseas - Business - Nation - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2010/12/28/1622277/where-are-the-jobs-for-many-companies.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
First this morning I read a depressing article about the bleak future of the bulk of America's retiring baby boomers due to their poor retirement planning...
I read the same article, and it scared the **** outta me. 10,000 additional Americans reaching Medicare age every day for the next 19 years! We haven't yet seen what a real healthcare crisis looks like.

Still, I'm supposed to feel sorry for a 61 year old, laid off from a $6-figure executive position and living in a rented apt, because he managed to save only $5000 over his working career? I don't think so. When the US decline comes, and it inevitably will, it won't be due to Republicans, Democrats, the Chinese, global warming, NAFTA, or anything else we find to blame it on. It will come down because of our ever-growing national culture of "I want it all, and I want it NOW!" Any student who studied a wee bit of Roman history knows the story...

Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,792 times
It is sad for the US and the economy....the US's dominance is in jeopardy.....cannot be on top forever. Let's face it...this invention called the United States of America gained its status around the world through theft, rape, murder and the subjugation of other countries around the world. But the only problem is that if America decided to steal in order to get to the top they should have never given other countries their power. They have allowed countries like China and India to manfacture everything just to save money at the expense of American stability. Unfortunately America has this arrogant, I am the smartest country in the world chip on its shoulders.....while it was busy patting itself on the back these countries that it underestimated have now become very strong with the business that American business's so stupidly handed to them. We complain but how many of us are driving Toyotas, Hondas, BMWs and Mercedes instead of Fords and Chryslers? Do we read labels when we go into stores and when it says made in China refuse to buy it? So the power is in our hands and in our wallets!

When you are a tyrant you must always watch your back, otherwise someone else will put a knife in it....money is power! Now let's see if America is smart enough to turn its mistakes around.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 12-28-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
...10,000 additional Americans reaching Medicare age every day for the next 19 years! We haven't yet seen what a real healthcare crisis looks like.

Still, I'm supposed to feel sorry for a 61 year old, laid off from a $6-figure executive position and living in a rented apt, because he managed to save only $5000 over his working career? I don't think so. When the US decline comes, and it inevitably will, it won't be due to Republicans, Democrats, the Chinese, global warming, NAFTA, or anything else we find to blame it on. It will come down because of our ever-growing national culture of "I want it all, and I want it NOW!" Any student who studied a wee bit of Roman history knows the story...
I agree, and would like to add that we currently hard-working citizens should not be expected to bail them out through higher tax rates and inefficient social services, but rather to show mercy by voluntarily giving them our time, skills, and/or available resources with sincere love for their souls and concern for their health and wellness.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Someone sent me a message asking where I had read the article about the dire straits baby boomer Americans face in retirement. Here it is.

Montgomeryadvertiser - Baby Boomers near 65 with retirements in jeopardy

Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Someone sent me a message asking where I had read the article about the dire straits baby boomer Americans face in retirement. Here it is.

Montgomeryadvertiser - Baby Boomers near 65 with retirements in jeopardy

Thanks ColumbiaData!

Interesting article.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,918,782 times
Personally, I think it's the Americans own fault.
This is nothing new, this has been happening for decades.
I always knew I would never collect Social Security and that I could
never retire. Ten years ago I figured that one out.
If you are not in a job that can't be outscourced, you better get one now.
(did I spell that right?)
I told all my kids who are in college(working their way through without student loans),
train for jobs that people need you in person to fix something so you have a job
after more jobs are gone.
This is just the beginning. Tens of thousands of more jobs are going to go overseas.
You think there are alot of forclosures now? Just wait and see in the next couple of years
how many more there will be because these jobs are not coming back.
Our politicans are doing this to us, and it started in the early 70's.
Anybody remember the song "Allentown" by Billy Joel?
I hope noone reading this collects Social Security or Medicare, because that is
going. Guarantee that will be cut big time.
Then there will be no middle class left, just really rich and really poor.
Like a third world country.
And we did nothing, we voted those liars in.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times
The biggest irony I can think if is that the bloated, inefficient, tax-gouging federal government that sent and continues to send hundreds of thousands of jobs overseas with their ignorant policies is the same government that uses our tax dollars to pay for job retraining for people whose jobs went overseas. They sign NAFTA into law, to cite just one example, and then they use your and my hard-earned money to train the people whose jobs were lost because of their short-sighted stupidity. Makes perfect sense, right?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Do we read labels when we go into stores and when it says made in China refuse to buy it? So the power is in our hands and in our wallets!
TOTALLY agree with this!! I drive my family nuts because I was reading all of the labels of comforters, blankets, towels, etc when we were outfitting the house. I REFUSED to buy anything made in China.

Do you know how hard it is to find American made towels? Look it up on the net! Companies we THOUGHT were American, no longer are. Try finding a nice comforter that isn't made in some other country, and one that doesn't need to be dry cleaned "only".

We are sacrificing quality for saving some money, and risking our worker's jobs over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina