Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
See, you may run off others with this historic this and historic that, but that's not my reason for choosing a city. Sure Charleston is a great city, but last I checked all of these cities are growing at similar rates, and we do it without big universities, government, or tourism. Hmmm.
Seriously?

I would love for you to tell me exactly why you think Greenville is superior with some facts but all I'm getting from you is hyperbole.

Very odd that you miss how tourism, institutions of higher learning, and history don't add richness to a city. That you can dismiss how Charleston founding a historical preservation society doesn't add to the richness of our entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
My point is we do what we have to do to grow and make our city a great place, regardless of naysayers. That is to be commended.
Naysayers? What naysayers?

This makes absolutely no sense.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You keep claiming that Greenville is growing in spite of not being supported by government.........well, there are many projects that would never see the light of day without federal dollars & tax credits.
Does that equate to being the home of government, big universities, or tourism? We shouldn't be able to hold the other cities jock strap. But we keep on working behind the seems, while people like you jab. Motivation for us to work harder.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Naysayers? What naysayers?

This makes absolutely no sense.
You are one of them.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Does that equate to being the home of government, big universities, or tourism? We shouldn't be able to hold the other cities jock strap. But we keep on working behind the seems, while people like you jab. Motivation for us to work harder.
You must not be old enough to remember but BMW would have never picked the Greenville area without Governor Campbell throwing out hundreds of millions in incentives.

BMW was looking at South Carolina and two other states and our state government gave them the moon.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I'm probably older than you

Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
Do you think Greenville is superior because it lacks a university or state government? Greenville's big advantage is proximity to Charlotte and Atlanta, it says so in just about every chamber handout. Columbia and Charleston can't claim that nor can they claim a senator who funnels money into his homwtown. But, they just keep outgrowing Greenville, not bad.

For what it is worth, tourism is one of the larger industries in SC, I would not discount that in any way.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You are one of them.
I'm not a Greenville naysayer.

All I said that it was laughable to say that Greenville's downtown is superior to Charleston's downtown. You are not going to find a single person on the planet outside of Greenville that would say that Greenville's downtown is superior to Charlestons.

It's like saying a horse and carriage is faster than a porshe. It makes no sense and is illogical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Do you think Greenville is superior because it lacks a university or state government? Greenville's big advantage is proximity to Charlotte and Atlanta, it says so in just about every chamber handout. Columbia and Charleston can't claim that nor can they claim a senator who funnels money into his homwtown. But, they just keep outgrowing Greenville, not bad.

For what it is worth, tourism is one of the larger industries in SC, I would not discount that in any way.
Our biggest help is leadership. Taking a city that many people look over, and turning it into something great.

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Very odd that you miss how tourism, institutions of higher learning, and history don't add richness to a city. That you can dismiss how Charleston founding a historical preservation society doesn't add to the richness of our entire country.
We should all note the original post stated they were looking for each persons opinion. While I absolutely LOVE Charleston and think it has a great downtown, something would be seriously wrong if it didn't have a great downtown. It is kind of a given. I mean, the city is one of the most historic in the U.S., tourism is huge, it has the medical college, etc, etc.

Greenville on the other hand had no "givens". Nothing to work with other than a tiny river. Yet today, Greenville's downtown is one of the most respected in the nation with regular delegations coming to see how the city accomplished what it has accomplished. The city host Artisphere which has been ranked as a top 20 national art event. The city host the US Pro Cycling Championship which is the "Super Bowl" of cycling. The downtown features better hotel brands like Hyatt and Westin. National retailers like Anthropologie have now recognized downtown. To some, this "creation from nothing" is more impressive.....and since this thread was about opinions, those opinions are neither right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina