Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 22,548 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving for Shaw in Sept, but my wife and kids are headed that way in Aug for school. I'm trying to locate a good Realtor who's eager to put in work to find my family and I a house, any suggestions? We are also looking into to Camden area. From what i have seen and heard, its a much better place to raise a family then Sumter. We lived in a great community here, and are leaning towards to the same there if they have one. But then again, things may change once we arrive in SC.

any inputs would be great!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 AM

83 posts, read 276,366 times
Camden is much nicer, more rural, and if you like horses etc the place to go. If you live in Sumter, live near Shaw either in the Dalzell area or West of the base towards Columbia.

AVOID Cherryvale, which is an old neighborhood across from Shaw that went bad when BAH rates went up and Airmen quit living there around the same time the old residents left or passed away.

Avoid downtown Sumter, and the town of Sumter. It has nothing to recommend it. I've lived in Sumter County since 1985 and like it, but Sumter County has a variety of areas there is no reason to bother with.

I regard Shaw as a good station and have nearly two decades of service there before retiring.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,779 times
Camden Schools Camden Schools - Camden, SC | GreatSchools
Sumter schools Schools in Sumter 17 School District - Sumter, SC | GreatSchools (http://www.greatschools.org/south-carolina/sumter/Sumter-17-School-District/schools/ - broken link)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Camden crime rates:

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 05:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDMil View Post
From what i have seen and heard, its a much better place to raise a family then Sumter.
It is not that clear cut. I would consider both as options.

Camden is a small town with great potential, and very nice people, but it there just isn't much to it. You will have to drive a ways to get anywhere.

Sumter is a bigger town that looks awful "on paper", and has some rough areas. However it also has some good, affordable areas, and a few schools that IMO will be better than what you find in Camden. Alice Drive / Sumter High, or Wilson Hall, is probably going to be better than what you find in Camden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina