Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 28,850 times

Advertisements

I have taken a job in Augusta. I am deciding where to live between the Evans, ga area or north Augusta, sc. I have two boys, 14 and 11. So schools are important. So want a comparison on schools, and resale value. Would love to live on sc side and get some acres but realtors etc. are directing me to the Evans area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
I want to say that SC taxes are lower than Georgia taxes.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:35 PM

226 posts, read 368,778 times
I'd say N. Augusta. It has a picturesque downtown, good schools (N. Augusta High has some major remodeling going on now too), and is a nice place. Anything you can't find there, Augusta is just a couple of minutes away. Nice neighborhoods too. Evans is nice and has a lot going on but taxes are higher and to me (I am from Aiken) it seems like it is mostly big shopping centers and stuff. Nice area with good schools, but I love a cute downtown area

Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 20,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger9296 View Post
I have taken a job in Augusta. I am deciding where to live between the Evans, ga area or north Augusta, sc. I have two boys, 14 and 11. So schools are important. So want a comparison on schools, and resale value. Would love to live on sc side and get some acres but realtors etc. are directing me to the Evans area.
so what did you decide? I'm trying to decide the same thing. Columbia county for schools vs. West Augusta for character & charm.....Or N. Augusta.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
With schools being a factor, I'd probably check out Columbia County. You also wouldn't have to worry about paying taxes in two states.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Based on the age of your kids, I believe Columbia County has better schools. But North Augusta has less traffic and is a slower paced area. Columbia County has seen an explosion in growth over the last ten years as people have fled the Augusta area. With that much growth there have been some pains.

I used to work with Mike Sleeper (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mike-sleeper/5/142/236) who sits on the Columbia County school board. I would suggest shooting him a few questions. He's very open to that sort of thing. Be sure to tell him an old co-worker Charleston way suggested you contact him.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 20,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
With schools being a factor, I'd probably check out Columbia County. You also wouldn't have to worry about paying taxes in two states.
Our family is relocating and I am/was considering N. Augusta, but didn't even think about the two taxes until I saw this. Don't want to seem ignorant, but would that really be a big hassle? Or does that mean we'd be paying twice the taxes? I'm trying to be fully educated before we make a decision.
Schools are important, but so is neighborhood charm. Which is why I'm drawn to West Augusta or N. Augusta. But my parents keep telling me how corrupt the Richmond County gov't is and that I want to be in Columbia county, or anywhere but in Richmond. Does that have any validity? From what I can tell, the housing market seems to be strong in W. Augusta, which is all I care about...resale in a few years if we have to move with the job again.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 AM

226 posts, read 368,778 times
Richmond County has some issues, and is a joke among a lot of locals in neighboring counties at least (I'm from Aiken County, SC which borders Richmond County). They are trying to clean it up, but it is a mess honestly and has been for many, many years. It doesn't seem to stop people from moving to Augusta though. It seems like more of an annoyance to most people across the river from where I grew up rather than anything that really affects them.
Columbia County is very nice, but has a lot of suburban sprawl. It can be a long commute depending on where you're living and where you're working at. I've heard good things about whats going on in Grovetown (town in Columbia County).
North Augusta is smaller and is a slower pace. It has a small downtown area with restaurants, shops, etc. And yes, if you live in NA and work in Augusta you will be paying two sets of state taxes. Many people feel like its worth it because of the lifestyle in NA compared to Augusta (traffic, crime depending on the area, COL, property taxes are higher). I personally like NA better than Augusta or Columbia County, but I am a SC girl born and bred My husband and I have paid the two sets of state taxes before, when we both were living in Aiken but working in Martinez, GA and Evans, GA - it wasn't that bad. We use TurboTax and the whole process was a snap. Honestly state taxes in GA and SC don't seem that high. For schools - NA and Columbia County have good schools. There are some really good ones in Richmond County too though. West Augusta is really nice.

I recommend going to the GA - Augusta area forum and posting questions though, a lot of people from all over the CSRA (Central Savannah River Area - nickname for that metro area) post there and they are responsive over on that forum.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
The two state tax issue is really more of an annoyance than a financial issue. You get credit in one state for taxes paid in the other. The Richmond County gov is simply dysfunctional. All the power lies in the council which can never get anything accomplished.

If you work down town, NA is going to be your quickest commute. Columbia county has better schools for your age kids. NA has more neighborhood charm, but not as many options as Columbia county. Unless you want Wal-Mart, you'll be doing most of your shopping in West Augusta if you're in NA. There is a CostCo just over the river in Georgia. NA is a slower pace, less traffic type of area. Columbia County will give you more opportunities for kids activities and a more suburban lifestyle.

I would agree that the Augusta, GA subforum would be the best place to ask this question. We lived in NA and Aiken for many years. It's an OK area. We wanted more for opportunities for our kids and more beauty in our surroundings so relocated to Charleston. I can say NA has some of the lowest cost of living around though.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,282 times
Honestly, it depends on what you want. I grew up in Evans and Aiken and lived in NA as an adult. Evans isn't the Evans I spent the first part of my life in. It is suburban sprawl. There is no "town." Evans isn't incorporated. NA is a true town, with a historic district/downtown. Evans offers way more amenities as far as shopping or dining. Evans has, at times, God awful traffic. Traffic is a non-issue in NA. Columbia County taxes are significantly higher than Aiken County. However, you wouldn't pay any city taxes in Evans but depending on where you live in NA, could pay both city and county taxes. I think schools in NA are better. What they do with students on a daily basis is more than what is going on in Columbia County. Columbia County/Evans schools may have "preferable demographics," but in terms of instruction, technology, and athletics; I'd favor NA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina