Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,601,493 times

Advertisements

All BBQ is good; it's just a matter of degree of good. I am happy to see this effort though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:16 AM
912 912 started this thread

1,531 posts, read 3,105,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
(rebel flag flying.....racist)

Are you that simple minded?

The Stars & Bars is flown to this day on the Statehouse grounds to symbolize our states "you can't bully us & tell us what to do" attitude, which is not all that different from the attitude espoused by Texas.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:18 AM
912 912 started this thread

1,531 posts, read 3,105,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs2005 View Post

None of that matters IRT the BBQ trail- the most correct reason to keep Maurice's off the trail is that his BBQ just isn't that good. It's OK, but not good enough to be included in a list of definitive establishments in SC. Sure, the Bessinger family name is prominent in the state, but much better BBQ places have relegated them to being on par with fast food.

This. The Charleston area Bessinger clan makes a better product.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM

3,594 posts, read 4,367,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenites View Post
I like dukes in new ellenton a lot.. primo bbq at an affordable price

Nahh you go to Carolina for the BBQ and hushpuppies. You go to Dukes for the Fried Chicken and sides.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,408,449 times
It wasn't the just the flag that made people call Maurice a racist. How about the wall-sized sign he had at the first piggie park? Or the tracts that used to be available in his stores that preached the biblical justification for slavery?

I'm all for freedom of speech, so I think he has every right to say what he believes whether it offends me or not, but there are plenty of reasons to think that the guy was pretty racist, especially before his latter-day religious conversion.

But like everyone else here, it was never his views on race that led me to skip piggie park: it's just not all that good.

As far as i'm concerned, the best BBQ in SC is in Manning. McCabes, specifically.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM

8,260 posts, read 13,407,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It wasn't the just the flag that made people call Maurice a racist. How about the wall-sized sign he had at the first piggie park? Or the tracts that used to be available in his stores that preached the biblical justification for slavery?

I'm all for freedom of speech, so I think he has every right to say what he believes whether it offends me or not, but there are plenty of reasons to think that the guy was pretty racist, especially before his latter-day religious conversion.

But like everyone else here, it was never his views on race that led me to skip piggie park: it's just not all that good.

As far as i'm concerned, the best BBQ in SC is in Manning. McCabes, specifically.
The Pee Dee has some of the best BBQ in the State. When I was down there Roger's BBQ in Florence had the best Buffet (dont if it is still there) as did School House BBQ down in Scranton. There was also a place in Coward that was really good.. but I believe it moved/closed. Havent been down that way in some time but would love to revisit....

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,968,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
This. The Charleston area Bessinger clan makes a better product.
If that's the case, then Maurice's must REALLY not be very good. The Charleston versions I find to be dry and flavorless...the only real flavor coming from their secret family sauce they insist on flooding it with...dripping, really...and the sauce isn't near as good as they seem to think it is.

I will add that I have never eaten at Joe Bessinger's closer to Summerville.

I also am not a huge fan of Sweatman's. I might swing by if I happen to be traveling that way, but it isn't "destination" barbecue in my opinion.

McCabe's I like.

Scott's...well they can cook a decent hog, but their sauce has an ingredient in it that makes it unpalatable to me. I really want to like this place because they do things the right way, but I just can't enjoy it with that particular flavor they add.

Home Team around CHS is probably the best in that area...not traditional SC, but better than most anything you'll find around Charleston.

JB's Smokehouse on John's Island isn't good to us.

The Barbecue Joint in North Charleston isn't good.

Mama Brown's in Mount Pleasant tastes just like oven cooked bbq should...not good.

Bluffton BBQ in Bluffton was recommended to us with shining accolades, but we felt it was mediocre at best.

Palmetto Smokehouse in Okatie has some great barbecue.

School House BBQ in Scranton had a good buffet, but their bbq was middlin'.

Take me north of the border and I can run across a great bbq joint about every 30 minutes to an hour while driving (Grady's, Wilbur's, & McCall's in Goldsboro/Skylight Inn & Bum's in Ayden/B's in Greenville/Oakwood in Jacksonville/Blackbeards in Conetoe/Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill...and that is just some in the eastern part of the state w/o even mentioning any Lexington-style joints).

Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
The "South Carolina BBQ Trail" is prominently featured on this month's e-newsletter from the SC Dept of Tourism. If I could figure out how to do links on this forum I'd link it for you.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 12,681 times
Default SC Tourism BBQ Trail link

Not sure if the formatting is going to work, but here's the link.
South Carolina Tourism's Official BBQ Page

Just saw a billboard for the BBQ Trail this morning on I-26N, leaving Charleston.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:47 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,408,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalSteve View Post
Not sure if the formatting is going to work, but here's the link.
South Carolina Tourism's Official BBQ Page

Just saw a billboard for the BBQ Trail this morning on I-26N, leaving Charleston.
Here you go, buddy: South Carolina Tourism's Official BBQ Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina