Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 02:54 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,963,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayann0513 View Post
lets not fall into the "bigoted southerner" stereotype, ok?

One of the things I don't like about SC is the lack of cultural diversity. I'm from the south, but a much larger state with way more diversity. Watching everyone blend their culture with the traditional southern experience is a thing of beauty.

That said, anyone specifically looking for any kind of diversity should skip SC.
You're from Texas which isn't much at all like the rest of the south, specifically Houston, which isn't much like the rest of Texas.
In the Texas I grew up in, "diversity" meant you were either white or Mexican.
You're basically just advocating moving to any large city anywhere in America. There's not much diversity in rural Minnesota or New Hampshire either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 AM

20 posts, read 19,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Most of the time when people come to the South we sorta expect them to adopt our culture.
Yeah - I don't really think that's how most people think. I appreciate other cultures and diversity. A lot of things we have in the south today actually come from other cultures so without them we wouldn't have things like BMW, Michelin etc!

@NJMom please disregard this comment. We will accept you just the way you are!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,710,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clhughey View Post
Yeah - I don't really think that's how most people think. I appreciate other cultures and diversity. A lot of things we have in the south today actually come from other cultures so without them we wouldn't have things like BMW, Michelin etc!

@NJMom please disregard this comment. We will accept you just the way you are!
I'm amazed that you think you speak for the multitudes. Most of the native SC folks I know aren't very receptive to North Easterners.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 AM

4,801 posts, read 2,808,538 times
Default A couple to look at

See South Carolina Hispanic and Latino Resources - There's probably something similar for Portuguese culture/speakers. The Mid-Atlantic US states have grown in Hispanic numbers over the last 15-20 years - mostly Central Americans, as I recall.

The link shows a fair number of contacts & organizations - maybe someplace to volunteer or even work, if you want to keep in touch with the languages/cultures?

Best of luck!

Old 10-18-2016, 02:04 PM

910 posts, read 2,295,409 times
I know the OP asked a while back and was interested in being near the coast (but why when hurricanes love it there too!) but others with a similar interest but without a specific place might be reading this so my post may be helpful to them.

When I moved to Greenville from S. FL in '10 I found that there's quite a few Hispanics there, even foods I couldn't find at first started being more common later on in the Latin groceries stores that I got to know. I don't know about Brazilians though, but I'm sure there's some there too but the question can more specifically be asked in each area's forum. Personally, it wasn't a pre-requisite for me to mingle with other Hispanics because I've lived in the states for many years mostly in white or mixed communities, but I do understand that it can be helpful to others during the adaptation process.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 682 times
I'm Portuguese living in Myrtle beach South carolina.. love it...nice area

Old 03-08-2019, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 682 times
Portuguese here living in myrtle beach SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina