Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 5,604 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'm posting because I need your input regarding a possible move to either NC or SC. I am a Scottish lady, married to a Michigander. Last summer we moved from Scotland to Lake Huron for our retirement. MY problem: It's mainly farming and hunting up here and the winters are too long and too cold. Much longer and colder than the part of Scotland that I hail from. To experience the Michigan cold, you'd have to live in the Highland's of Scotland. Brrrrrrrrr.....Shiver me timbers! There's also too little to do here... there are days when I'm going stir crazy.

Anyway, someone mentioned how nice the Carolinias' are and suggested we check it out. So, here are things that I must have accurate information on:

How HOT and HUMID is the climate? I have allergies and asthma which could be affected by it.

BUGS: I'm told that the Carolinas' are infested with bugs in the hot weather. Is this true?

SNAKES: I hate 'em! Are they all over the place or, do they stay away from residential areas and generally where people are? Also, are there any aggressive types that will go after you?

On my travels I've met people from the south of the states and found them to be laid back and warm in character. Is this an accurate impression or did I just get lucky? I'm wondering how accepting they'd be of a Scot living in their midst. For those not familiar with the Scots, we are friendly, hospitable, and love to meet different people and share with them... we are a curious bunch. Generally, we are non-racist as a country and very welcoming of outsiders.

I thank you for any help you can give me. Have a great day folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,093,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanlass View Post
How HOT and HUMID is the climate? I have allergies and asthma which could be affected by it.

BUGS: I'm told that the Carolinas' are infested with bugs in the hot weather. Is this true?

SNAKES: I hate 'em! Are they all over the place or, do they stay away from residential areas and generally where people are? Also, are there any aggressive types that will go after you?

On my travels I've met people from the south of the states and found them to be laid back and warm in character. Is this an accurate impression or did I just get lucky?
Most of South Carolina is hot and humid in the summer-- check some sample City-Data profiles: //www.city-data.com/city/Columb...-Carolina.html
Columbia has a daily high temperature of 95, and an average humidity over 90 %. There are some slightly cooler place at higher altitudes, such as Walhalla.

Scots have adapted in the past, as many settled is SC. I suggest visiting in the summer to test your adjustment.

And, yes, there are bugs and snakes. However, you can control the bugs in the yard, and the snakes mostly stay in the woods.

I think your impression of people is accurate. Most are friendly.

Actually, if you want the best of both worlds, you could spend your summer at Lake Huron, and the rest of the time in South Carolina.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-23-2014 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Thank you goldenage1 for the information which is very helpful and much appreciated.

Can you tell me how many months in the summer are hot and humid in SC. In MI, July and August are the two very hot/humid months throughout the summer... Seemingly the rest aren't.

Your suggestion of having the best of both worlds is a good one and worthy of consideration.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,035,521 times
Quote:
Can you tell me how many months in the summer are hot and humid in SC. In MI, July and August are the two very hot/humid months throughout the summer... Seemingly the rest aren't.

OP, as i spent my first 46+ years in WI and last 5 here in SC, i can confidently say there are no comparisons between the 2 for summers. Not counting the rare truly hot northern summer recently, most times the real heat/humidity can be measured up there in days or worst case weeks. Down here it can start up May/June and run thru Sept.
That said, winter here is like fall in WI/MI. So for us it was an easy tradeoff, esp since we moved to escape the true winters and love doing oudoor summer things. The suggestion to visit in our peak summer is a good one. Give it a couple days to acclimate and then see what you think.

Bugs, sure there are more since there isnt any hard frost. But treat your home, and be wise about what you have in outdoor landscaping, and it is more of a non issue. I'd add though that if you have a dog, flea/tick season here is year round not seasonal so they need to be treated all 12 months.

We love the people, the things to do (esp the outdoors and the historical spots), and the weather. And at least in our locale, a 2 hr drive and we're in the ocean and 2 hrs the other direction the mountains. Coming from WI, that is pretty cool.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 AM

Thank you for your reply ranger17... your input is much appreciated and is very helpful too. We have five pets and so I'm now aware of the bug situation reference fleas and ticks. I never thought of that. Ultimately, it's a trade off between several long months of harsh cold winters' versus a mild winter and learning to adjust to much hotter summers.

What is Chapin like to live in? We're open to any suggestions.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,035,521 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply ranger17... your input is much appreciated and is very helpful too. We have five pets and so I'm now aware of the bug situation reference fleas and ticks. I never thought of that. Ultimately, it's a trade off between several long months of harsh cold winters' versus a mild winter and learning to adjust to much hotter summers.

What is Chapin like to live in? We're open to any suggestions.
since work isnt the driving force in your relocate, i'd actually consider what your main wants would be to narrow down a spot to potentially move to.
The western part of the state (Greenville being the metro area there) will have slightly cooler summers, and though they are in the base of the mountains winters are still mild. Greenville itself has a beautiful Main st/downtown and being close to the mountains gives some wonderful parks to see waterfalls, hike in, etc.

We chose the Chapin area (smaller community by Lake Murray, 30 mins from Columbia which is the state cap and college town) as our move was by choice, we wanted to be near or on the lake, and liked being centrally located in the state. That allows us to take a day trip to the beach, etc and be home in time for dinner. Again growing up in WI, that wasnt an option. It's possible that the Columbia area is the hottest part of the state, considering 2 hrs from the ocean and not near the mountains. But that may still be a fractional difference.

Our favorite place to visit in SC, is the Charleston area. The historical sights are amazing, from downtown to the area plantations. And a few minutes further and you're on the ocean. We probably head down there every 4-6 weeks.

There is also the Rock Hill area north near Charlotte and of course Myrtle beach on the coast which is a heavy tourism location.

What i'd maybe suggest if SC becomes the top choice, is spend a week here. A couple days in each market, doing recreational things you'd do if you lived there, see some sights, and check out housing basics as well. You could also post questions in the specific area forums and likely get better responses on housing, etc in those areas.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM

Some good information and suggestions to get us started with our search. I can see we have a lot to do because, NC & SC seem to have several very nice places that are all tempting. Thank you once again for your help.. it does make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina