Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Mississippi.. our archrival is considering taking the Confederate Flag off of their State Flag.. I dont want Mississippi to get ahead of us in ANYTHING.. after all our state motto is "Thank God of Mississippi"...its 50th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:08 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Glad its coming down. Should've never went up. Time to get in the 21st century, and im sick and tired of the negative attention our state has been getting.
What negative attention? Before these two incidets nobody was even paying attention to sc at all unless it was for a nice little vacation

Old 06-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
She never showed leadership on this issue until yesterday. Look up her comments and position on he flag before 4pm yesterday. She displayed courage in changing her position 180°, but let's not whitewash the fact that she had to flip-flop in order to do the right thing.

There is no need to put words in someone else's mouth. You have no idea why someone else dislikes the Governor. Plenty of people do. That's politics.
What she did was the opposite of courage. In the face of public backlash cus of one lone wolf incident she caved and turned on the state
. And she did it so quickly too. Courage woulda been stcking with what she already stood for during this time til it passes

Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It simply does. Years ago, I spent some time checking out white supremacist and nationalist web sites to understand what their message was all about in modern times. And I can tell you that they and their followers routinely use the Confederate flag as one of their symbols. That is what it is associated with. It's not just some drugged up kid like Dylann Roof who displays it that way.

To minorities, not just to black people, flying a Confederate flag has mostly the same effect as flying the Nazi flag. In other words, if you're not white then you better start running. I wish I wasn't exaggerating when I say this.
Thats not the truth. Theres confederate **** all around te south in heavily black cities and states and most people dont really think twice about it and i highly doubt many black people are scared of it, or any random white person for that matter. In the present day south black on white killings/rapes/robberies etc is the norm and white people aint s**** in the streets

Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
She never showed leadership on this issue until yesterday. Look up her comments and position on he flag before 4pm yesterday. She displayed courage in changing her position 180°, but let's not whitewash the fact that she had to flip-flop in order to do the right thing.

There is no need to put words in someone else's mouth. You have no idea why someone else dislikes the Governor. Plenty of people do. That's politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not sure of how much of a real flipflop that was. I doubt she ever had that much emotional or moral investment in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
I'm not sure why this is a "flip flop", or why that has become such a bad thing. Are people not allowed to change their position, ever? I think it is courageous to admit you were wrong in the past, and now that facts have changed you are changing your mind. People changes, attitudes change, and facts come to light on many different issues. Not changing because of fear of being labeled a flip-flopper is not only silly, it's why this country is never going to get any better.
Politicians are supposed to "listen" to the people. If the majority of South Carolinians are calling for the removal of the flag, then the Governor needs to abide by it. You would have to be very naive not to expect a politician to change their views while in office.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Politicians are supposed to "listen" to the people. If the majority of South Carolinians are calling for the removal of the flag, then the Governor needs to abide by it. You would have to be very naive not to expect a politician to change their views while in office.
Eh - I wouldn't go down that road if I were you. Pretty sure the last polling on the issue showed around 60% in favor of keeping the flag. So, if you're in favor or removing the flag, which I believe you are, using a majority voice argument might work against you here.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:51 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Eh - I wouldn't go down that road if I were you. Pretty sure the last polling on the issue showed around 60% in favor of keeping the flag. So, if you're in favor or removing the flag, which I believe you are, using a majority voice argument might work against you here.
Which is the reason I said "if". Here are some details about the most recent poll. A November 2014 poll from Winthrop University found that 73% of whites in the state want the flag to remain where it is. The same poll reported that 61% of blacks want it taken down.

It's up to our representatives now or we can call for another state referendum.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM

503 posts, read 530,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Which is the reason I said "if". Here are some details about the most recent poll. A November 2014 poll from Winthrop University found that 73% of whites in the state want the flag to remain where it is. The same poll reported that 61% of blacks want it taken down.
I saw those poll results from last year but I think you would need to conduct another poll, right now, to accurately take SC's temperature on this. I don't think the impact of this event and the conversation that followed can be underestimated. In particular, those people who were neutral before, or were OK with the flag but didn't strongly support it, seem to have been swayed to the "take it down" side.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:39 AM

503 posts, read 530,322 times
Also, it seems the remaining supporters of the flag are using a variation of the "slippery slope" argument. It has been used to argue against gay marriage, suggesting it opens the door to bestiality marriages and other nonsense. In this case, the fear is that allowing the confederate flag to be taken down will start some kind of domino effect where all confederate monuments are removed.

This argument ignores important differences between the flag and the monuments, namely that monuments are not used as a symbol by hate groups and racists. Relying on paranoia rather than logic, I doubt it will effectively persuade anyone that wasn't already in the pro-flag camp.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Mississippi.. our archrival is considering taking the Confederate Flag off of their State Flag.. I dont want Mississippi to get ahead of us in ANYTHING.. after all our state motto is "Thank God of Mississippi"...its 50th
Mississippi is not our archrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina