Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,394 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are interested in moving to South Carolina from Miami (Kendall). We have been here 8 years and decided we made a mistake. Charleston is our plan, but we looked at a map and Columbia looks more centrally located for trips to the mountains and larger cities.

Can anybody compare the two? Which is better.

A little about us.
We are late 50's and retired, empty nesters, active individuals who like to do almost anything outdoors. We like good restaurants and eat out almost every night. We like quality shopping. We like art events. We are comfortable with our finances as long as we can get a quality home for under 300,000.

We've been to Charleston and love it. It reminds us of Florida, but without all the traffic and rude attitudes. We have driven through Columbia but never stopped. We hear crime is bad in Columbia and Columbia had gotten a thumbs down from people we talked to.

Charleston or Columbia. Which is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennamove View Post
Hello. My husband and I are interested in moving to South Carolina from Miami (Kendall). We have been here 8 years and decided we made a mistake. Charleston is our plan, but we looked at a map and Columbia looks more centrally located for trips to the mountains and larger cities.

A little about us.
We are late 50's and retired, empty nesters, active individuals who like to do almost anything outdoors. We like good restaurants and eat out almost every night. We like quality shopping. We like art events. We are comfortable with our finances as long as we can get a quality home for under 300,000.

We've been to Charleston and love it. It reminds us of Florida, but without all the traffic and rude attitudes. We have driven through Columbia but never stopped. We hear crime is bad in Columbia and Columbia had gotten a thumbs down from people we talked to.

Charleston without a doubt.

Charleston reviews (http://chrisdeloach.com/ratings.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,917 times
What's more important, the mountains or the ocean?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
If dining, shopping, and the arts are more important to you than a centralized location, then go with Charleston. If vice versa, go with Columbia.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
I'm staying out of this.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm staying out of this.
yeah wise choice, it almost begs to invite more "discussions" like every other "vs" thread on here. Heck I watch CSI Miami so i know there's crime down there as well lol

seriously if the OP is used to and enjoys the water and beach and already likes Charleston then that spot makes sense. It only adds a couple hour drive towards the mountains over Columbia.
But if a change of scenery is desired and the central location is more useful then give it a shot. But in my 3 years in SC i dont see many comparisons between these 2 cities; both have different things to offer.

And if you are already retired and have flexibility then stay a week or two in each location, and venture out to try different sights.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM

117 posts, read 144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennamove View Post

A little about us.

If you want a true opinion of the attributes of each city, I would suggest asking questions without pre-conceived notions. Not sure where you are getting that crime is bad in Columbia and gotten thumbs down. First, crime is NOT bad in Columbia. Are there incidents, sure. But, crime has been dropping for a few years and the city actually has lower probabilities of crime than other cities. There are some upstate cities that have been ranked as the most dangerous in the country, is that what you are reading?

In the time our family has been in Columbia, we have loved it. The people are great and have a great attitude towards the city and are very very welcoming.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm staying out of this.
I will if you will, but we cannot allow things like stupidness, inexperience, and/or agenda, stand in our way of correcting such.

We can agree that SC might well be a much better living place then many, many other places.....some of which I have lived in.....LOL

Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,050 times
I like them both for different reasons. Charleston has the beaches and history, of course. Columbia has a neat college-town atmosphere in its favor, plus it is definitely more centrally-located (I love Charleston, but it can feel isolated at times). Plus, you can get more house for your money in Columbia.

Visit them both and make an informed decision. It's your life you're talking about, don't just listen to a bunch of yahoo's on an internet message board!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,207 times
If what appeals to you about Columbia is that it's closer to the mountains and larger cities (I assume you mean Charlotte and Atlanta?), then why not Greenville for this?

Honestly you could be happy in either Charleston, Columbia, or Greenville based on what it seems like you are looking for. If you are in love with Charleston and you can make that happen, then that might be your best bet. But if you're retired then y'all should come spend a few weeks here exploring all three areas to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina