Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times

Advertisements

It seems like South Carolina is starting to attract more transplants as times goes by. Mainly around Charleston, but also Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, the Charlotte suburbs, and tons of retirees around Hilton Head and the Grand Strand. So, the question is, what do you see in the future for South Carolina? Do you believe it'll become less "Old South" and more like neighboring Georgia and North Carolina? More specifically, how about the major metros? Any opinions on what the future holds for the Palmetto State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
It seems like South Carolina is starting to attract more transplants as times goes by. Mainly around Charleston, but also Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, the Charlotte suburbs, and tons of retirees around Hilton Head and the Grand Strand. So, the question is, what do you see in the future for South Carolina? Do you believe it'll become less "Old South" and more like neighboring Georgia and North Carolina? More specifically, how about the major metros? Any opinions on what the future holds for the Palmetto State?
The transplants moving to SC are very different from NC, GA, and VA. Much whiter for one thing - IIRC South Carolina is the only southern state which got whiter from 2000 to 2010. And while the transplants tend to be less overwhelmingly Republican than white South Carolinians, they are more right leaning than the median SC voter, which means the state is actually drifting a bit further to the right still.

Also, one should keep in mind that a lot of SC transplants from the Northeast and Midwest are retirees, meaning they aren't going to have as much of a lasting effect on the local culture.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
My family is 'old' South Carolinians and every time I go back I am saddened by the Florida style strip malling of the state. The Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area is especially upsetting. Trashy retail seems to be more important than the rich history and maintaining that.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:25 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The transplants moving to SC are very different from NC, GA, and VA. Much whiter for one thing - IIRC South Carolina is the only southern state which got whiter from 2000 to 2010. And while the transplants tend to be less overwhelmingly Republican than white South Carolinians, they are more right leaning than the median SC voter, which means the state is actually drifting a bit further to the right still.

Also, one should keep in mind that a lot of SC transplants from the Northeast and Midwest are retirees, meaning they aren't going to have as much of a lasting effect on the local culture.
I disagree with your assessment. The transplant similarities in SC are quite in step with what's happening in NC, GA and VA as the state is being "discovered" by those comparison shopping neighboring states. SC still is a value comparably speaking with the Greenville/Spartanburg, Rock Hill (south side of Charlotte), Charleston and Columbia metros attracting a good deal of corporate relocations from the Northeast and Midwest who by nature are more moderate and less conservative politically than SC natives. Furthermore SC is getting younger, and wealthier via an influx of working residents...not retirees.

Cities on the Rise in South Carolina - NerdWallet

Old 03-28-2015, 07:17 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:

As a person that is local to SC(Greenville area) and who deals with transplants hands on in his business, I disagree some. While there are more whites transplanting in they aren't all white. Some are black as myself.And most of them are more middle leaning as myself in my experience. They've all been younger and working. Whites outnumber blacks in this country, so you're going to have more whites transplanting.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Most of Georgia and North Carolina is not anymore "less south" than SC. The Idea that those two states are less south is ridiculous. SC communities of Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Hilton Head. Are three of the fastest growing on the entire east coast, and I don't see any slow down.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 AM

252 posts, read 349,915 times
Transplants from the north and elsewhere have been moving to SC since after the 1940s or so, yet it is still considered "Old South"? It has become more conservative/Republican over those decades. SC nearly voted 100 percent for FDR. It was a solid Democratic state until Nixon won it. As SC became more affluent and educated, it became a Republican state.

To me, the express ion "Old South" is basically implying it is a still racist south and based on the premise that transplants only recently started moving here.

Last edited by Gamecock Student; 03-28-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM

252 posts, read 349,915 times
Ok, well for some reason the previous poster deleted his long somewhat contentious post in response to mine. Here is my response to his deleted post:

Given industry started up north, it makes sense that most of the HQs are up there. Most of the jobs at a large company are not at the HQs though.

Why do so many people move down to the South Carolina if the pay is horrible and nothing but menial jobs? I don't think Columbia and Greenville's growth is based on retirees. Hilton Head obviously is and Mrtyle Beach. Charleston has a mix

I believe the premise was put forth that the state has become more progressive because of northern transplants who are less conservative. I pointed out the fact that SC has had transplants from the north for decades and it actually became more Republiccan while becoming more affluent and educated.

The observations below are all facts:
Transplants from the north and elsewhere have been coming to SC since FDR.
SC became less racist over the decades.
SC became increasingly affluent over the decades.
SC became increasingly educated over the decades.
SC switched from being a nearly 100 percent voting population for FDR to being a majority Republican state today.

Last edited by Gamecock Student; 03-28-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 09:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:

Wholeheartedly agree.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I disagree with your assessment. The transplant similarities in SC are quite in step with what's happening in NC, GA and VA as the state is being "discovered" by those comparison shopping neighboring states. SC still is a value comparably speaking with the Greenville/Spartanburg, Rock Hill (south side of Charlotte), Charleston and Columbia metros attracting a good deal of corporate relocations from the Northeast and Midwest who by nature are more moderate and less conservative politically than SC natives. Furthermore SC is getting younger, and wealthier via an influx of working residents...not retirees.

Cities on the Rise in South Carolina - NerdWallet
Most of the actual corporate relocations SC is getting aren't from the Northeast and Midwest; they are from NC, as companies cross the border from Charlotte to York and Lancaster counties to still have access to the skilled, educated workforce in Charlotte yet take advantage of the generous incentives and tax breaks provided by SC. Otherwise, SC is mainly getting big manufacturing plants where the bulk of the jobs don't require a whole lot of education or skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina