Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 AM

17 posts, read 107,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdiaz View Post
I live in Lancaster, PA and my husband and I are looking into relocating to Bluffton, S.C., but after reading all these issues I think we are going to shy away from any property the has anything to do with HOA.
Good luck finding a neighborhood in Bluffton with no POA, they all have them. Your only option is to purchase outside of a neighborhood, on a street. Its a tough realization, but if you want to live in Bluffton....find the least intrusive POA you can live with then hope they don't resort to 'the good-ole boy mentality' and keep the same board members for 5+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
The first day I moved into my house I had the dish put up on the roof, never got permission. Someone from the HOA said something to me after it was put up. I told the HOA person they were free to go up on the roof and take it down themselves, but if they did they would be tresspassing on my property and I would have to take steps to stop them. Never heard a peep out of them, then I received a bill in the mail for something I shouldn't have done. I went over to the house of the HOA president, gave him his bill and a business card with my attorney's name on it told him to talk to the attorney, if I get another bill I will sue the HOA and him personally for harassment. That shut him up. Someone parked on the street overnight to close to my property, at 2am went out with an ice pick, the next morning I heard a tow truck towing the car away (amazing how 4 flattened tires can happen) No one has bothered me since, stick up for yourself.
So, you are bragging about not only being the neighborhood bully, but also about breaking the terms of the HOA contract you signed when you moved into the neighborhood, and out right breaking the law by inflicting damage someone else's property. And you do this on a public forum as well. Stay classy!

If you don't like living in a HOA governed community and dealing with their capricious nonsense then don't buy in one. Seems much better to live somewhere governed by actual property maintenance laws.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,211 times
No, I follow my HOA rules. Its the HOA that was the bully. When I signed for my house I was told that I didn't need permission to put a satellite dish, I am not going to be intimidated by the HOA that told me one thing and tried to do another, then have the nerve to try and sue me forget it pal. The HOA sent me a bill because they said I didn't pick up after my pet dog....um I don't have a pet dog. I tried to tell the HOA that, the president didn't want to hear it and set the bill was legit.

It has nothing to do with class....its common sense.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
No, I follow my HOA rules. Its the HOA that was the bully. When I signed for my house I was told that I didn't need permission to put a satellite dish, I am not going to be intimidated by the HOA that told me one thing and tried to do another, then have the nerve to try and sue me forget it pal. The HOA sent me a bill because they said I didn't pick up after my pet dog....um I don't have a pet dog. I tried to tell the HOA that, the president didn't want to hear it and set the bill was legit.
You didn't explain that in your other post so it cast you in a bad light. My apologies for call you a bully. Now about those deflated tires...

Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,074 times
They're all a bunch of savage jerks. I mean "savage" in a bad way. Everything these HOAs have is set up for Epic Failure. The way the run it is similar to a communist regime. I mean wake up HOA people...this is America. Oh well...you can't please everyone.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 625 times
It is disheartening that a new home owner comes into an established HOA community with such a bad attitude.HOA Board members volunteer their time to do the things to help a community, maintain and better the amenities and home values. Do they sometimes make questionable decisions? Of course they are not perfect. They are elected by HOA members and if they are hurting the HOA there are remedies to remove them. Enforcing bi-laws is their job. Harassing new homeowners is not. If the new homeowner makes legal threats that are baseless, the board needs to defend the president. If the fine was imposed for failure to pick up dog poop and the new homeowner doesn’t have a dog or have guest that bring their dog, the board President should apologize and cool things down. Everyone wins if cooler heads prevail. If the HOA regulations require permits for direct tv satellites and the homeowner misunderstood the rules, send him a copy of the section of the rules that require a permit and send a notice that he should get a permit and have it approved. The barn door is open, but the cows can easily be brought back into the barn and a retroactive approval can be given with a reminder that it is in lieu of impossing a fine. There are two sides to every story and the truth. Did the HOA president bully and harrass the new homeowner? Or did the homeowner have his pride and ego hurt by the board President because he was being reminded that bi-laws need to followed?

Last edited by Mlpinpa; 08-04-2018 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Spelling and context

Old 08-09-2018, 07:00 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlpinpa View Post
It is disheartening that a new home owner comes into an established HOA community with such a bad attitude.HOA Board members volunteer their time to do the things to help a community, maintain and better the amenities and home values. Do they sometimes make questionable decisions? Of course they are not perfect. They are elected by HOA members and if they are hurting the HOA there are remedies to remove them. Enforcing bi-laws is their job. Harassing new homeowners is not. If the new homeowner makes legal threats that are baseless, the board needs to defend the president. If the fine was imposed for failure to pick up dog poop and the new homeowner doesn’t have a dog or have guest that bring their dog, the board President should apologize and cool things down. Everyone wins if cooler heads prevail. If the HOA regulations require permits for direct tv satellites and the homeowner misunderstood the rules, send him a copy of the section of the rules that require a permit and send a notice that he should get a permit and have it approved. The barn door is open, but the cows can easily be brought back into the barn and a retroactive approval can be given with a reminder that it is in lieu of impossing a fine. There are two sides to every story and the truth. Did the HOA president bully and harrass the new homeowner? Or did the homeowner have his pride and ego hurt by the board President because he was being reminded that bi-laws need to followed?
There's a difference between hoa volunteers and hoa corporations that manage 100 plus neighborhoods and are in it strictly for the money. What we have in my neigborhood is the volunteers, our HOA president is a super nice guy and very easy to work with, the hoa company is kind of like the 4th Reich and will fine you for anything with no common sense or decency to give you a notice ahead of time. I cannot tell you all of the hoa rules and regulations, I read a description of my covenants and restrictions as well as the hoa rules and about 5% of that sunk in.

I feel that in a lot of neighborhoods, you will have a great bunch of local volunteers who get a bad rap because of the money grabbers that work behind the scenes.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
There's a difference between hoa volunteers and hoa corporations that manage 100 plus neighborhoods and are in it strictly for the money. What we have in my neigborhood is the volunteers, our HOA president is a super nice guy and very easy to work with, the hoa company is kind of like the 4th Reich and will fine you for anything with no common sense or decency to give you a notice ahead of time. I cannot tell you all of the hoa rules and regulations, I read a description of my covenants and restrictions as well as the hoa rules and about 5% of that sunk in.

I feel that in a lot of neighborhoods, you will have a great bunch of local volunteers who get a bad rap because of the money grabbers that work behind the scenes.
The BOD, if an owner controlled HOA, hire the management company (MC) thus they can control how it operates.

One thing we wanted was for our MC was to play the heavy which they were willing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina