Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM

13 posts, read 52,418 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am from Shanghai, China and I may go to greenville SC with a J2 visa with my husband. My husband is French and will work in Michelin there. But I am so worry about if I could really find a good job there. When I say a good job, that means I do really not expect a job like waitress..No prejustice, just if it's the only job I can find with J2, I will think over again if I need to come or not.
Here is my situation:
I got my bachelor degree in automotive engineering in a famous university in Shanghai (Tongji University). Then I studied in France specialized in Mechanic in a good engineering school with a engineer diploma.(famous engineering school in France, but I'm not sure in US..). Then I was back to Shanghai for work and till now, I've been worked in PSA (Peugeot citroen) asian for nearly 1 year(I know not very long..).

I haven't an american diploma, but I was in LA for a summer exchange program for 3 months when I was in university. My english is not perfect like someone who has passed GRE or tofel, but I do think it's sufficient for communicate..(though sometimes mixed with some french words, but I do think my english is better than my husband..lol)

My worry is that maybe it's not easy for a foreignor to find a job for 2 years there(my husband's job will normally last 2 years), and even the enterprise is interested in you, maybe they think that you are not stable enough...

I really appreciate your every comment and suggestion, all this will be really helpful and useful for me. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 AM

by the way, as I wrote really fast, please ignore my grammar mistakes..

Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,652 times
There is a large automotive industry presence in the Greenville area/Interstate 85 corridor thanks to BMW's North American Manufacturing HQ being located here. You also have the ICAR Automotive Research Center.

According to the Upstate SC Alliance (economic development org):
"Upstate South Carolina, with more than 150 automotive-related companies and a 250-acre automotive research center, is making an international name as a fast-growing region for automotive excellence."
http://www.upstatescalliance.com/pages/index/target_audiences/automotive (broken link)

You may know all of this already since your husband is coming to work for Michelin, but since you said you have an automotive engineering background there is the potential for opportunities for you here. And there are many foreign-born professionals working in industry here.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot innovator82. It's really glad to see your reply.

I've known there are lots of enterprises there but what I worried most is just if it's very difficult for a foreigner who doesn't speak native language to find a job. I can communicate, but I cannot say that I speak really good english without any barrier...

Thanks anyway for your advice. By the way, do you happen to have some good websites to find the job in greenville except this one^^

Thanks again

Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 AM

I've known there are lots of enterprises there but what I worried most is just if it's very difficult for a foreigner who doesn't speak native language to find a job. I can communicate, but I cannot say that I speak really good english without any barrier...

Thanks anyway for your advice. By the way, do you happen to have some good websites to find the job in greenville except this one^^

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
There is a large automotive industry presence in the Greenville area/Interstate 85 corridor thanks to BMW's North American Manufacturing HQ being located here. You also have the ICAR Automotive Research Center.

According to the Upstate SC Alliance (economic development org):
"Upstate South Carolina, with more than 150 automotive-related companies and a 250-acre automotive research center, is making an international name as a fast-growing region for automotive excellence."
Automotive Manufacturing in the SC Upstate | Upstate SC Alliance (http://www.upstatescalliance.com/pages/index/target_audiences/automotive - broken link)

You may know all of this already since your husband is coming to work for Michelin, but since you said you have an automotive engineering background there is the potential for opportunities for you here. And there are many foreign-born professionals working in industry here.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcinette_Min View Post

Thanks again
You shouldn't worry at all. Judging by your post, your English skills are excellent. You use terms in their proper tense like "by the way"...."do you happen"....."thanks again". All very common English that I've never heard my Chinese friends use. In reading your posts, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were a native of the US. I'd say your English skills are definitely strong. When you get here, if you are worried, I know both Furman and Greenville Tech offer English classes due to the large amount of foreign companies with employees in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: