Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 06:18 PM

53 posts, read 179,113 times

Advertisements

WE live in new Jersey and have retired. We are considering moving to SC. We have looked at Sumter. We are also considering looking at Columbia, Greensboro and Aiken S.C. We need to be near a base within about 40-60 miles. Also we need a good hospital and doctors. Can you suggest which is the best area . Our price range is from $100,000 to $175,000. The house must have at least 2 bedrooms on the first floor. Prefer a rancher. We would like at least 1600 sq feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 43,243 times
The Beaufort area has lots of homes that may fit your needs. We have two bases here (Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort and Parris Island). There are also base(s) in Savannah GA (45 min) and Charleston, SC (1hr). A lot of people come here to retire since it is so beautiful and quiet here. Let me know if you need any help. I know a great Realtor who can help you.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Being in Sumter you would be close to Shaw Air Force Base; in Columbia, Fort Jackson; and in Aiken, Fort Gordon in neighboring Augusta, GA. Greensboro doesn't have any military bases in close proximity that I'm aware of.

I'm not sure about Sumter, but being that Columbia, Aiken, and Greensboro are in midsized to large metro areas, quality healthcare shouldn't be a concern. As far as housing costs, they're all pretty inexpensive.

Aiken in particular seems to be a retirement hotspot these days.

What else are you looking for in a city in which to retire?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 PM

14 posts, read 49,556 times
Well Sumter is right at the base and the hospitals in Columbia are aprrox 50 miles away. I moved form NY 7 years ago and I love it. Let me know if you need assistance looking for homes or financing.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:39 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,392,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM125 View Post
WE live in new Jersey and have retired. We are considering moving to SC. We have looked at Sumter. We are also considering looking at Columbia, Greensboro and Aiken S.C. We need to be near a base within about 40-60 miles. Also we need a good hospital and doctors. Can you suggest which is the best area . Our price range is from $100,000 to $175,000. The house must have at least 2 bedrooms on the first floor. Prefer a rancher. We would like at least 1600 sq feet.
Are you referring to GreenVILLE? It would not be the first time someone made that mistake.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 AM

843 posts, read 2,748,717 times
And Ft. Jackson is only 45 minutes from Shaw AFB, if you needed larger/better amneties.

We moved out of Sumter a few years ago and bought our house in Dalzell (the Oakland North area, off 441). We're 4 minutes from Shaw, 15 minutes from the heart of Sumter for basic shopping (with a Food Lion/Family Dollar/Autozone/McDonalds/etc down the road about 8 minutes away), Sandhills in Columbia is 40 minutes away for better shopping/food options (and some of Two Notch) and West Cola is an hour away. Florence is also about an hour away. I-77 is 35 minutes away, I-95 is 25 minutes away, I-20 is 15'ish minutes away (so long as you don't get stuck behind a tractor on 521), and I-26 is about 45 minutes away.

In this area the houses are about 20 years old. Our house was built in 1990, is 1450sqft with 2-car garage, 3 br, 2 ba, and about .75acre for $115k (and we put another 20k in upgrades/updating). On the other side of Dalzell (the 521 side) there are newer subdivisions being constructed so you can get it more personalized. Dalzell (either side) is mostly comprised of military and law enforcement folks so the neighborhoods (and the public schools) are good and generally safe. Taxes are also cheaper in district 2 compared to district 17.

If you're really looking at the Sumter area, I would suggest checking out Dalzell.

*Edit - Also, if you're interested, Myrtle is about 90 minutes from here*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina