Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

4,000 of these flag threads are just going in circles. For all you flag supporters, just please...please answer me this. My philosphy is (as Ive stated over and over): there is TWO things every person who lives in this state is: American and South Carolinian. There is 2 flags that fly over our dome: American and Palmetto Blue.

Those are the only two flags that should be flying over the head of every South Carolinian, because they represent all 100% of us. All 4.9m. All corners of the state.

The rebel flag does not represent all of us. So why...please tell me why, does it need to be flown over all of our heads? California has a growing Mexican population, but the Mexican flag does not fly over California: the American and Californian flag with the bear does.

Florida has a huge Cuban population, but the Cuban flag does not fly over Florida. San Francisco has the largest gay population in the country, but the rainbow flag does not fly over city hall. Why? Because Mexicans, Cubans, and gays do not represent all of those places. The confederacy does not represent all of us SC-linians. It may be "your" heritage and represent "you", but it does not represent "us."

So please tell me, why does it need to be over all of us on government property? No one said you cant hang it yourself so why is this a problem? Doesnt matter what it stands or stood for, fact of the matter is most of us dont identify with it, so why cant you honor your ancestors on you own? If you like out in Pickens County, why does the flag need to be up in Columbia? God knows youre not taking a mecca-esque pilgrimage every year to Columbia to see it and bow in front of it. Someone tell me why we cant get it off government grounds and over ALL our heads, and in a museum instead?

It will always be legal in or on your HOME, TRUCK, SHIRT, SKIN, but when majority want it off STATE GROUNDS, why the fuss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:32 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Is the USA the only place in the world that has fought a Civil War and has the flag of the failed nation state flown on the grounds of a government building in the area of that country where that war was fought? I really dont know the answer.. just curious.. I would venture to guess the places that are doing that in the world are still fighting their Civil War or fighting a Cold War at best.....Monuments are one thing.... but flags seem more timeless and represent the present.. after all when a war is fought what is the first thing that is taken down or hoisted as a sign of victory or surrender?
Just to note, the flag is actually flying on a monument. Not sure if you knew that or not.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
There's a difference between someone having a confederate flag on their home, car, or other personal property and flying it on State government grounds. Just like the Nazi flag, if someone wanted to fly it in their privately owned residence or whatever, they have that right. People might not like it but it's their right. So that's why you see them in various other places without much objection. A person who has a problem with someone having a Confederate flag or sticker on their car can't really do anything about it. But on government structures, yes it can and should be challenged and removed.
Can't agree with you more.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:44 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
You're more concerned about the people who, hypothetically, could get hurt in an attack that hasn't happened and in all likelihood won't, than the 9 people who actually have been shot to death. Reconsider your priorities.
Nobody cares about the 9 lives lets be real...we stopped talking about them 2 days after it happened to focus on the confederate flag and statues and other nonsense like that...pathetic....and if the 9 lives werent black they wouldnt even have gotten the 2 days....

and attacks like that already happen it'll just get more brazen cus "they deserve it cus they sum races"

Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM

293 posts, read 826,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Nobody cares about the 9 lives lets be real...we stopped talking about them 2 days after it happened to focus on the confederate flag and statues and other nonsense like that...pathetic....and if the 9 lives werent black they wouldnt even have gotten the 2 days....

and attacks like that already happen it'll just get more brazen cus "they deserve it cus they sum races"
Considering I personally knew several of the 9 people... I care. Along with my family and friends...is that real enough for you?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Nobody cares about the 9 lives lets be real...
My God...please sptop talking.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:29 PM

515 posts, read 482,235 times
Quote:

Nothing but a racist troll. Why even give him the time of day?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Which is the reason I said "if". Here are some details about the most recent poll. A November 2014 poll from Winthrop University found that 73% of whites in the state want the flag to remain where it is. The same poll reported that 61% of blacks want it taken down.

It's up to our representatives now or we can call for another state referendum.

All we need is a national boycott of your state, and your poll results will change in a hurry. If that flag does not come down, I sure hope a national boycott is called for so that your state becomes toxic. Just wait to see how fast those poll results change then. It is time for all those old memorials and tributes to traitors to be torn down. To me and most people I know in Yankeeland, that flag (or rag as I like to call it) is and always has been the flag of traitors.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Is the USA the only place in the world that has fought a Civil War and has the flag of the failed nation state flown on the grounds of a government building in the area of that country where that war was fought? I really dont know the answer.. just curious.. I would venture to guess the places that are doing that in the world are still fighting their Civil War or fighting a Cold War at best.....Monuments are one thing.... but flags seem more timeless and represent the present.. after all when a war is fought what is the first thing that is taken down or hoisted as a sign of victory or surrender?
To answer your first question, yes pretty much. I was appalled the first time I was in the South for work and saw a Confederate monument. My whole life I was taught they were traitors to the USA. Lee took an oath to the Constitution at West Point, and yet took up arms against his own country. He was a traitor and should have been hanged. In fact, in any other country every single leader and member of the Confederate Govt would have been hanged. Lincoln stressed forgiveness and after his death they spared their lives to honor his memory. That is fact. But imo they were wrong. Mass hangings should have taken place. They were terrorists. Look what we do to terrorists today. We give them the death penalty even in ultra liberal MA.

If many Confederates had been hanged, you wouldn't today have this worship of traitors.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
To answer your first question, yes pretty much. I was appalled the first time I was in the South for work and saw a Confederate monument. My whole life I was taught they were traitors to the USA. Lee took an oath to the Constitution at West Point, and yet took up arms against his own country. He was a traitor and should have been hanged. In fact, in any other country every single leader and member of the Confederate Govt would have been hanged. Lincoln stressed forgiveness and after his death they spared their lives to honor his memory. That is fact. But imo they were wrong. Mass hangings should have taken place. They were terrorists. Look what we do to terrorists today. We give them the death penalty even in ultra liberal MA.

If many Confederates had been hanged, you wouldn't today have this worship of traitors.
Hmm, you were taught, in school, that Southerners such as Lee were traitors? I find that a curious statement. I went to boarding school in Connecticut where I, admittedly, received a far superior education to most offered in public school. We were not taught Lee, et al, were traitors. We did learn about the argument post-Civil War on if the Confederates should be considered traitors or not for punishment purposes. Ultimately, in order to not derail the reconstruction process, it was decided to not consider these former Confederates traitors. Just thought your statements were a bit, well, odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina