Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:24 PM

13 posts, read 118,468 times

Advertisements

Is all this talk of the schools being horrible, the bias towards republicans, the poor, the angst towards "yankees", the prejudice against people who don't go to church everyday and the crime really that bad? If we move to SC, will we be sorry when in 2 years from now pre-school will be on the forefront of our minds? Will I have to relocate in 3 years to send my children to school because the lack of education (let alone good education) will infultrate into our basic social fiber and deteriorate the area?

It sounds as if (from reading numerous posts in this forum) that the majority of SC is poor and has poor schools with a bunch of new communities that the real estate agents has labeled as "desirable" in an effort to entice younger "yankee" couples to buy as they don't want to live in one of the over-inflated value states like NY, NJ, or MA any longer and can't afford to buy a house with exhorbitant taxes.

We understand that there is no such thing as a perfect area with no crime.... but SC 'seemed' like it was a place where a couple could find a "HOME" with some land to put a little white picket fence, raise some kids, maybe have a puppy and be able to have a quality of life in which they could make some friends, attend a barbeque or two and enjoy their lives while growing old. We are hoping that vision still holds some truth....

Have we been reading some jaded South Carolinians posts? If this is the case... anyone have any other places in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 118,468 times
Question You are all scaring us...

Is all this talk of the schools being horrible, the bias towards republicans, the poor, the angst towards "yankees", the prejudice against people who don't go to church everyday and the crime really that bad? If we move to SC, will we be sorry when in 2 years from now pre-school will be on the forefront of our minds? Will I have to relocate in 3 years to send my children to school because the lack of education (let alone good education) will infultrate into our basic social fiber and deteriorate the area? Will we want to move in 6 months because we don't attend church on a weekly basis and we are "shunned" from the community?

It sounds as if (from reading numerous posts in this forum) that the majority of SC is poor and has poor schools with a bunch of new communities that the real estate agents has labeled as "desirable" in an effort to entice younger "yankee" couples to buy as they don't want to live in one of the over-inflated value states like NY, NJ, or MA any longer and can't afford to buy a house with exhorbitant taxes.

We understand that there is no such thing as a perfect area with no crime.... but SC 'seemed' like it was a place where a couple could find a "HOME" with some land to put a little white picket fence, raise some kids, maybe have a puppy and be able to have a quality of life in which they could make some friends, attend a barbeque or two and enjoy their lives while growing old. We are hoping that vision still holds some truth....

Have we been reading some jaded South Carolinians posts? If this is the case... anyone have any other places in mind?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:38 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsynner View Post
Is all this talk of the schools being horrible, the bias towards republicans, the poor, the angst towards "yankees", the prejudice against people who don't go to church everyday and the crime really that bad? If we move to SC, will we be sorry when in 2 years from now pre-school will be on the forefront of our minds? Will I have to relocate in 3 years to send my children to school because the lack of education (let alone good education) will infultrate into our basic social fiber and deteriorate the area? Will we want to move in 6 months because we don't attend church on a weekly basis and we are "shunned" from the community?

You can find a home with some land, or some land to build your home. Like any state, schools will vary from county to county. There is some awesome BBQ to be found. The quality of life is good here.

Disclaimer: I am not a real estate agent. I do not attend any church. I am quite happy here.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,824 times
I've lived in several different states (and moving to SC in a few years), and I find most places today are more alike than different. Parents need to know that the BEST schools are useless without parental involvement every step of the way. There are some parents who expect the school system to raise their children, and then are shocked when their child grows up to be a hoodlum. I'm sure every state has good and bad; I believe it starts at home. As for the differences in cultures, people have to be flexible and try to fit in, rather than try to change things to the way the want. I even tend to pick up a local accent after living in an area for a while. It's interesting to note that our entire week spent driving around the Upstate, people were very friendly, and on the country roads, every one in their yards would wave. When was the last time you saw that in one of the more 'desireable' states? My only fear is that SC will get so diluted by outsiders who impose their own culture that the 'real' SC will be lost.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
Yes and no. Yes the state has some poor areas no doubt. The schools have good and bad districts, the bad ones seem to correlate with the poorer areas. The Yankee issue, mostly over exaggerated in my opinion. My Yankee husband from PA has lived here 14 years and has never had a problem. His job requires him to deal with many people on a daily basis. What people actually find out is they have more in common with each other than they think. His best friends are 100% southern born and bred. It might help if you throw in a "y'all" every now and then......j/k.

Never once in my 14 years of living between NC and SC have I ever been asked about church or religion. Ever. I think people make a bigger issue out of this more than it really is. Crime? Yes there are some bad parts. You find out where the bad parts are and you stay away from them, just like anywhere else.

The problem with trying to base a decision on where to live by reading a forum such as this, is you are going to get a lot of conflicting opinions. One minute you're reading about how wonderful it is, the next minute you are reading horror stories. You've got to take it all with a grain of salt and on an individual basis. Everyone has different needs, wants and tolerances. This forum can be helpful, it can also make you a confused mess. Don't rule out a place based on internet chatter, go check it out for yourself, you could be passing up a great opportunity.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsynner View Post
Is all this talk of the schools being horrible, the bias towards republicans, the poor, the angst towards "yankees", the prejudice against people who don't go to church everyday and the crime really that bad? If we move to SC, will we be sorry when in 2 years from now pre-school will be on the forefront of our minds? Will I have to relocate in 3 years to send my children to school because the lack of education (let alone good education) will infultrate into our basic social fiber and deteriorate the area?

Again, as another poster put it so well, it's what you put into it. Ones perception of something compared to another can be totally different. There are thousands that have moved to SC and love it, and then there are others that have moved and hate it. It's really about who you are and what you need.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
My only fear is that SC will get so diluted by outsiders who impose their own culture that the 'real' SC will be lost.
Mine too, flgargoyle, mine too word is out on SC and that's to bad.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
It's interesting to note that our entire week spent driving around the Upstate, people were very friendly, and on the country roads, every one in their yards would wave. When was the last time you saw that in one of the more 'desireable' states? My only fear is that SC will get so diluted by outsiders who impose their own culture that the 'real' SC will be lost.
I noticed that too when on my second trip to North Myrtle Beach. We actually went up the coast to Little River Inlet to get on a big, fast boat to go tour the Strand, play in the waves and see dolphins. The boat captain was telling us about the town and paused, interrupting himself to mention "...Oh, and wave to people as we pass by; you don't want to be rude..." That's the exact opposite of what life's like where I'm from, so it didn't take long for me to fall in love with the Carolinas.

Oh, about barbeque, I read something in an NC tourbook, probably also applies to SC too, that in NC the term "barbeque" means only the actual meat and it means it's been prepared a paritcular way. Usually it's pork and has been slow cooked for hours, probably over a 'pit' with charcoal. In NC BBQ is typically hickory smoked, so it smells kind of like bacon. It also went on to say that BBQ in the South is one of the closest things the U.S. has in regional cuisine comparable to the different wine regions and styles in France. You'll find restaurants specializing in BBQ all over the state. (something we don't have here) People still cook hotdogs and hamburgers in there backyard with propane, but I believe what they would cook them on is a "grill." Just like in France, "Champagne" means the wine came from the "Champagne region" of France.

I hope I haven't annoyed you. Didn't intend to nitpick. Just thought you might be interested in some of the local area culture.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:32 PM

89 posts, read 388,004 times
I don't go too church never have had a problem. And I live on a very large piece of land and the children that are not my children. But the children that I know go too great school.

(It is not only the place that you send your child too learn but how you raise them that makes a person)

The people are fine, you will always fine an A hole every now and then but where can't you? SC is not that bad yes it is a lot different then the North and I have lived here on and off for about 11yrs now.

I can't say I ever been mug or any thing like that. No matter where you live your life is going too be like how you make it. And crap happens every where no matter where you live. If you want too move some place visit it!

The South and the North need too get over them self!

It is all a place too live and it is only bad if you make it bad yourself. And IM a yank and a Red as well!

I have lived in both areas long enough too tell that no matter where you live you are who you are, and you live where you chose. Life is too shot to blame others for your problems or your problem area! You have the power too change it.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 AM

55 posts, read 172,808 times
LOL of course there are some poor areas...some not so good schools etc etc etc......You mean you dont have any in your home state ? Too many people moving into the beautiful gracious Carolinas ...... I did many years ago from the UK and have never regretted a a moment of it. we just dont the people who move here trying to change it...we love it just the way it is .My sis in law choose NYC area when she came to the states ...not my cup of tea thanks, but obviously suits her. We Carolinians welcome everyone who wants to assimilate, and not tell us we did it this way where I come from. by the way I dont attend any church here never did, and didnt make any difference (been here since 1960) and consider myself a Carolinian 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina