Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 PM

243 posts, read 283,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo55 View Post
According to the article that I read, the cops caught the guy pretty quickly a few minutes later. Seems like there was a good chance he would have have gotten away quickly and been fairly difficult to track down in the following days. SOunds like they were paying attention.

It isn't like they can act so quickly that they prevent somebody shooting a gun.
I read somewhere that the shooter was caught on a security camera (same thing with the guys who beat up the bartender or whatever at Group several months ago) so it was just a matter of tracking him down, which it appears they did a good job of.

simply catching these people (and I use that term losely) isn't good enough in my opinion...the violence that is happening down there never should happen in the first place. Let me be clear that I am not saying that the police are ever going to be able to stop all of the violence from taking place down there (or anywhere), but they need to do a better job at preventing the violence than they are currently doing.

I don't remember one incident like this when I was living in Columbia (and I spent a lot of time in five points), but there have been like 4 incidents of serious violence (Im not talking about 2 drunk guys throwing a couple of punches) in the last year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,876,309 times
A good follow up article on this recent shooting.
Columbia, SC: Bolton: Columbia should unite over Five Points to fight crime citywide | Warren Bolton | The State

Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 PM

12,947 posts, read 18,805,608 times
It was appropriate for the OP to start this thread in the South Carolina forum.

Enough is enough. We are here today because we all believe that the system is broken and the only way to fix it is by working together,” Benjamin said. “This isn’t a Five Points problem, it’s a community problem, it’s a city wide problem and it’s a state problem. We need to shut the revolving door on repeat violent offenders.” Mayor Steve Benjamin

Read more here: COLUMBIA, SC: Benjamin fast tracking bond reform meeting | Crime | The State

Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,412,753 times
Yes, it is a STATE problem. Greenville, Cola, Charleston, all are seeing an increase in these brazen, shocking, violent crimes.

There is no deterrence anymore.

One man's "harassment" is another man's protection.

Let our cops work. Pay them right. Treat them right. And stuff will still happen....just FAR less often.

Problem is, when stuff like this doesn't happen, we get complacent, and don't want to keep up the efforts that prevents it.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,949,498 times
The last two shootings that have occurred in Five Points (the one last weekend, and the one last spring) were BOTH repeat offenders at the trigger. Though I completely agree that the Police force does need to be more proactive in combating the issue, they can only really put a band-aid on a broken leg as a uniform officer, our stupid judges keep letting these guys out that are known thugs. I also know this may not be the most popular decision, but why not shut down the bars at midnight? Yes I know wouldn't be popular with the college students, but it really would cut down on the violence down there and if you really want to drink for four hours, just go out at 8. Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't Charleston have that in place?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Actually I think when you shut down bars when they are at their peak or still near it, you invite problems by pushing so many people out onto the sidewalks at the same time. It's not like they're going to immediately disperse and go home. They're going to stand around talking (the drunk ones yelling as much as talking) and clogging up the walkways. Then someone looks at someone the wrong way and someone says something and then look out. Thugs in such settings are animals of a different stripe, but such settings are fodder for their terror.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Actually I think when you shut down bars when they are at their peak or still near it, you invite problems by pushing so many people out onto the sidewalks at the same time. It's not like they're going to immediately disperse and go home. They're going to stand around talking (the drunk ones yelling as much as talking) and clogging up the walkways. Then someone looks at someone the wrong way and someone says something and then look out. Thugs in such settings are animals of a different stripe, but such settings are fodder for their terror.
Thats a good point, but I think it would also deter some from going out at all and also prevent people from being as drunk as they would be at 2 am but I didnt really consider midnight really being the peak time for Five Points.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 AM

One thing that is an out there idea, but looking at the timeline of when the violence began, as well as being down in Five Points experiencing this first hand leads me to believe this is very much a contributing factor, is lifting the smoking ban in Five Points bars.

The first serious round of violence started around the same time the smoking ban came into affect and since then, it has gotten to where it is now. With the exception of a few bars down there, smokers have to smoke on the sidewalk crowding the small area, causing drunk people to bump into one another, some of them thugs, some of them hot heads, etc. I have seen numerous occasions where this has escalated dramatically into a brawl and as we have seen in few instances can end up much worse.

Now I know that the timeline of violence down there had more contributing factors as well and also dont think this will resolve all issues, but I really think if we were to allow people to smoke inside the bars again down there instead of having them crowding up the sidewalks, we could stop altercations before they happen as well as be able to point out those looking to cause trouble a little easier.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,617,792 times
Does anyone believe shutting off traffic will help keep thugs out of 5 points? I am not sure since i am in Charlotte but it seems like the sheriff wants to give it a try.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Thats a good point, but I think it would also deter some from going out at all and also prevent people from being as drunk as they would be at 2 am but I didnt really consider midnight really being the peak time for Five Points.
Unless college students have changed a lot in Columbia, they hardly even arrive at the clubs before midnight, especially after a late home game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina