Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 31,557 times

Advertisements

I have heard on the news that the government was enacting all these new programs for veterans to get hired. Yes I have gone on the websites and the jobs offered are great but you need special skills, degrees, years of experience. Mostly veterans who have retired and had high ranks while they were in usually get these jobs. Not someone like me. Also, it is usually 1 job that is posted and hundreds of people are applying. Government jobs never hire me. State and city jobs never hire me. Mcdonalds or Walmart won't even hire me. I guess I don't look like a drug addict or scum of the earth because that is all I see working at these types of places. I've given up and just accept the fact that I'm unemployed, can't collect unemployment and go live in a shelter and collect food stamps. At least everyone who pays taxes will be paying for my food and shelter, so thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM

226 posts, read 368,873 times
Have you tried at your local municipality to work for a police or sheriff's office? A good friend of mine just got out of the Army a couple of months ago. He got hired on by a sheriff's office as a deputy, and had an offer from the state troopers too. He wasn't extremely high ranking or retired - put in his 4 years, and decided to get out. He also joined the National Guard and they pay him a little bit too.
Its hard coming back into civilian life, and in this job market too. Regardless of what 'they' say, it is still tough to get a job. I'm sorry you're having a tough time, and wish you the best of luck finding something out there.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:07 PM

117 posts, read 270,559 times
Don't give up and become a statistic. Not having any more info on your search from your post I wll ask some basic questions so we can better help you. First, have you created a good resume listing your education, training, skills and previous experience. Did you learn any new skills while in the military? What kind of jobs are you focusing on? Have you uploaded that resume onto job search sites? Are you willing to relocate to find a job-even to the next town or state?

The suggestion to contact your local law enforcement is a good one. Also, find out when the next hiring exams are for the police and fire departments and take them. I have heard from some hiring managers that they never see half of the applications sent in using an online application because the software used by these search engines are programmed to discard applications that don't have certain keywords or are missing something so the hiring managers are missing qualified applicants. When it's possible, always apply in person, dressed for the job you want, and ask if you can leave a resume and application for future consideration if there are no current openings. Network all you can-ask friends and family if their company is hiring. If you have minimal skills, consider taking classes esp in computer applications used in offices.

Keep trying and something will come up. Thank you for your service and God bless you.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,610 times
POLICE!!!

They are almost always hiring due to high turnover. And they like ex military, for obvious reasons.

Charleston PD starts at around 43K
Mount Pleasant PD starts at around 39K
North Charleston PD starts at around 35K
Charleston Sheriffs Dept starts between 30K-50K depending on background

They are literally always hiring, especially the county jail if you really need a job.

If you are ex military, no felonies, no drug use, in reasonable shape, no bad driving record........you'd almost be a sure hire.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:05 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,763 times
That is because this Government only takes care of criminals and illegals, not our Veterans. To say this is sad, doesn't even begin to describe it. My Brother-in-Law works at a Body Shop in Charleston, and he says they're usually hiring, maybe you could try that route. I wish you good luck, and thank you for your service.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,053 times
You may want to check with UPS...

http://www.ups.com/media/en/UPS_Veteran_Support.pdf

Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,939,418 times
There's a county Career Center here that provides low-cost or free help to people looking for jobs or to change careers; they provide one on one resume assistance, classes on using resources like LinkedIn for job searches and interviewing, job listings you can use in your search, etc. I'd go to your local library, unemployment office, etc. and see if there's a career center in your area or a nearby town in your county.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
That is because this Government only takes care of criminals and illegals, not our Veterans. To say this is sad, doesn't even begin to describe it. My Brother-in-Law works at a Body Shop in Charleston, and he says they're usually hiring, maybe you could try that route. I wish you good luck, and thank you for your service.
This government provides all military members with a chance to retire as young as 38, with pension and benefits for LIFE. At age 38!!?

But, if you serve 5 years, don't expect to get 50 years worth of pension and healthcare.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Around here, people hire veterans in preference to those who have not served. Are you using all the resources available to you through the State, VA , veterans organizations etc?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,888 times
I agree veterans should get significantly better treatment than they do get, considering they made the ultimate human sacrifice for our freedom. They risked something not any less than someone with earned capital would place in a diversified portfolio with an expected return that justifies the risk taken. For Veterans, why should it be any different? It's one's life that was risked for you and me to be free citizens.

I would propose a state law where business owners get a substantial tax credit for wages paid on Veterans, on top the normal payroll deduction. Then the company, whose goal it is to maximize earnings, can do the math and weigh the new rewards of Veteran hiring when seeking best qualifications in combination with after tax financial gains.

It is Govt/public sector that MUST do the most in rewarding these people because ultimately it was Govt that they paid their lives towards, but we all SHOULD be behind each and every Veteran. Govt must taketh away less from them since they already gave that much more than the rest of us by serving. Businesses must get substantial tax credits should they hire Veterans because the act of helping fund the life of a a working Veteran in the private workforce is the most cost-efficient benefit Govt can offer back. It will give the Veteran more earnings capacity than simply handing out free cash to Veterans. It will make the US Veteran potential job seeker the ultimate lucky charm of any recruiting company, however large or small. Beyond these financial fixes, we should also as a society take it upon ourselves to realize with military experience comes work ethic, motivation, and diligence that companies need to weigh in as well.

Last edited by EricS39; 07-16-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina