Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The I-85/I-385 interchange area (which includes every nearby portion interstate freeway) is definitely in need of an upgrade. The roads and bridges in that area were designed for significantly less traffic. The merge lanes and exits are, in many cases, extremely insufficient for the amount of vehicles that use them each day. Now is the best time to upgrade this interchange and prepare it for even greater traffic in the future. The Greenville metropolitan area is steadily growing and should take action today or its infrastructure will remain inadequate and could negatively affect the state's ability to attract future economic developments.
Im sure this intersection is not perfect, but it is a vacation compared to malfunction junction in Columbia and the SCDOT's traffic counts, and projected traffic counts will tell you that, 385/85 projected average daily volume for the year 2018 is less than what the current average daily volume is in Malfunction Junction and I havent seen the 2018 projections for Malfunction Junction, but I can promise you it wont decrease anytime soon!

Also from the standpoint of fostering economic development activities on a state level, I dont see how 385/85 should be of greater importance than Malfunction Junction considering that the intersection is in the middle of Columbia which itself is seeing tremendous economic growth, but is in the middle of the state and to get to anywhere from the upstate (i.e. the Port) you have to go through it, so it has a pretty big impact on economic development up there as well, not to mention here and the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I tried to read through this entire post but it was basically the same argument.

I just want to add this. The South Carolina Transportation Infrastructure Bank has been chaired since its existence by Don Leonard. The SCTIB is so successful, it is held up as the gold standard by other states.

I am lucky enough to be friends with Don and I can say he is one of the smartest, most ethical men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He's also a very modest man about his credentials.

Don is single handedly responsible for bringing in the Ravenel Bridge a year early and millions and millions under budget.

Why am I mentioning this? Because I would put a little trust in a man who isn't pissing away our tax dollars and is smart enough to know what projects need done first and how to get them done.

FWIW, while it isn't relevant because of his character, Don is wealthy enough he literally cannot be bought.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
He did an amazing job with the Ravenel Bridge. Single best use of tax dollars in this state if you are a jogger, too. That pedestrian path over the bridge is spectacular. Best jog in the state.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
He did an amazing job with the Ravenel Bridge. Single best use of tax dollars in this state if you are a jogger, too. That pedestrian path over the bridge is spectacular. Best jog in the state.
It kind of killed the thrill of the Bridge Run! Yes, that is an amazing run! I remember the week they opened the Ravenel Bridge Charleston hosted the Burn The Bridges Run. If you didn't run it, the race started at the Aquarium and you ran out and over the Silas Pearman to Mt. Pleasant then back to Charleston over the Grace Memorial.

That Grace Memorial Bridge was the scariest thing I have ever been on and to think at one time it was a two way bridge. People were literally pulling nuts and bolts off the bridge.

Afterwards they fed us shrimp & grits and we drained a Budweiser truck of beer.

It was a really fantastic memory.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It kind of killed the thrill of the Bridge Run! Yes, that is an amazing run! I remember the week they opened the Ravenel Bridge Charleston hosted the Burn The Bridges Run. If you didn't run it, the race started at the Aquarium and you ran out and over the Silas Pearman to Mt. Pleasant then back to Charleston over the Grace Memorial.

That Grace Memorial Bridge was the scariest thing I have ever been on and to think at one time it was a two way bridge. People were literally pulling nuts and bolts off the bridge.

Afterwards they fed us shrimp & grits and we drained a Budweiser truck of beer.

It was a really fantastic memory.
Ive lived in Columbia my whole life and have been in Charleston during the summer every year since I was 7 and have yet to do the Bridge Run....think ill change that this year!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM

22 posts, read 50,539 times
He said THEY ARE COUNTED

Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 PM

22 posts, read 50,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
That's the problem. Its one reason SC is dead last or near last in all the rankings that MATTER: Crime, poverty, STD's, infant mortality, education, income, pollution.

Name a list you don't want to be at the bottom of...and SC is probably near the bottom.

Republican leadership dominates this state. And it shows.
No....SC was run by Democrats for generations. And many of them were from the Lowcountry

Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,960,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCurbanNative View Post
No....SC was run by Democrats for generations. And many of them were from the Lowcountry
Democrats pre 1940 = Republicans.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Democrats pre 1940 = Republicans.
That's actually not true. It's reached urban myth status though. An interesting article for you.

The Republican Racist Myth | RealClearPolitics
Quote:
In other words, by 1964, most Democrats were already voting like Republicans on non-racial issues. On a blank slate, these Democrats would be Republicans; they were true DINOs. But three things kept these Democrats from actually calling themselves Republicans: Jim Crow, seniority and Herbert Hoover.

This is why we see such little change from the general trend post-1964, even with the end of Jim Crow's strange career. Republicans picked up a few Congressional seats. J. Strom Thurmond became a Republican, and a few other prominent Democrats followed suit. But the Southern Congressional delegations continued to be dominated by Democrats. Almost all of the signatories to the Southern Manifesto remained Democrats until they left Congress. Some, like Russell Long and John Stennis served as Democrats into the 1980s. When Haley Barbour ran against Stennis in 1982, he lost by a nearly 2:1 margin. George Wallace was elected Governor of Alabama as a Democrat in 1982.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
Southbel- your post reminded me of one of my aunts that is well into her 80s. I'm a late in life kid so a lot of family stories fly right over my head due to not knowing the relatives or times in general. She voted for Bush in 2000 after not voting for decades & again in 2004- but after the economy fell her response was 'my Daddy told me never to vote for a Republican after Hoover and I should have listened.'

It should also be noted that Republicans used to be the urban/city voters in the South. That has pretty much flipped on its ear as well. And as a whole the South was abysmal in terms of race relations (although not exclusively so.) So pretty much all Southern Politicians who began before the 60s have records that would embarrass almost anyone today. A lot of those racist Dems really only stayed in the party to be in the majority party- if you look at the rise of Rs in the mid nineties a large portion are elected officials who switched parties. They were racially out of sync with Dems and many continue to be fiscally out of step with the Rs. But they maintained their elected offices....

I'll also point out how half the folks over the various boards in Columbia would sway like the wind politically if it served their ambitions. I think the biggest problem with the infrastructure bank and highway commission is that SC has a lot of growth, a lot of unique conditions along the coast and a lot of infrastructure issues in the upstate but very little money to address them. As much as everyone wants to claim the Ravenel Bridge is a masterpiece it was actually a bit of a stock design and is engineered to be as inexpensive as possible to complete. The double diamond supports while giving it character are actually an engineering solution. And the design-build firm that constructed it should get credit for the early completion. No paper pusher in Columbia had any impact on the actual construction schedule, phasing, submittals or materials in a way that would shorten the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina