Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM

257 posts, read 328,426 times

Advertisements

I didn't read the earlier posts in this thread, but now I see what the guy was saying. He was saying that if all of the towns in the Charleston area were to be consolidated into a single city, it would be about the size of the city of Raleigh. But Raleigh's urban area would still be larger, especially since the separate city of Cary, which is over 100,000 people by itself, is included in Raleigh's urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 AM

16 posts, read 20,483 times
Default CSA population

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scott Little View Post
Reasoning here is a bit flawed. To say that all incorporated cities around Chareston would give Charleston a population close to Raleigh ignores the fact that Raleigh is contiguous with Cary (130,000) and in a county of over 900,000 people and a CSA with Durham and Chapel Hill. Same with Columbia or Greenville's comparison to Greensboro, which is contiguous to High Point and in a CSA with Winston-Salem. These urban area in NC are much larger
Raleigh is a lot like Charlotte, but often still gets treated like a mid-sized city. Raleigh-Durham CSA is close to 2 million. I will say that South Carolina's cities are very misleading when it comes to population due to strict annexation laws. Greensboro, High-Point and Winston-Salem would have a much larger CSA, but separate them, these cities are no larger than SC three cities. Two of NC cities Greensboro and Winston-Salem are about equivalent in size to Greenville, Charleston, Columbia, High-Point is a little smaller. Greenville's CSA has two other citiens that do not equate at all. Greenville compensating and pulling the CSA 1.3 million by itself while the Triad cities are cohesive in size to make up 1.6 million. Columbia and Charleston have no major cities that would compensate for their areas. North Charleston is part of Charleston but both are almost the same. If there was no annexation laws SC cities will have the same population as NC triad cities.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 AM

8,260 posts, read 13,407,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Raleigh is a lot like Charlotte, but often still gets treated like a mid-sized city. Raleigh-Durham CSA is close to 2 million. I will say that South Carolina's cities are very misleading when it comes to population due to strict annexation laws. Greensboro, High-Point and Winston-Salem would have a much larger CSA, but separate them, these cities are no larger than SC three cities. Two of NC cities Greensboro and Winston-Salem are about equivalent in size to Greenville, Charleston, Columbia, High-Point is a little smaller. Greenville's CSA has two other citiens that do not equate at all. Greenville compensating and pulling the CSA 1.3 million by itself while the Triad cities are cohesive in size to make up 1.6 million. Columbia and Charleston have no major cities that would compensate for their areas. North Charleston is part of Charleston but both are almost the same. If there was no annexation laws SC cities will have the same population as NC triad cities.

I wonder what made NC more liberal when it comes to annexation versus SC? I suspect that most SC residents are anti-city in terms of they dont want to live in a "city" or "town" because of the fear of more taxes or regulation on what one can do with ones property? Many towns and cities in SC force homeowners into their corporate limits by raising water and sewer rates for those outside of the limits and or lure them in for improved public services and public safety. Whats weird is many SC Counties are urban now Richland, Charleston, Greenville.. atleast around the central cities.. but people are still afraid/against annexation.. while in NC I guess they dont have a choice. It just seems strange that NC is more liberal than SC when it comes to that.. though there are some inherent benefits to being in a town/city.

I also believe that politics plays a huge role..since most cities in SC seem to lean Democrat while their suburbs are more Republican.. which may influence some in their line of thinking in terms of what or who they feel will represent them.....

Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 AM

314 posts, read 475,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder what made NC more liberal when it comes to annexation versus SC? I suspect that most SC residents are anti-city in terms of they dont want to live in a "city" or "town" because of the fear of more taxes or regulation on what one can do with ones property? Many towns and cities in SC force homeowners into their corporate limits by raising water and sewer rates for those outside of the limits and or lure them in for improved public services and public safety. Whats weird is many SC Counties are urban now Richland, Charleston, Greenville.. atleast around the central cities.. but people are still afraid/against annexation.. while in NC I guess they dont have a choice. It just seems strange that NC is more liberal than SC when it comes to that.. though there are some inherent benefits to being in a town/city.

I also believe that politics plays a huge role..since most cities in SC seem to lean Democrat while their suburbs are more Republican.. which may influence some in their line of thinking in terms of what or who they feel will represent them.....

Yes South Carolina cities are more liberal than that of the areas that surround the cities. Prime example in Florence this past year there was a change in fire protection where the county wanted to set up one unified fire district instead of having multiple districts for the different towns across the county. Now that a majority of the county is one fire district minus the West Florence Fire district that's a whole story of it's own. Many people who were upset about the unified fire district wants to now be part of the City of Florence. It will be very interesting to see the new population numbers.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,471,744 times
I know 2014 Estimates dont come till the Spring, but anybody got an idea on what these cities could be looking at? SC's growth is getting more and more explosive each year.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM

12,966 posts, read 18,821,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I know 2014 Estimates dont come till the Spring, but anybody got an idea on what these cities could be looking at? SC's growth is getting more and more explosive each year.
County and MSA figures will be released in March and municipality figures in May.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:25 PM

8,260 posts, read 13,407,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
Yes South Carolina cities are more liberal than that of the areas that surround the cities. Prime example in Florence this past year there was a change in fire protection where the county wanted to set up one unified fire district instead of having multiple districts for the different towns across the county. Now that a majority of the county is one fire district minus the West Florence Fire district that's a whole story of it's own. Many people who were upset about the unified fire district wants to now be part of the City of Florence. It will be very interesting to see the new population numbers.

Really? I wonder why? Is it cheaper (rates/fire insurance) than the County's unified rate? I am afraid to ask why in the world West Florence has its own fire district... Seems like many of these districts were set up in the manner like the Gangs of New York.. All these little fire companies had there own little fiefdoms and were funded by the taxes collected from their services areas and if you didnt pay they would let your property burn to the ground while physically fighting neighboring fire companies that tried to get involved.. Kind of like the township model in many northern communities where a district may include several small towns/communities..... Today, I guess that is less practical or economical to do?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 PM

314 posts, read 475,791 times
Quote:
Really? I wonder why? Is it cheaper (rates/fire insurance) than the County's unified rate? I am afraid to ask why in the world West Florence has its own fire district... Seems like many of these districts were set up in the manner like the Gangs of New York.. All these little fire companies had there own little fiefdoms and were funded by the taxes collected from their services areas and if you didnt pay they would let your property burn to the ground while physically fighting neighboring fire companies that tried to get involved.. Kind of like the township model in many northern communities where a district may include several small towns/communities..... Today, I guess that is less practical or economical to do?
To be honest from the outside looking in it looked to be about who carries the bigger stick. You had Senator Hugh Leatherman who was against it and the Former County Chairman, (who was voted out of his position just last week). He was for it and said everyone should pay the same tax rate whereas those who are in the West Florence tax district pay a different than everyone else in Florence County. I truly believe the reason there is a separate district is based upon the affluent neighborhood and who live in those neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,966,562 times
Quote:

With new legislation NC annexation laws have been as strict as south Carolinas for about three years now. Charlotte hasn't annexed any land since 2011. Th republicans said it was unconstitutional to involuntarily annex. So the big pushes have been infill now.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,471,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
County and MSA figures will be released in March and municipality figures in May.

...thats kind of why I asked if anyone wanted to take a guess at what the figures could look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina