Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 02:27 AM

395 posts, read 489,520 times

Advertisements

My bf and I are looking for a warm place to move to after our trailer is paid off, and right now, SC is looking good, but the problem is, my bf and I are both on disability, and only get a little under $1500 a month between the both of us, so, I was wondering, what are some nice places to move to in SC which we could afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,554,696 times
The more expensive areas are near the coast. As long as you don't want to live on the beach, you will find many affordable places to live here.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:00 PM

226 posts, read 369,617 times
Do you have anything specific in mind for where you want to live? Coastal would be difficult on that budget, but we also have midlands to mountains here in SC. Some questions come to mind first though -
Do you need a hospital nearby, or one that has doctors that specialize in a certain area?
Do you prefer a very rural, urban, or suburban setting or do you not care?
Are schools something you are worried about, or are you interested in furthering your education and need a college/tech school near?
SC is a pretty affordable state. My grandparents have a just little more income than you (pension, SS, and disability) and live pretty comfortably in the midlands. They don't do much though, mostly they're homebodies who like to walk the small mall and WalMart as something to do. Occasionally go get lunch/early bird dinner. That sort of thing.

If you can just be a little more specific with your needs and wants, you will be able to get better answers that will probably be more helpful though.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM

395 posts, read 489,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarfield View Post
Do you have anything specific in mind for where you want to live? Coastal would be difficult on that budget, but we also have midlands to mountains here in SC. Some questions come to mind first though -
Do you need a hospital nearby, or one that has doctors that specialize in a certain area?
Do you prefer a very rural, urban, or suburban setting or do you not care?
Are schools something you are worried about, or are you interested in furthering your education and need a college/tech school near?
SC is a pretty affordable state. My grandparents have a just little more income than you (pension, SS, and disability) and live pretty comfortably in the midlands. They don't do much though, mostly they're homebodies who like to walk the small mall and WalMart as something to do. Occasionally go get lunch/early bird dinner. That sort of thing.

If you can just be a little more specific with your needs and wants, you will be able to get better answers that will probably be more helpful though.
I would like to have a hospital near by, in case if something happens to my bf or I. No, it doesn't have to have doctors who specialize in anything. It would be nice to rent a house or mobile home, preferably one where our nearest neighbor would be out of sight, or, at least, a good distance from us. I know that would probably be impossible on such a small income though. Otherwise, a nice 2br apt would be OK, as long as it's one where we don't have to fart sideways to avoid getting the cops called on us. I would also like to be under 15 minutes away from where all the places to shop and eat out at is. Schools aren't a concern to us. As far as having opportunities available to better our lives, it would be nice if it were somewhere where they have special programs available to help people open businesses.

Last edited by alastad; 12-16-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 PM

226 posts, read 369,617 times
I would check around Aiken and Lexington Counties personally. It seems like with both of those areas you can be rural but never more than 15-20 minutes out of town for things to do if you're looking for that. It would probably be a mobile home, although I know some smaller municipalities in both counties have apartments as well. Both have hospitals and larger cities nearby (Aiken and Augusta, Lexington and Columbia). I'm not sure about how great Lexington's hospital is, but I don't recommend Aiken's except for cardiac care and maternity really. Aiken is very close to Augusta, GA though, which has several very good hospitals (Doctor's, University, Trinity, GRU).
SC I think has some programs - I don't remember if they're governmental or non-profit that assist small business owners with opening up, you may want to check the state's website.

Florence County might be another good option, but I personally don't know much about the Florence area (it is near Columbia, has its own CBD and hospital I think) but there are some threads about Florence that are relatively recent on here that you could look at for information.

The closer to the coast you get the more expensive it is, so I would stay away from that. There are some lowcountry counties that would be cheap, like Allendale and Hampton, but they don't have much going on as far as anything to do. I think both have hospitals. Not a lot of restaurants or businesses though, and both are a ways away from the nearest larger metro area.

Greenwood and Anderson would probably be pretty affordable too, although I don't know much about either area. I feel like I don't hear much good about Greenwood TBH although I'm sure there are good places there. Anderson seems nice from the times I've gone through there. Both are closer to the Greenville area which is nice, and near the mountains and lots of lakes.

I hope that helps you some!

Old 12-18-2014, 03:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,379,041 times
Dillon is low cost, has a large hospital, a super Walmart, and the town has affordable housing. In fact, there is an apartment complex almost across from Walmart. There are also quite a few small homes for rent.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 PM

255 posts, read 611,081 times
Kingstree is definitely low cost town. The folks who live in Kingstree are near Charleston, Georgetown, Myrtle Beach, Florence, and Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina