Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,345,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Gotta say, I agree with GSP101 on this whole thread. SC is being very shortsighted to not promote the burbs of Charlotte that exist within the SC boundary. Charlotte's best burbs head South / Southeast toward SC.....SC could walk away with some prized business developments if it promoted the area more. Reminds me of Memphis, TN and the Mississippi burbs of Memphis.....Mississippi got smart and "grabbed some of the gold" away from Memphis and TN. Disagree with Akhenaton06/Rochelle/Mutiny77 or whatever other multiple post banned name he is going by at the moment on City-Data.
You're in another state so it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,345,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Don't confuse trying to understand the structure of the department with the politics of SC. Just because I am trying to understand how the department is structured does not mean I don't believe for a second that the state promotes the three SC based metros as you have advocated.....I would hesitate to call them the big three, they are not big.

So, answer this........why is it fair to the people that I highlighted for them to pay taxes and watch the state focus development efforts primarily on Greenville, Charleston & Columbia? Especially when selling this area to companies that would never look at Greenville, Charleston or Columbia could enhance their area dramatically? Adding this element to SC's recruiting efforts helps the state with higher tax collections and also gets it in the game to go after other companies that just may locate elsewhere in the state? Right now, SC is not good at attracting those companies other than grabbing a few from Charlotte. It has the ability and tools to go after more but, with your approach, seems limited by protecting the three SC based metros, that is sad.

The fact that this is an argument is embarrassing. If state officials are having these same arguments, SC is not going to advance much past attracting manufacturing because of cheap labor. Honestly, when I started this thread, I thought it would be much more about including all parts of the state in development efforts. There will always be a manufacturing, tourism, and government aspect to SC's economy. But, to dismiss the notion of attracting large international high impact companies to the state only because you want to focus on the three SC based metros is way beyond logic. And then you make the assumption that I care only because I am offended because SC is not focusing on helping to grow Charlotte? That is garbage, you accused me of twisting words and yet you are trying to speak for me?

Your take on FM is interesting...cheap gas, fireworks, etc.....Allen Tate spoke about how quickly the York/FM area was growing and labeled it as the next Southpark/Ballantyne. Not to be dismissive but I think Allen Tate knows a little bit about real estate in the Carolinas. In other words, a lot of people see the value in this area except those trying to protect the traditional three SC based metros of SC. I don't understand that logic.
Your right, because you don't live here. Your alliance now is to Charlotte and North Carolina. We disagree with you. You can't change that no more than we can change you. Let it go.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,881,413 times
Quote:
You know GS, this one baffles me. SC has an opportunity to grow in other sectors where is weak. But, these guys want to protect the three SC based metros. I don't get it. And, even worse, it would not cost a ton to recruit, the payback would be well worth it.
Totally agree!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,619,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Your right, because you don't live here. Your alliance now is to Charlotte and North Carolina. We disagree with you. You can't change that no more than we can change you. Let it go.
For the record, Mutiny lives in Atlanta. But, I still have a lot of interests in SC.....I am more vested in SC than you think.

The real issue is that this is not an either/or situation. The state can recruit for more than one or two sectors/areas. As I said, the payback would be great.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Don't confuse trying to understand the structure of the department with the politics of SC. Just because I am trying to understand how the department is structured does not mean I don't believe for a second that the state promotes the three SC based metros as you have advocated.....I would hesitate to call them the big three, they are not big.
They are South Carolina's Big Three. Don't split hairs. And again, you are operating off nothing more than assumptions as far as recruitment of non-manufacturing jobs go; that much has already been established. You have nothing more than conjecture at this point.

Quote:
So, answer this........why is it fair to the people that I highlighted for them to pay taxes and watch the state focus development efforts primarily on Greenville, Charleston & Columbia? Especially when selling this area to companies that would never look at Greenville, Charleston or Columbia could enhance their area dramatically? Adding this element to SC's recruiting efforts helps the state with higher tax collections and also gets it in the game to go after other companies that just may locate elsewhere in the state? Right now, SC is not good at attracting those companies other than grabbing a few from Charlotte. It has the ability and tools to go after more but, with your approach, seems limited by protecting the three SC based metros, that is sad.
The people who are moving to Fort Mill in droves--many of whom used to actually live in Charlotte mind you--are doing so because they like the fact that it's a bedroom community with good schools and lower taxes. They know that Charlotte is the primary business center of the region and expect to make that commute.

The reason SC isn't good at attracting the companies you're talking about isn't because of a lack of recruitment efforts; it's because the state isn't doing what NC started doing a long time ago which is cultivating a highly educated, highly skilled workforce via its educational institutions. Until that changes, SC won't get the bigger fish that metros like Atlanta, the Triangle, and Atlanta are getting.

Quote:
The fact that this is an argument is embarrassing. If state officials are having these same arguments, SC is not going to advance much past attracting manufacturing because of cheap labor. Honestly, when I started this thread, I thought it would be much more about including all parts of the state in development efforts. There will always be a manufacturing, tourism, and government aspect to SC's economy. But, to dismiss the notion of attracting large international high impact companies to the state only because you want to focus on the three SC based metros is way beyond logic. And then you make the assumption that I care only because I am offended because SC is not focusing on helping to grow Charlotte? That is garbage, you accused me of twisting words and yet you are trying to speak for me?
I said nothing about you being offended. And again, I said that SC's PRIMARY focus should be on the Big Three as far as bigger economic developments are concerned; of course I occasionally expect Fort Mill, Florence, and even Aiken to get a prize but for the most part, I expect Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville to lead the pack. I don't know how many ways I need to say it for you to get it because you're just having a lot of trouble comprehending this concept.

Quote:
Your take on FM is interesting...cheap gas, fireworks, etc.....Allen Tate spoke about how quickly the York/FM area was growing and labeled it as the next Southpark/Ballantyne. Not to be dismissive but I think Allen Tate knows a little bit about real estate in the Carolinas. In other words, a lot of people see the value in this area except those trying to protect the traditional three SC based metros of SC. I don't understand that logic.
Of course it's growing and is valuable in the most basic sense. Now if Tate wants to put his money where his mouth is and build a large Ballantyne-style corporate park in Fort Mill and partner with the county, the state, and the Charlotte regional partnership to bring companies there, then I'm all for it and think it would be a great thing since all of the burden wouldn't be on the state. And I expect that as Charlotte continues to grow that that area will also continue to grow and gain in prominence and will start to have more amenities of its own that attract companies. But for now, yes it's just generic suburbia that just so happens to be located adjacent to a fast-growing mid-major metro. There's nothing unique about that compared either to the rest of Charlotte (except the low taxes part) or high-growth suburbia in SC.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
For the record, Mutiny lives in Atlanta. But, I still have a lot of interests in SC.....I am more vested in SC than you think.

The real issue is that this is not an either/or situation. The state can recruit for more than one or two sectors/areas. As I said, the payback would be great.
And I agree with this. What we disagree on is a matter of degree.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They are South Carolina's Big Three. Don't split hairs. And again, you are operating off nothing more than assumptions as far as recruitment of non-manufacturing jobs go; that much has already been established. You have nothing more than conjecture at this point.

The people who are moving to Fort Mill in droves--many of whom used to actually live in Charlotte mind you--are doing so because they like the fact that it's a bedroom community with good schools and lower taxes. They know that Charlotte is the primary business center of the region and expect to make that commute.

The reason SC isn't good at attracting the companies you're talking about isn't because of a lack of recruitment efforts; it's because the state isn't doing what NC started doing a long time ago which is cultivating a highly educated, highly skilled workforce via its educational institutions. Until that changes, SC won't get the bigger fish that metros like Atlanta, the Triangle, and Atlanta are getting.

I said nothing about you being offended. And again, I said that SC's PRIMARY focus should be on the Big Three as far as bigger economic developments are concerned; of course I occasionally expect Fort Mill, Florence, and even Aiken to get a prize but for the most part, I expect Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville to lead the pack. I don't know how many ways I need to say it for you to get it because you're just having a lot of trouble comprehending this concept.

Of course it's growing and is valuable in the most basic sense. Now if Tate wants to put his money where his mouth is and build a large Ballantyne-style corporate park in Fort Mill and partner with the county, the state, and the Charlotte regional partnership to bring companies there, then I'm all for it and think it would be a great thing since all of the burden wouldn't be on the state. And I expect that as Charlotte continues to grow that that area will also continue to grow and gain in prominence and will start to have more amenities of its own that attract companies. But for now, yes it's just generic suburbia that just so happens to be located adjacent to a fast-growing mid-major metro. There's nothing unique about that compared either to the rest of Charlotte (except the low taxes part) or high-growth suburbia in SC.
Nothing has been established about what I know and don't know.

I do agree that people are moving to York in large numbers from a lot of areas. And, yes, Charlotte is the central business center of the area, it is the primary business center of the Carolina's for that matter.

If SC has not made the educational investments, recruiting businesses to tap into Charlotte's labor force makes more sense. That is exactly what I spoke about earlier. Companies pass over SC but the state has an opportunity to capture some of this if they recruit the companies to the Charlotte counties. Again, this is not an either/or situation. SC's based metros won't be hurt if the state attracts more companies to York. I don't have trouble comprehending anything, I just think your approach is 100% wrong and lacks any sort of reasonable assumptions or economic/financial reality. Not sure how many ways I can say it but, additional incremental recruitment of the companies won't hurt the manufacturing recruitment. But, I disagree that the SC based metros should be the focus at the expense of other areas.

You have a high growth county, at the top in SC, which sits in a high growth metro, has access to a top 10 airport, has access to a high quality labor force, has multiple office parks where developers have invested, and you are telling me that while nice, the state should look to the three SC based metros because of what? Because you think York is generic? That's not a reason. In simple terms, that makes no sense from so many angles. From a return basis, SC would easily make money on recruiting companies to these counties. And, yes, it is a unique situation relative to other suburban SC areas, primarily, York is in a large metro of 2.4m.....Greenvile, Columbia and Charleston combined are roughly the size of Charlotte yet, you think York is no different Anderson or Berkley counties? You honestly think a company will look at being located in Anderson SC as no different than Fort Mill? So, JP Morgan would be indifferent in being located in either Anderson or FM?

We aren't going to agree on this. So, it's best to agree that we have a different approach.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And I agree with this. What we disagree on is a matter of degree.
What matter of degree? Does York get second choice in you view? If a company rejects the SC based metros, then throw York at them in desperation? As much as you have written, I am not sure what you think is an appropriate level of commitment to these counties. Does the commerce department throw An intern at them while the professionals work the big metros? If that is the case, what about Orangeburg.....is it in the same boat as York? I am not sure how you tell a fast growing area that you are on the second team for recruitment. I am not sure how you say that York is just like any other suburban county like Anderson when industry leaders all point to York as the next Southpark/Ballantyne. All in all, this makes absolutely no sense.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM

You're right, we won't agree. York and Lancaster counties have their place, but they are not on the level of the Big Three. The Big Three contain the bulk of the state's infrastructure that can be shored up by new economic investment and that would immensely help raise the profile of the state. In SC, I'm primarily rooting for Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville and then for Florence (which is TRULY the redheaded stepchild of the state in terms of investment), Myrtle Beach, suburban Charlotte, suburban Augusta, Sumter, Spartanburg, and Hilton Head-Beaufort.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,972,026 times
Quote:
What matter of degree? Does York get second choice in you view? If a company rejects the SC based metros, then throw York at them in desperation? As much as you have written, I am not sure what you think is an appropriate level of commitment to these counties. Does the commerce department throw An intern at them while the professionals work the big metros? If that is the case, what about Orangeburg.....is it in the same boat as York? I am not sure how you tell a fast growing area that you are on the second team for recruitment. I am not sure how you say that York is just like any other suburban county like Anderson when industry leaders all point to York as the next Southpark/Ballantyne. All in all, this makes absolutely no sense.
Probably has something to do with the lack of large scale transportation in York County, there is no port of course but neither is their a large airport which would be needed to support most industries, sure i could see it competing with Greenville or Columbia but Charleston has something that none of those cities do, a port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina