Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM

39 posts, read 176,591 times

Advertisements

Is there a shortage of teachers in South Carolina right now and/or will there be one in a few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,551,954 times
I'd say there is a shortage now but the question you should be asking is "are they hiring?" I think the answer is no since the state is broke and cutting funding.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,925,051 times
South Carolina doesn't spend money on education.
If you are a teacher, don't look at this state for a job.
33 percent of everyone who lives in South Carolina in 2007 did NOT
have a high school education.
So, no.
Teachers look elsewhere.
Education is not a priority in South Carolina.
This is a republican state, remember?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM

267 posts, read 1,020,720 times
I am by no means an insider, but Teachers I have spoken to don't think much of their pay. They are also non unionized. I was up in the Charlotte area at a childhood education store and a teacher was there working to make ends meet. I am pretty sure she said the pay was better there than in SC.

I am no expert, but SC is the state of last resort.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,979,415 times
Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools started the year 300+ teachers short. Classrooms had subs and the district was hiring. The pay is better in NC and Charlotte is just across the border from SC.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:59 PM

343 posts, read 1,047,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Highlander View Post
I am by no means an insider, but Teachers I have spoken to don't think much of their pay.
I don't think any teachers anywhere do.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,548,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools started the year 300+ teachers short. Classrooms had subs and the district was hiring. The pay is better in NC and Charlotte is just across the border from SC.
You know this always confused me, because they laid way more than 300 teachers last year correct?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
You know this always confused me, because they laid way more than 300 teachers last year correct?
I didn't understand that either .... they laid off so many teachers and as soon as school was out their website had posted over 250 teaching jobs!!! They have upgraded their website now so it doesn't show page after page of openings.

School started with over 300 subs!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,857,122 times
Teacher Salary Schedule - Toledo Public Schools

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd.../1112/tchr.pdf

the difference in pay from a heavily unionized district like Toledo Public in Ohio to Greenville County is about 3 grand. what does that get you? union protection and not a whole lot more.

plus Ohio's retirement system is about to be in the tank so even though SC's is not amazing i'd rather get 50% than get 0%.

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/Jobs/Docume...0Schedules.pdf

charlotte meck pays about 2 grand more than SC districts do but remember the cost of living in charlotte skyrockets once you cross state lines. NC taxes are out of control when compared to south carolina state taxes. just something to keep in mind.

nobody wins out no matter where you go. when i looked at fairfax county schools in VA the starting pay was around 45,000. great!!! sadly i couldnt find even a sub par apartment for less than 1,000 a month in rent.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
charlotte meck pays about 2 grand more than SC districts do but remember the cost of living in charlotte skyrockets once you cross state lines. NC taxes are out of control when compared to south carolina state taxes. just something to keep in mind.
Not really ... many, many, many, many, people work in Charlotte and live in York County! Fort Mill, Lake Wylie, Clover, Indian Land, Lancaster all have Charlotte commuters. Charlotte Area Transit even has pick-up locations in York County Monday thru Friday round trip.

As close as we are to Charlotte people can work there and enjoy the benefits of lower property taxes, lower gasoline prices and all the other benefits of living in SC. As far as payroll taxes, I worked in Charlotte and had to file NC State taxes. All South Carolina required was a copy of the NC filing. Just so somebody was receiving their pound of flesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina