Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 AM

31 posts, read 49,715 times

Advertisements

With the annexing and rapid industry growth on the Lowcountry, it's only a matter of time. Looking at percentages and raw numbers of population growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 07:11 AM

8,260 posts, read 13,405,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. North Charleston View Post
With the annexing and rapid industry growth on the Lowcountry, it's only a matter of time. Looking at percentages and raw numbers of population growth.

I knew that North Charleston was rapidly annexing but I didnt know that Charleston was doing the same? I guess it has to in order to keep an open line for tax base (developable land) and not to be ringed in by North Charleston and Mt. Pleasant which both could choke the city off from the mainland. I remember that James Island attempted at one time to incorporate but failed.. All the Cities down there were fearful of the islands incorporating and siphoning off lucrative tax base. They may have been successful and thwarting those efforts now since I dont believe SC Law wont allow a town/city to incorporate within a certain distance of an existing town/city...

If North Charleston becomes the largest city in the State SC will probably be one of the only States to have a suburb as its largest city... No offense.. just saying...

Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I knew that North Charleston was rapidly annexing but I didnt know that Charleston was doing the same? I guess it has to in order to keep an open line for tax base (developable land) and not to be ringed in by North Charleston and Mt. Pleasant which both could choke the city off from the mainland. I remember that James Island attempted at one time to incorporate but failed.. All the Cities down there were fearful of the islands incorporating and siphoning off lucrative tax base. They may have been successful and thwarting those efforts now since I dont believe SC Law wont allow a town/city to incorporate within a certain distance of an existing town/city...

If North Charleston becomes the largest city in the State SC will probably be one of the only States to have a suburb as its largest city... No offense.. just saying...
Charleston annexations are really an attempt to block future expasion of North Charleston. Charleston and Summerville tried to connect their city lines to block North Charleston but failed a few years back, when North Charleston annnexed the Watson Hill tract and jumped the Ashley River. In response Charleston planned to annex the East Edisto tract a very large area of undeveloped land, which they had drawn up plans with several contractors to develope. That has yet to materialize but while they wait on that, there in another legal battle with James Isl. Plus Charleston has a lot of land to acquire by way of the Long Savannah area. But I really expect things to heat up with North Charleston in West Ashley now..

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times
It's possible but I'd hate to see a suburb become the state's largest city as opposed to a traditional, older city. But Columbia also has lots of annexation possibilities, particularly to the northeast.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM

I wonder if people realize why or how North Charleston got in the position it is in today? It's not because we had aspirations of being the largest city or we have a "little brother" complex, in actuality Charleston created us because of there 18 century mentality on how to run a city. They had a 300 year jump on anything North Charleston has today, but they chose to stay in there position from before the Civil War. Therefore any growth would have to be taken outside the city limits. Which in turn means that area will grow quicker just because it's less restricted and could bring more industry with a lot less politics involved. So it's simple economics why a city would erect from this situation, your area generates revenue as well as tax dollars, but your tax money goes into a city you don't even live in, there for you create a new city and guarantee you see some of the tax money you helped pull in in the first place. All we did was capitalized off the opportunities Charleston turned its nose up too

Sorry for being of topic, but I felt I needed to address the misconception people have about North Charleston...

Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,075,849 times
Quote:
I wonder if people realize why or how North Charleston got in the position it is in today? It's not because we had aspirations of being the largest city or we have a "little brother" complex, in actuality Charleston created us because of there 18 century mentality on how to run a city. They had a 300 year jump on anything North Charleston has today, but they chose to stay in there position from before the Civil War. Therefore any growth would have to be taken outside the city limits. Which in turn means that area will grow quicker just because it's less restricted and could bring more industry with a lot less politics involved. So it's simple economics why a city would erect from this situation, your area generates revenue as well as tax dollars, but your tax money goes into a city you don't even live in, there for you create a new city and guarantee you see some of the tax money you helped pull in in the first place. All we did was capitalized off the opportunities Charleston turned its nose up too

Sorry for being of topic, but I felt I needed to address the misconception people have about North Charleston...
I don't believe Charleston turned its nose up N Chas. Chas. really wasn't interested in expanding its city limits until Mayor Gaillard was elected in the early 60's. He was the first mayor to annex anything off the peninisula which were parts of West Ashley and later parts of James Island. There is thinking that he would have tried to annex the old Navy Yard but he resigned to be Asst Secy of the Navy, if my memory serves me right. The reality is that most of N Chas would have resisted annexation anyway so it probably doesn't really matter. Both cities are currently doing quiet well though and it makes for a strong metro.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
I don't believe Charleston turned its nose up N Chas. Chas. really wasn't interested in expanding its city limits until Mayor Gaillard was elected in the early 60's. He was the first mayor to annex anything off the peninisula which were parts of West Ashley and later parts of James Island. There is thinking that he would have tried to annex the old Navy Yard but he resigned to be Asst Secy of the Navy, if my memory serves me right. The reality is that most of N Chas would have resisted annexation anyway so it probably doesn't really matter. Both cities are currently doing quiet well though and it makes for a strong metro.
H
What you said is absolutely right for the last 50 years, but Chas. has had literally centuries of basically free growth without any restrictions, yet they chose not to. I jus see it as North Chas. offered people and businesses alike, opportunities that Chas. refused to. But as you stated earlier they both are the anchors of our strong metro area. Essentially, if your from here, to the people it's just one big city. WTBS, I stand by my opinion that One of the Charlestons will be the largest city in SC in the next 10-20 years...

Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,880,526 times
Quote:
I would answer yes. Most people already think of it as the states largest, since it has the states busiest airport, best shopping, major industry, etc, etc.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,619,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I would answer yes. Most people already think of it as the states largest, since it has the states busiest airport, best shopping, major industry, etc, etc.
No, most people know that Columbia is the largest city, Greenville is the largest metro based in SC (Rock Hill is the only city in SC which is part of the largest metro in SC....Charlotte).

Since when did shopping equate to a city's size? That has to be one of the dumbest theories on this board. Greenville had Whole Foods years before Charlotte, last I checked, Charlotte is about 4x the size of Greenville. Raleigh has consistently had stores before Charlotte, again, Charlotte is larger. What does it say about a city with good shopping that loc residents can't afford?

Major industry??? Does one big fish count vs BMW, Michelin in Greenville or education in Columbia?

Of well, I guess retail "experts" are never wrong......except for that pesky Whole Foods which opened in Columbia even though it was not on their store opening list or the issue of Magnolia Park. Guess you can't win them all.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 10,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
No, most people know that Columbia is the largest city, Greenville is the largest metro based in SC (Rock Hill is the only city in SC which is part of the largest metro in SC....Charlotte).

Since when did shopping equate to a city's size? That has to be one of the dumbest theories on this board. Greenville had Whole Foods years before Charlotte, last I checked, Charlotte is about 4x the size of Greenville. Raleigh has consistently had stores before Charlotte, again, Charlotte is larger. What does it say about a city with good shopping that loc residents can't afford?

Major industry??? Does one big fish count vs BMW, Michelin in Greenville or education in Columbia?

Of well, I guess retail "experts" are never wrong......except for that pesky Whole Foods which opened in Columbia even though it was not on their store opening list or the issue of Magnolia Park. Guess you can't win them all.

I don't think most people think of Columbia as the largest city. Really I think people could care less. South Carolina is the only forum in which these type of topics are even addressed. What can we say about the state as a whole is what we need to address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina