Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM

315 posts, read 623,381 times

Advertisements

2010 Impact of Tourism on the Charleston Economy by Bing Pan on Prezi

Just to expand the conversation on Charleston and the coastal cities effects on the state.......10% of all jobs in SC are tourist related (S.C. study says tourism's impact greater than ever | Story Archive | islandpacket.com | beaufortgazette.com)

- Charleston saw over 4.2 million tourists in 2010. Meaning, if you do the math and assume each tourist spends a weekend, an average weekend in Charleston would have 84,000 extra people in town on top of the city's residential population. Spring and summer months would be far above that average, winter below, so spring/summer weekends may be 150,000 more people than normal (which makes traffic really suck haha)

- Myrtle Beach, in comparison, sees 14.5 million tourists in the summer months, usually 1 week stays, meaning in the 3 summer months, an average week will see about 1,000,000 more people in Myrtle Beach! The resident metro area population is about 330,000 in comparison. Which is also great for Charleston, as countless numbers of those Myrtle Beach tourists like to take the 1.5 hour trip for a day to Charleston while they're in town. About 3,000,000 people visit Hilton Head every year as well, just South of Charleston.

Just wanted to throw a thread to thank all the tourists out there who are often in town and for spending their time and money down here with us!!! The rich folk downtown are trying to file a lawsuit to prevent the cruise ships from coming to port, but we love all of you and keep on coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM

194 posts, read 748,504 times
Tourism has certainly benefited coastal SC and anyone that visits Myrtle Beach without making their way to Charleston for the day is missing IMHO the best destination in our state. I love my visits to Charleston and it is at the top of my list for a short getaway.

The Tourism Growth Initiative along the Grand Strand also has good data and continues to show positive results.

Just cruised out of Charleston and while I have seen reports of trying to stop the cruise ships from coming into the port I have also been told there are plans to build a new cruise terminal and create another park with green space. I would imagine many cruisers spend a day or two in town before or after their trips which would be an added benefit.

I too am thankful for all our tourist as many of them become residents and without them our area would not have all the great attractions that the locals get to appreciate year round.

Thanks for sharing Seabass08!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina