Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:19 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How is that possible? It's FEDERAL LAW that if the base wage + tips doesn't equal the minimum wage that the employer must make up the difference.

If his paycheck doesn't add up to 7.25 per hour then he needs to call the wage and hour board.
Seasonal/part time jobs are not included in that $7.25 per hour law. For instance, I work at a minor league ballpark and seasonal jobs start at $6.00 an hour without tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
A car hop is your server just like any restaurant you tip.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Seasonal/part time jobs are not included in that $7.25 per hour law. For instance, I work at a minor league ballpark and seasonal jobs start at $6.00 an hour without tips.
But Sonic isn't seasonal, it's no different than working part time at McDonalds or Burger King, and those places have to pay minimum wage.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
But Sonic isn't seasonal, it's no different than working part time at McDonalds or Burger King, and those places have to pay minimum wage.
The hourly pay varies at different locations because Sonic operates both corporate and franchise restaurants. Some carhops receive a modest wage higher than the state minimum while others earn less than minimum wage and depend on tips to bridge the gap.

In short, tip if you want, but never assume someone is undeserving of a tip because of surcharges or the misconception that his hourly pay rate is too high.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,823 times
Default wrong

i work at sonic as a skating carhop.
we used to make min wage as a carhop, then a little over for skating car hops... plus tips.
but now its 5.25 an hr for skating and walking carhops.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,823 times
I'm a skating carhop. We used to make more depending on if we skated or not, and also earned tips. That changed a few yeasrs ago, now we make 5.25 an hour. our salary relys on tips. we do alot more than just bring u food also. we help make it, bag it, make drinks and ice creams, take orders, and try to get u ur food out as fast as we can while smiling. That may not seem like much, but when ur dealing with 20 orders at once it is! If the food isnt out fast dont get mad at us, we cant always control that, the cooks do most of that work. Its very upsetting to have rude customers. Regardless of weather or customers attitudes we are always smiling and nice, so yes tip us.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
I always tip at least 20% at Sonic IF it is deserved. I am old enough to be a Grandpa to most of the employees but I can remember how hard it was getting money in High School and College. The foot long Chili Cheese Dog from Sonic is an experience everyone should have at least once.

GL2

Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,361 times
I had one Sonic carhop take her tip out of my change when she was counting it back to me (i.e. total was $6.40; $0.60 makes 7, (one dollar bill) 8, (one dollar bill) 9, and 1 for my tip. I was too shocked to say no.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM

38 posts, read 111,198 times
Well, because I dont have to get out of my car and they bring the food to me, I feel that I should tip. However, I dont tip a cashier who has a "tip jar" as is the custom in some places. Why should I tip someone for taking my order and my money?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM

113 posts, read 309,237 times
Every time I go to sonic I slide my credit card into the slot on the menu thing. There is no opportunity to tip on the credit card slip, and many times I don't have adequate cash (or small enough bills) to tip. If Sonic wanted you to tip, they would give the ability to add a tip on your card.
Also, as a former waiter I appreciate the sentiment of everyone on here about tipping, but to equate what happens at Sonic to what happens in a sit-down restaurant is a little off, in my opinion. A waiter in a restaurant takes your order, keeps your drinks filled, brings other items you might need, checks on you while you eat your meal and addresses any problems with your meal. A carhop, simply brings you your food. It seems silly to distinguish it from McDonalds. The only difference is that the carhops walks through a door. In many instances the distance is the same as if they had walked it to you at a drive through window.
If you sit in your car and eat your meal and request other things from the carhop (which I have never done), or if the carhop goes above and beyond, then yes you should tip, but otherwise, if you don't tip at McDonald's then I see no reason to tip at Sonic.
As always, just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina