Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 21,869 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I plan on relocating in a couple years. We are from Columbus, OH and need a change! But we can't even narrow it down yet to which state we'd like to move to... Georgia or North or South Carolina. I'm a nurse and he is in finance. We also hate cold winters and snow! No kids so not worried about schools or anything yet. Anyone have any suggestions to help us narrow it down to at least one state or city?!?!

Thanks!!!!

Em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekallen View Post
Hey all,

My boyfriend and I plan on relocating in a couple years. We are from Columbus, OH and need a change! But we can't even narrow it down yet to which state we'd like to move to... Georgia or North or South Carolina. I'm a nurse and he is in finance. We also hate cold winters and snow! No kids so not worried about schools or anything yet. Anyone have any suggestions to help us narrow it down to at least one state or city?!?!

Thanks!!!!

Em
Knowing what I have learned after my relocation from NYC to SC a few years ago. My advice for you would be that when deciding which state/city to relocate to you should do a thorough investigation. After a lay off found it very difficult to find a decent paying office job here in SC for someone like me who works sitting in an office at a computer all day long. In other words have a white collar resume and found myself looking for work in a blue collar state/city!

As a nurse you will probably have no difficulty finding work in a hospital located in any of the three states that you mentioned but depending on which state/city you choose finding a decent paying office job for your boyfriend in finance may be difficult. Try to research and find out whether the area you are interested in moving to is progressive or not when it comes to things like:

Offering diverse employment opportunities
Pay scale

Another piece of advice that I would like to give you is not to rush into commiting to something like a home purchase. Rent an apartment for a while until you determine whether you like the area, at least then if things do not work out you can just pack up and move someplace else. All three are lovely states and offer nice weather and natural beauty so good luck.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,987 times
All I can say is: do your homework, and do it thoroughly. We came here (right outside of Columbia SC) 8 months ago and we're already planning to move back to NJ. My husband is a regular Joe who works blue-collar jobs, and he hasn't been able to find work since we moved here. I'm not impressed with anything here, except the weather and the sweet tea.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
All I can say is: do your homework, and do it thoroughly. We came here (right outside of Columbia SC) 8 months ago and we're already planning to move back to NJ. My husband is a regular Joe who works blue-collar jobs, and he hasn't been able to find work since we moved here. I'm not impressed with anything here, except the weather and the sweet tea.
Ouch. You guys really moved at the wrong time. Had it been any other time, your husband probably would have found work relatively quickly.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,546 times
My advice before moving anywhere is to make sure you have a JOB lined up.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekallen View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!!!!

Em
I lived in NC and SC. SC hands down.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:36 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Ouch. You guys really moved at the wrong time. Had it been any other time, your husband probably would have found work relatively quickly.

Yeah, well my "best friend" told us her BF could probably pull some strings to get him a job. She gave us the rose-colored-glasses version of SC, and once we got here, nothing happened. She left us to sink or swim.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Yeah, well my "best friend" told us her BF could probably pull some strings to get him a job. She gave us the rose-colored-glasses version of SC, and once we got here, nothing happened. She left us to sink or swim.
I can definitely relate to what you are saying. Had some people that cheered me on too......all I heard was how I should leave the high costs associated with living in the northeast and head south. Well the low cost housing and nice weather definitely worked out nicely. However the job opportunities here in SC have been a big disappointment. The illusion of the grass looking greener on the other side is definitely true........I have now realized that all the years I was living in NYC I took what that city had to offer for granted.

Having beautiful low cost housing is great but homes, cars and decent paying jobs all go hand in hand, can not have one without the others!!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I can definitely relate to what you are saying. Had some people that cheered me on too......all I heard was how I should leave the high costs associated with living in the northeast and head south. Well the low cost housing and nice weather definitely worked out nicely. However the job opportunities here in SC have been a big disappointment. The illusion of the grass looking greener on the other side is definitely true........I have now realized that all the years I was living in NYC I took what that city had to offer for granted.

Having beautiful low cost housing is great but homes, cars and decent paying jobs all go hand in hand, can not have one without the others!!
Coming from the guy who has a large house and a good job. Should I post the pics you took of your house here in Greenville that you posted on the New York forum? I love games New York Born. Do you want to play one?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Coming from the guy who has a large house and a good job. Should I post the pics you took of your house here in Greenville that you posted on the New York forum? I love games New York Born. Do you want to play one?
Please post my beautiful pictures they serve to validate what I have said on here!! Beautiful homes and no jobs to pay for theses homes. By the way the next time you decide to try and call someone out get your facts together.......I am a woman not a guy and you will notice where I mentioned my lay off and having a difficult time finding a decent paying job in SC to replace it. SC offers beautiful living when people are retired but offers little for those that are still working and want to make some money.

I know that you are a native of SC and want to defend your state and as you mentioned I have stood up for SC many times on the NYC forum when people have said negative things. However when those on the NYC forum bring up the topic of jobs and pay scales in SC that is where I can not defend it any longer. Greenville, SC is sitting right in the middle of Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC progress but for some strange reason is no where near as progressive. SC as a whole is a dumping ground for low paying back breaking labor jobs and it lags behind most states when it comes to job opportunities and offering people a living wage that they can survive on. Then again you are a 20 something year old college kid who is still living at home on your parents wallet so you have no idea what it is like to be an adult living on your own with bills! When your parents stop changing your diapers then you can get on here and have a discussion with adults!

Now I have no more time to play with children.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 09-13-2009 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina